Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get my first bike.... and starting to really fall for some of the naked bikes (esp. the Monster). My question: I am 6' 6" ... Will i fit on a bike with 31 1/2 inch seat height?? Any other recommendations or comments are much appreciated. I am in San Francisco. Thx.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I'm 6'0" and I've owned both an M750 and an S4. The S4 has a slightly higher standover height and I do find it more comfortable than the M750. However, I would not recommend an S4 for a first bike. I would recommend getting a cheap bike for your first just because most people drop their first bike and even in a parking lot a drop is easier to swallow with a cheap bike. Look at something like a Kawi EX500. You'll out grow it quickly and you'll have picked up skills which will let you evaluate a new purchase better. That'll be 2 cents.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
At 6' 6", you're going to be cramped on most bikes and for sure on a Monster. I would expect that your knees would not fit properly into the indentations in the tank where the knees of normal people are supposed to go. I'm 6" 1' and depending on where I place my foot on the footpeg, occasionally find that my knees don't fit in properly.

Visit a dealer and sit on one to find out if you can live with how you fit on the bike or not.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I'm 6'2 and fit comfortably on a m750 at rest. Having not have the joy of riding one yet i cant say if i'm going to be uncomfortable in motion, moving myself around the bike etc but i've a good feeling i will be and if not... there's plenty you can do with the seat :)

One thing i've often wondered about us larger people on nakid bikes... touring. I've never ridden a nakid bike above 125cc so speed wasnt really an issue.. what's it like crusing at 80mph for any distance? I can imagine you feel like a big windsock attached to a bike and end up with rather long arms....

As scott said, best thing to do it to get to a dealer and get a ride on one, thats my plan

jon

G

·
Hi,
I am 6"3, 57 years old and travel with my M600 every summer from Norway to Austra / Italy, no problems, you just go ahead and get your self a monster.

G

·
Hey Slim,
Where in Norway do you live? I used to live in Stavanger about 4 yrs ago. The most beautiful place I've ever lived. I would have loved to have a bike while I was there.

... sorry off topic

G

·
My $00.02. Get a used ninja 250 or 500 and learn to ride and if you drop it you will not be as mad as if it were new. The ninja 250 or 500 is really easy to learn basic skills on, then when you decided you like riding you can get a really nice monster. ;)

G

·
Hi Stuart,
I live just outside Oslo, our Capital. I use my Monster every day during the summer to go to work in the city. I love the Monster, but hate the present Ducati design team.
I lived in Austria for 2 years so I go there for 2 weeks every summer. Great county, great people.

Slim

·
Registered
461 Posts
For a first bike I recommend the Kawasaki KLR650.

It's tall enough for a long guy to be comfortable on, flicks through traffic, hauls on the highways, can bobble along off-road, carries the groceries or a passenger (larger load weight capacity than a Gold Wing), sips a tiny bit of regular gas, costs less than most any other bike, never breaks but with cheap spare parts (because grips and peg rubbers wear out), looks more macho than an M151 with machine gun, goes 12K miles on a rear tire, will scrape the pegs, has a range of 240+ miles with the stock tank, and is the most comfortable stock motorcycle this side of the aforementioned Gold Wing.

It's also the motorcycle I'd keep if I had to pick only one for the rest of my life.

-Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am 58 years old, 6'1" and 215 lbs. Got back into riding a couple years ago and am on my 3rd bike since. Looks like you received a lot of advice already. I would not recommend any Duc as your first bike. You will quickly outgrow anything less than 900cc - though the resale is good. Go buy something used and Japanese. A Honda CBR600 F3 is where I (re) started and was a good choice. Easy to ride slowly and no quirks - expcept for the kick at 7K rpm. Easy to ride slow. Don't get over your head too quickly. All of these bikes will kill you (actually, it's the terminally stupid cell-phone users who will get first chance).

Went next to a Speed Triple, a fabulous bike, but finally aboard a Duc S4 and it's hard to look back.

Ducs are fabulous. But quirky at first. Kind of like when I drove my first Ferrari or Porsche 911. Takes some getting used to, but the "edge" and the skill required to do it right is so satisfying once you got it down.

Good luck and be prepared for a satidfying experience. Just ride what fits you best and quit watching "Matrix" movies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts