Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already searched the past year for insurance and GEICO comments and found some good info.

Now with the second bike, I'm going to be forced to insure the bikes with someone other than USAA where I will always insure my cars. The USAA rates for the bikes is more than I can cover on two of them.

I got a real good quote from GEICO, and will probably switch the bikes to them by the end of the week. I just wanted to get one more opinion check in before switching.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I have very basic coverage on my 750. I pay about 68 every 6 mo. I haven't had to deal with them as far as claims but they have always been a very informative people oriented company to me. I recommend

-Patrick

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I cover 6 bikes on a Progressive group policy, 2 riders (wife and myself) with the Duck at full coverage, all other liability only. I think I only pay about $300 a year for the whole group.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i hate you all. especially you lrutt :p i pay 160 a month for one duc w/ medium coverage. no accidents, good driver discount, but the added shaft of being 20.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Hey man I only got a lil over a year on you ;) . 21 soon to be 22 here. Switch to Geico. Haha

-Patrick

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
GEICO is the company that likes to buy speed guns and give 'em to the constabulary :mad:

If that's what they're gonna do with profits from my business, I say fu<k 'em!

I'm staying with USAA on all my vehicles.

My bike USAA rates don't seem that bad, but I have to admit I've never shopped around.

·
Registered
153 Posts
GEICO pulled the old "bait and switch" on me last year.

They quoted a really great rate so I signed up, then they sent me a bill for four times as much as the quote.

Not too good...

Jeff

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
GEICO is the company that likes to buy speed guns and give 'em to the constabulary :mad:

If that's what they're gonna do with profits from my business, I say fu<k 'em!

I'm staying with USAA on all my vehicles.

My bike USAA rates don't seem that bad, but I have to admit I've never shopped around.
agreed. that's why i don't use Geico for my cars.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Also a victim of GEICO's bait n switch routine. Stay away from them at all cost. I think the AMA has an insurance deal with Progressive but you are most likely better off just doing some research and finding the best deal for you.

S

·
0 Posts
i shopped around and pay 311 a year with progressive online for a 250 deductible on liability and comp. I'm 25 and I live in downtown Baltimore (hence the comprehensive).
I feel like it's a pretty decent deal, especially given that this is my first bike.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used to work for GEICO in Macon, GA. I didn't like workin g there but they really try to be honest and they pay their claims. The only reason they do the "bait and switch" is if what the driving record on file is different from what the applicant stated. Some states it takes a few days to get the driving record back. If the price is good, it is truly a good company.

N

·
0 Posts
I have Geico for almost full coverage on my Ninja 250 (I'm buying a Ducati! SO SHUSH! hehe), and they make me pay $90 every 2-3 months, i think it's almost $400-500 a year I guess; maybe $600. The crappy thing is, I'm just now 21, but I'm still considered in the high-risk state of 16 year olds. But I drive my bike responsibly, and I hardly speed...faster than 100...on rural roads...j/k... *wink wink*

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the inputs everyone. Florida's no-fault situation makes decent medical payment insurance pretty costly. It would have been about $2700 per year for both bikes and $50,000 med pay with USAA(who I had the Ducati with) and not much reduction if I cut the med pay way back; around $1800 per year with Progressive and $10K med coverage; and about $980 per year for both bikes with GEICO and $2k medical payment (the max they will write in FL). Those quotes are with $100/300K liability and UIM and full comprehensive. The low medical coverage is offset by the fact that if it's used up then I go into the other party's liability, then if that's used up or it's a hit & run situation it draws on my UIM. Plus my health insurance as a military retiree is of some use to fill in gaps.

So, "Heh, heh, heh, heh.... I just saved myself some money on my motorcycle insurance with GEICO"

·
Registered
153 Posts
The only reason they do the "bait and switch" is if what the driving record on file is different from what the applicant stated.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Mark,

I don't get it. Those numbers you quoted are just out of this world!

I also don't understand how GEICO beats USAA. They both have to work within the same state regulations and I've never heard of anyone eligible for USAA coverage find another carrier would beat the premiums.

You have to remember the USAA dividends. A few hundred bucks shows up in my mailbox periodically.

Of course $200 doesn't do much to offset a $50k premium!

Something's just not right.

·
Registered
599 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM STATE FARM!! Those guys really jerked me around when I wrecked my monster. I had full coverage and was beginning to wonder if they were gonna pull through! Funny enough, Progressive and Geico, two companies that advertise how "motorcycle" oriented they are quoted me the highest! I went w/ State Farm and have been happy so far, but I have yet to deal with them on any issues.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don,

The big difference between USAA and GEICO in my case is that USAA would only write the same amounts of coverage for all vehicles on the same policy - which meant I had $50K in Med Payment on the Ducati, just like my cars. Due to payout rates in FL, that meant over $800/yr just for the Med Pay premium part and total premium of about $1370/yr on the Duc. Adding a second bike puts that kind of premium over the top for me.

With GEICO, they will only write $2K in Med Pay in this state, so the premiums are much lower. The comprehensive and liability coverage is pretty much in line with that part of the USAA policy. As I mentioned in my most recent post above, I can live with the reduced med coverage because of the way the other party's liability and my UIM kick in, plus some limited usefulness from my military retiree coverage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts