Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Looking for a backpack

6K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  JPV 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a backpack that they have been really happy with? I am looking for one that I can put my laptop and other stuff into for a commute to work.

#5 ·
I've been using a North Face 'Hot Shot' pack and like it a lot. There's a compartment on the inside that holds a laptop in place so it's not flopping around. I've got an IBM T23 which is fairly thin, a thicker laptop or one with a larger screen may not fit in that section though. I think I paid $65 at the local sporting-goods store but I've seen them online since for about half that price.

http://www.epinions.com/otdr-Backpacks-Daypack-The_North_Face_Daypack-Hot_Shot/display_~reviews

#7 ·
I use an Oakley messenger-style bag. Easily fits my iBook and a ton of other stuff. Very secure, though the double outside flap is something of a pain in the arse.
Dion

#8 ·
I have this backpack and like it so much that I don't know why they didn't call it the Bad Ass instead of the Hot Shot.

In fact, tho normally I use it as a backpack, for last weekend's adventures it was stuffed to the hilt and I used it as a tailpack (put the waist strap thru the grab bars to fasten and cinch tight, add a small cargo net for extra reinforcement and it is as sturdy as can be). Versatility - I dig it.

I've been using a North Face 'Hot Shot' pack and like it a lot.

#16 ·
Whatever you do make sure the backpack has a good waste belt. I have had shoulder straps fail while riding, if they do say goodbye to that laptop. The waste belt will also take the weight off of your shoulders, which is helpfull for long rides. The best design for this is usually small hiking day/day and a half packs.

Another note is to make sure that the opening will stay closed at highway speeds. I had a backpack open up on me on the highway, ever since I make sure the two zippers are down low on the side (they were meeting at the top when it opened). Hope that makes sense....

jl

#17 ·
I was going to suggest the Bobblbee (how do you spell it?). I've saw a buttload of them when I was in NYC. They come in really cool colors (even a "dark" hehe) and are hard. I believe they are designed to cary laptops, PDAs and the like. Check e-bay for good prices on them.

G
#18 ·
Really like the Boblbee too - Good suggestion to look on EBay...

When I talked to their rep, it seems that the back padding of the pack can help if you take a spill. On second thought, you might also get hard plastic shards lodged in you neck though... ewwww. :-X

#20 ·
I was looking for a pack as well and stumbled across a review in one of the Brit mags for one made by Kriega. Was highly recommended. Checked out their products online (kriega.com), looked tasty. I especially liked the R35, with it's harnessing and wastebelt, plus a front pouch on your chest for smaller items you may need but don't necessarily want to go digging around in the main compartment, plus good visibility at night. Was a little pricey, but figured, why not. Went ahead and ordered it (through Aerostich.com) along with a separate laptop case they make that fits my PowerBook G4 perfectly. All fit and feel great while riding. Anyway, my 2 cents...

#21 ·
You guys all have me drooling over those Boblbee bags! Bad, bad! ;) I really like the Scorpia collection.

Speaking of bags, this has nothing to do with backpacks, but I'd thought I'd plug the website where I bought my work/laptop bag. I have a 15" Powerbook, so I wanted something specific that I could use for work and hold my Mac snugly. I bought the Cargo bag in the Taxi color at Waterfield Designs, http://www.sfbags.com. This is one of the most durable bags I've ever bought and it has great detail, inside and out! (I have no affiliation with the company, just really love my bag and wanted to pass on another drool-worthy bag.)

#24 ·
I have a Kriega R25 backpack and like it a lot. It seems durable, although I've only had it a week, so I can't really say. It has reflective material on the front and back, there aren't straps hanging down from it, and it has grippy stuff on the inside of the straps that help keep it from sliding around. I've ridden with it with a 3-ring binder and a very heavy biochemistry textbook inside, and I didn't notice the weight at all. It felt very secure. I don't think I would recommend it to a buxom woman though, because I think the harness system would be uncomfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.