Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some pretty cool ones in pictures on this site. I have a 2006 S2R 800. Anyone know of any good companies to get covers for both the right and left side? (I'm in Canada, so either there or the U.S)

Thanks all

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
do you mean covers to cover the existing cases or cosmetically enhanced replacements? [cheeky]

I am just trying to clarify as I wasn't sure which one you meant myself.

Q

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
you have a wet clutch which pretty much takes you out of the interesting case covers market on the clutch side....unless you want to be the 1st and have some sort of new case cover made...or do a dry clutch conversion like what is on the 900cc and 1000cc motors

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here's the thing.. i had a bit of a "incident" on a gravel road. My right side case cover is scratched up..(I'm just happy no damage was done to the tank) So I figured insted of just replacing it, I'd spruce it up a little.. My Bike is the tangerine one with the black stripe.. i figured a black case cover would be a nice Mod... and the first of likely many..
zooom said:
you have a wet clutch which pretty much takes you out of the interesting case covers market on the clutch side....unless you want to be the 1st and have some sort of new case cover made...or do a dry clutch conversion like what is on the 900cc and 1000cc motors
So i guess this means I'm stuck.. How would you conver to a dry clutch?.. what's the benefit?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
If you pull the covers... you could get them powder coated. But that's a good bit of effort.

Search for 'dry clutch conversion' There's a thread that goes over the whole process. But suffice to say it's not easy or particularly cheap to do.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Wild Hair Accessories, (which offers alot of streetfighter accessories) used to offer carbon fiber engine case protectors for Monsters. They were molded to fit over the engine cases. I just checked their site and they aren't on the site anymore, perhaps if you drop them a line they can help you.

-michelle

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
DIY engraving.....get the dremel out and don't forget to post pics.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
I think we have a CF left or right side case cover in stock...but the clutch side was for a dry clutch motor.

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
EASIEST but not BEST way to fix a rash on a case cover would be to sand down the entire cover (just rough it up a bit). Then sand down any material that may stick out from the scratches.

you can use JB weld to fill in the deep scratches, let it dry for 13+ hours. then sand again to original shape using coarse to fine grit paper.

use a black rattle can primer, spray 3-4 coats, sand 400+ grit every 3 coats just to rough it up. make sure you find primer rated for higher temps.

then use the flat high temp engine enamel, spray a couple coats...

there you got it. It won't be as durable as powder coating, but you can do it without removing the cover.

I would do this as a temp. fix until you can either get a new one or a used one.

Q

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I believe they're cast aluminum. they will polish up, but won't shine like billet. You might have to use fine sandpaper first to get it real smooth then polish. unless you wanna keep polishing it, I'd clear coat it.
MM

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
jswledhed said:
On a somewhat related note, anyone ever stripped and polished the case covers? I assume they're just aluminum and will take a polish like anything else, right? 8)
yes, mine are stripped, and I polished mine to a brushed finish to match the rest of my bike.

Others have polished theres, and I've seen some to a mirror finish.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Industrial_Grrrl said:
yes, mine are stripped, and I polished mine to a brushed finish to match the rest of my bike.

Others have polished theres, and I've seen some to a mirror finish.

Girl, you got TASTE . great looking bike. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.