Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 01M900 about 16 months ago. It was a holdover. I have about 1500 miles on it (I know, not many, I spent the whole last year remodeling my house). At any rate, I've noticed lately that my shifting is a little t ough and that neutral is hard to find. Tonight after riding I barely got home. I've heard about the clutch slave so I started checking. Pulled the clutch cover and hardly any movement in the plates. The lever would only pull a little ways then get very hard. I cracked the blead screw and the lever would come all the way back (like it used to). I went through the bleeding process anyhow but no good. I pulled the slave off and found there was quite a bit of fluid that came out once it was loose. I cleaned it up, put it back on, and t he clutch now works ok. But for how long. Sounds like the slave is bad.

The question is, do dealers in general work with you if you want an aftermarket slave at this point? I didn't find the stock to pull to hard but if I could get a YOYO I'd probably go for it. I have to get this fixed before bike week. I'm also leary of riding the bike to the dealer. I hope they just let me bring the slave in. Is there any way to tell if the slave I have is one of the faulty ones. I had heard once that the correct ones had a white dot or something on the back side or something.

I'd hate to have to ride my Honda or my Harley to the Ducati Day. That would be a pisser. I have no way to trailer this thing into Longwood to the dealer.

My Italian Mistress is toying with me, I don't like that.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
The slave may be covered by a recall...check with your dealer

Recall: 2 of 3
Recall Ref: RM2002/001
Exact Model:
Description: POTENTIAL LOSS OF CLUTCH CONTROL
VIN:
Build Date:
Numbers: 1716
Defect: The clutch slave cylinder may leak, resulting in loss of hydraulic fluid and clutch control.
Action: Replace clutch slave cylinder with a quality assured unit.
Launch Date: 01 March 2002

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
You should call the dealer with VIN number and they can tell you if its a recall.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yours lasted a whole 1500 eh? :p 01 monster 750 here. Definitly take her in, I had my slave replaced @ my 600 maintenance. I had to blead it 2x's before they replaced it under the recall.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes the correct ones have a white dot behind the slave cylinder. you should be able to see it with a small mirror. at this point there are a bunch of after market solutions available.
1). yoyodyne
2). evoluzione
3). motowheels(new one)
4). spareshack seems to have one too.
3 and 4 seems like are made by the same guys.

I dint find any reviews about 3 and 4 but here is the comparision between yoyo and evo.
http://ducatigarage.netfirms.com/cylinders.html

But if u want to stay with the stock cylinder u should be able to claim the recall or the warranty if u still have it.

Anil

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I saw no white dot when I looked last night. Mine must be old. I may get it anyhow and either sell on ebay or get the Evo one for like 125 from motowheels.

although I can hear my wife now, 'that thing costing us again?'

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, looks like I'll have to settle for the stock duc slave. oh well, any slave is better than a leaking one. they are going to try and get it in by saturday. I told them I'd hate to have to ride my Harley to the Ducati Day at Daytona cause my Monster is laid up. I hope they get it in.

They wouldn't just let me put it in myself though (that would sure be a lot easier). I guess since it's a safety recall and all they want to limit their liability. I guess I can understand that, they don't know if I'm competent or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts