Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 1994 m900 with the 944 kit and flat slide carbs today. It is REAL fast! Runs very strong. It is hard to start though. The guy said it is because of the high compression with the 944 kit. You have to turn it on, hit the start button, and then move the throttle back and forth untill it gets to just the right spot for it to turn over. It wont even make a sound until the throttle is in the right spot. I wonder if there is a stronger starter I can get or some other trick.

(the rest of this post is from before I bought the bike)

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Re: Looking to buy, need advice

The two big items to worry about, other than the obvious wear/tear/maintenance/cleanliness items(tires, chain, brakes) are 1) the valve adjustment you mentioned; and 2) cam belts.

If the seller can't provide bonafide receipts proving when both were done (cam belts every 12K miles), plan on doing that when you bring it home.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the advice, I will ask him about the clutch and cam belts.
How do you think I will like the power on this bike?
My last bikes were a 2002 Kawasaki ZX6R and I had a 2002 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior 1700 cruiser. I am also buying an R1 along with my commuter which may or may not be this monster.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts

The only other bike I've ridden besides the M900 in the last 22 yrs is a ZX6R (at Codes Superbike School). The handling, although different between them, feels even to me in terms of what they will do on the track(both are more bike than I can fully exploit). The Duc has more torque at lower rpms and never suddenly hits a power peak, although as it get into the upper third of the rpm range you can tell the horsepower is really starting to build faster - but still smoothly. But that torque makes everyday riding a lot of fun because you never feel like you are caught in the wrong gear. I try to avoid wheelies, but every once in a while it will lift the front in first or second gear when I pin it under the right conditions. It will definitely spin up the rear tire in first gear if you crank in too much throttle while leaned over in a turn. In those cases you can modulate, but can't chop the throttle because the engine braking would cause a high side before you blinked - just keep the throttle steady until the rear wheel settles in.

The footpegs on the Monster are lower than the ZX6R - or I should say that the other way around. When I first got on the ZX6R, I kept reaching for the peg and had to look down to find it with my foot. At that point I wished I had stretched the knees on my leathers a little more, since they were broken in to the ergos of the Monster ;D

I love the Monster. I also really like the ZX6R a lot, and it is on the list of models I would consider as a second bike if I could afford another one. Two different machines, but both excellent for what they are.

I don't have any cruiser experience to throw in for comparison.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

that's a nice price. specially considering there's $2000 of mods in the engine... (FCRs and the 944). yup, ensure the belts are happy and ride on. ducatis aren't about straight line racing, so don't go pickin on bikes for speed contests. BUT, in real world, everyday riding, the 944 cc 2V engine with them carbs will make you smile.

ZX6, huh? hehehe, what happens when you open the throttle at 5000 rpm? do that on the duck, but make sure you're pointed in safe direction!!! :) :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Actually I tickled the carbs a bit and put an ignition advancer on the ZX6 so it did have a little mid range punch, but nothing like the torque on my warrior 112lbs. @ 2500rpm

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I am going to go pick it up on Mon. So you guys may be hearing from me alot. I didnt ask if he had a service manual but if he doesnt where can I get one cheap?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Edited original post

·
Registered
150 Posts
Picked up a 1994 m900 with the 944 kit and flat slide carbs today. It is REAL fast! Runs very strong. It is hard to start though. The guy said it is because of the high compression with the 944 kit. You have to turn it on, hit the start button, and then move the throttle back and forth untill it gets to just the right spot for it to turn over. It wont even make a sound until the throttle is in the right spot. I wonder if there is a stronger starter I can get or some other trick.

(the rest of this post is from before I bought the bike)
Im not sure about the 944 kit but i know when i had flatslides on my bike if i opened the throttle for about 3 to 5 seconds before i hit the start button i had no problems with my bike Granted i had dynacoils on it and im in san diego so it was never too cold in the morning when i started it

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Your main starting problem is that the FCRs have no choke. Put some hiperf coils & wires on it & it will become easier although never quite like the stockers. You might also try a bigger battery if needed. Your starter is fine.
PS: A 636 will spank a monster like King Kong would a chimpanzee!!

M

·
0 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the Monster fold. You won't be disappointed. Sorry to hear about the starting glitch, but that post about not having a choke on the FCRs is probably on the money. A bit of throttle cranking to get some fuel into the jugs probably gets it going. I would also think a bit stronger battery might help push the higher comp pistons through a little quicker - can't hurt! Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help, I started another thread in the tech forum on the starting problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts