Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the market for a tailchop kit for my 2009 M1100 for about 2-3 weeks....but I can't find instructions or very much info on how much cutting/fabricating is required for the various kits I've found.

I'm currently interested in any information anyone could provide on the installation processes for the Rizoma, R&G and the CW kits. I'm leaning more toward the Rizoma kit (I'm just partial to the look of the Rizoma products).

As for specific questions:
-Does anything actually need to be cut off the bike during installation?
-Does the Servo have to be moved? (and how complicated is it to move?)

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

P.S. - If you can't tell....yes, this is my first mod on my first Ducati (a 1 month old bike) and I'm skittish still....but that gawd awful black plastic whale's tongue has GOT to go!

·
Registered
45 Posts
CW was easy enough to install. Took me about an hour and half. Nothing had to be chopped off the bike but you do have to relocate the seat lock and that took me about 30 mins to get the mechanism to work properly. The kit overall works fine and looks good although if I had any patience I would have waited on the R&G. It is a little cleaner looking but also more expensive. When I started looking for a tail chop the R&G kit was going to take 6 weeks to get to me so I decided I couldn't wait that long.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Yes, you have to remove the servo. Unplug the elec, and then undo the cable from the butterfly valve area (c clip). I like to take before pictures of the area I'm working in just in case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies all. I think I'm going with the Rizoma after a little input from other members in PMs. Something about Rizoma's billet aluminum on the monster just looks awesome to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, to my extreme dismay...nobody seems to have Rizoma tail chop kits available. I kicked off my rear turn signal my first week owning the bike so I can't wait around for someone to get one in.

The local Ducati dealer has the CW kit in stock....but its for the 696. They weren't even aware that there was one for the 1100....nor did they realize that the underseat configuration was different on the 1100 vs 696.

Anyone know if its possible to use the 696 kit on the 1100? If so, what happens to the exhaust servo on the 1100 that seems to be in a position to interfere with installation?

·
Registered
42 Posts
From what I have read, I wouldnt attempt to use the 696 kit on the 1100... Its just not worth it, especially since its pretty easy to order the 1100 kit and its the same price. People have done it, but there was alot of modifications involved. If you search around you will find early posts when the 1100 first launched, but since the two kits are the same price, just order the correct one is my suggestion :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good god, every site I've looked at for tail chop kits is out....Rizoma/DP/TidyTail/CW....not ONE to be had and nobody knows when they'll be in.

Sure am glad Ducati made such SH** turn signal hangers....seems everyone has either broken them (like me) or hates em (also, like me).

Guess I'm sticking with my vulcanizing tape (no pun intended) to hold the turn signal on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't Dispair

Call Ducati Seattle. I did the same thing you did- kicked off my rear right turn indicator in my first week of riding the Monster 1100. I called Seattle, they had the official ducati 1100 chop kit, I had it within three days. Installation was a little challenging, and requires that you cut the piece to fit a US license plate versus the European one. Other than that, you've got your chop tail kit as quick as quick can be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally...PJs finally got some Rizoma parts in today. My Fox kit is on its way....should have it by Tuesday.

I'll post some install pics when I do it.

First "mod" on the Monster....should be entertaining. Maybe I'll video tape the entire op so's yall can have a good laugh.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok, so now I know why there aren't any pictures on the forums of the process to install a tail chop.

There's very little space to fit everything you need to fit (tools, wires and the tail kit itself). Its literally like trying to stuff 10 pounds of sh** into a 5 pound bag...so pictures would be so cluttered with parts they would be worthless to anyone trying to figure out how to do it.

I started taking pics while I was taking things apart to post here but quickly found that I needed to post more pictures than was reasonable.

The entire process took me a little over 5 hours to complete, with all the cramming of wires and getting components to fit again (namely the locking mechanism and its cable, the exhaust servo and all the wires/resistors for the LED lighting). First I thought I was mildly retarded but no, its the manufacturers...there's just not enough space to fit all the parts in the kit.

The only advice I can give anyone about buying and installing a tail kit is this: Pick one that you LIKE, order it, and then dig in and figure things out. I was nervous about tearing into a brand new ducati but once you get the tail off there's really not much to it. There are only two real concerns while you're doing the install; 1 - Disconnect the entire tail from the electrical system so you don't accidentally ground anything out, and 2 - When you're re-installing the tail, you have to make sure all the wires don't interfere with the servo or the locking mechanism (eventually the servo is going to cut your wires if you're not careful during the instal).

Now that I've done it once, I'm pretty sure that I could do it again in about an hour or so. I'm planning to tear it all back apart this weekend, cut all the wires to required length, solder connections and shrinkwrap everything to water proof it.

Hind sight being 20/20 I should have already had all the stuff to solder/cut to length while I was doing the install...ah well, its done now...on to the next mod!

Thanks again to all those who replied to my posts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts