Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a 06 S2R with roughly 5700 miles on it and had some questions for the owners out there.

1. What would you say is good/fair price on this bike? Looking at NADA it looks to be around 5500 but NADA doesn't account for miles or anything else. The price a dealer has it listed as, is 6500.
2. The tires look to be maybe stock as the tread depth looks to be fairly worn. I didn't have a penny or any other change on me to check it out. If I were look at putting new tires on the bike, what would you say is the average cost? I know it all depends on size and where you get them at.
3. With having 5500 miles, is there anything I need to look at specifically as in wear wise or leaking?
4. What mileage intervals due you need to have valves looked/adjusted?
5. What is the average maintenance cost on this bike? Is it possible to do your own oil changes?

Any other things you can think of would be greatly appreciated. If they don't go down much on the price, I'll probably just get a new 696 as for the price, I think I might be better off with a new bike. I'm planning on taking it for a ride tomorrow to see how it rides.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
S2r800

I'm looking to purchase a 06 S2R with roughly 5700 miles on it and had some questions for the owners out there.
I love my S2R800. Great bike for all around riding. Struggles to keep up with the sportbikes on group rides but it is sure fun trying.
1. What would you say is good/fair price on this bike? Looking at NADA it looks to be around 5500 but NADA doesn't account for miles or anything else. The price a dealer has it listed as, is 6500.
Just for reference, I only paid $7000 for mine a little over a year and a half ago from the local Ducati dealer (it was a trade in). It had 900 miles on it and was completely stock.
2. The tires look to be maybe stock as the tread depth looks to be fairly worn. I didn't have a penny or any other change on me to check it out. If I were look at putting new tires on the bike, what would you say is the average cost? I know it all depends on size and where you get them at.
Buying new and having installed at the Dealer is roughly gonna be about $250 to $300. (Michelin Road II)
3. With having 5500 miles, is there anything I need to look at specifically as in wear wise or leaking?
Be aware that you are 500 miles from a pretty expensive 6000 mile service. You might want to check to see if it has had that service yet. Probably not.
4. What mileage intervals due you need to have valves looked/adjusted?
I think the intervals are 600, 6000, 1200, 1800, and so on at every 6000 miles. At least that is what I am following.5. What is the average maintenance cost on this bike? Is it possible to do your own oil changes?
Scheduled service is expensive. Skimping out on it can be even more expensive. I would expect any scheduled dealer service to be around $400 to $500 (no matter what 2V Duc you buy. 4V will be a little more).
Any other things you can think of would be greatly appreciated. If they don't go down much on the price, I'll probably just get a new 696 as for the price, I think I might be better off with a new bike. I'm planning on taking it for a ride tomorrow to see how it rides.
It's all a matter of preference. I like the SR looks better then the new Monsters. Aftermarket parts are more accessible and cheaper for the SR bikes. Can't give you much of a comparison because I have never ridden the 696, but I have read that a lot of 696 riders have soon wanted to upgrade to the 1100. Not sure what you are looking for, but if you like power and are gonna drop $ for a new bike, you might want to ride and compare the 696/1000 before you buy.
Just my .02.

Thanks
Hope all of this info helps. Good luck in picking out your bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply.
I like the looks of the older bikes, which is why I was thinking of going this route. Right now I mostly use my bike for a 60 mile round trip to work and back. Which is about 15 miles on two lane road with not much traffic and the other 15 on 4 lanes with a little bit of traffic and some in town driving. I'm not really into the whole power thing as like I said, right now I mostly just ride it to work and back and then maybe on the weekend I'll take it out for a ride. So I was looking at the older 620's and happen to come across this S2R at the dealership. It's a trade in and has your normal scratches here and there for a three yr old bike. I doubt that the 6K service has been done as the dealership is a Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki,Yamaha, KTM and Can-AM dealer. So it looks like I need to give the local ducati dealer a call and see what they charge for the service fees. I figured the service was a little expensive which I'm hoping to get it for a cheaper price and then I'll have some extra to use for the service and possibly new tires. Again, I appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 06 S2R1000 with 6600 miles and 6000 miles service complete was $5,475.00 That also included a new rear tire and an aftermarket mid-pipe, evo slave cylinder, tail-chop kit and carbon hugger. That was about a month ago, private sale.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts