Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turn signal switch and horn button on my 2000 Monster 750 Dark stick like crazy, so I am hoping to splice in a new set of handlebar switches (may as well do the right side while I am at it, to keep them matching in appearance).

Of course, the wiring harnesses on my replacement switches don't match the originals on the bike, so I need to splice them in myself. The number of wires seems correct, and I know what is what on the new ones thanks to the wiring diagram they came with, but I am hoping for a better-than-guess-and-check method of figuring out which wire is which on the bike.

Do any of you have a wiring diagram for these two switches (particularly the left) for this bike? I've attached some photos of what I believe to be the existing left handlebar switch wiring harness to this post.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
It's not really that big of deal to figure out. First step I would take would be disconnect the factory connections and figure out exactly what type they are. If you can get fresh new terminals and reuse the connector life will be easier and everything will look slot cleaner. Looks like Metri-pack 150 sealed perhaps? Once you disassemble the old switches it's pretty easy to see what wires go where.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Why didn t you try to clean up the inside of your switch ? I also had a case of turn signal switch feeling as if moving through goo. Found plenty of dried out grease inside. Clean it up, add some fresh one and back like new. Easy to take apart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why didn t you try to clean up the inside of your switch ? I also had a case of turn signal switch feeling as if moving through goo. Found plenty of dried out grease inside. Clean it up, add some fresh one and back like new. Easy to take apart.
That's a good suggestion! Although the outside is pretty faded and ugly at this point, and new switches were dirt cheap (~$25 for the pair), so I think I want to splice them in for the sake of having jet-black and blood-red plastic replace the faded stuff currently on the bike.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I picked up some Triumph switch gear on eBay. Not expensive and a little newer. Did the right side just to finally get rid of the unnecessarily huge start/stop switch. The left hand wasn't a major change in size. But it is a little smaller, and everything matches.

:sick:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not really that big of deal to figure out. First step I would take would be disconnect the factory connections and figure out exactly what type they are. If you can get fresh new terminals and reuse the connector life will be easier and everything will look slot cleaner. Looks like Metri-pack 150 sealed perhaps? Once you disassemble the old switches it's pretty easy to see what wires go where.
Wow! I don't know how you found that but it looks like you might be spot on. Looks like I can even get one on Amazon. That will be some tedious assembly but very clean and water-tight if I can get it right.

Does anyone have a crimper recommendation for tight spaces? The thought of trying to fit my full-scale stripping/crimping tool in the frame of my bike gives me nightmares.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I hate to see you have to buy an entire new connector(s) when you probably just need a few terminals. I'd pull it apart and see, the 150 series can be a pain because there's so many variants when it comes to tracking down just the terminals. If I was going to completely redo it, those are expensive and frankly a little overkill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts