Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for Michelin tyre pressure recommendations .

Yesterday I put on a set of - Pilot Roads - and the installer said run them at 36 Front / 40 Rear

I can not find the website that offers any info in this matter. I want to confirm his advice and I am sure Michelin publish it somewhere?

I scrubbed them in today (200 kms ride) and to my mind they handled real well but the bike felt a bit hard and vibey. Even my mirrors seemed a little more blurred than usual. The improved handling is in part from the fact they are new and without the square sections of my worn tyres but maybe they are just a bit hard ????

I had run my previous tyres - Metzler RoadTech Z6's - at 33 F/ 36 R

Anyone ....????

·
Registered
51,206 Posts
Had some Pilot Roads on my M750CR up until about 6 weeks ago. My bike has been severly lightened over a stocker (around 350 lbs now) and I think the tires are more suited for a heavier bike.

At times when I was 'wicking it up' a notch, the back felt squirrely and the front felt vague. I ran mine at 35 front and 33 rear. They were 160/60 rear and 120/60 front. I switched to Pilot Powers and now it grips like mad, but on certain freeway rain-grooves when leaned over..the handlebars wobble a bit. Very disconcerting!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Most Monsters have 32/34 in the manual for recommended pressures. That is what the tire manufacturer will recommend.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmmmm...

Here is what Metzler said on their site for my 2002 S4 - F 34 / R36 withRoad Tech Z6's. ( it worked for me)

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/tyre...r+S4+916&confirm=true&IMAGE1.x=77&IMAGE1.y=12

Regarding comments about the manual : I do not know how the bike manufacturer can can work out tire pressures on tyres that have not been designed or manufacteured. Eg a 2002 bike and a 2006 tyre design ( compound/development etc..)

·
Registered
562 Posts
What the others have said. The numbers in the manual are what you should use. If you are experienced enough to know the effects of pressure changes, those numbers can be your starting point instead of being "set in stone".

·
Registered
124 Posts
i think tire pressure is a personal item depending on feel. i have run 32 front and 34 rear in the summer with bags or passenger on. i have run 28 front and 30 rear in winter and no additional load.

see what feels best to you, what are to trying to achieve? long wear or maximum grip?

the lower the pressure that doesnt deform the tire when loaded will give maximum grip and shortest life.

your weight also will change the equation, i weigh 170 lbs, so you may have to adjust accordingly.

i have gotten up to 14k miles out of a set and as little as 6k, depends on what you want them to do. overall one of the best all around tires on the market, imo.

i am currently using dunlop d220, when cold <40f i have used 27 ft and rear, and they seem to get warm when riding to work, but really dont get up to temp. will be putting pilot roads back on when these wear out, probably spring time.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just found the Michelin recommendation for these tyres and an S4 Monster

2.2 bar Front and 2.5 Bar Rear (32 / 36 psi)

I will use this as my starting point but it is consistent with my Metzler pressures I was running so I am going to be much more comfortable at these levels.

Surprises me why my shop always adamantly recommends such high pressures. They are a big respected shop and do racing tyres as well as road and off road bike tyres.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.