Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Which paint scheme does it for you?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm slowly tackling the house project and can focus an ounce of energy into other things. I'm looking at some low cost fun stuff to do with the Ducati.

I have always liked the raw look of the Monster and it really reminds me of a stripped down hot rod. So I'm thinking of running with that theme, wanted to get some opinions.

This is how it sits right now:

Here it is with red hoops:

Whitewalls with a little art deco tank splash:

And the full on hot rod treatment:

So, whaddaya think?

·
Banned
49 Posts
when you think of ducati, you think of red

It looks great as is... but monsters look amazing with black AND red schemes.
I vote for the red rims!
Not a fan of the white... sorry bro.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Taste is subjective, but I don’t like options 1,2, or 3.
I’ve been kicking around a Classic Vincent style scheme for a while.
Gold leaf stripe outlining the upper ‘triangle ‘ of the sideof the tank, ducati lettering in the classic Vincent style, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Although I would never do it, I think Option 3 is pretty cool. But then again I remember growing up seeing my friend's dad's hot rod with flat black paint, white walls and red wheels. As you call it, "the full hot rod treatment". Lol

I don't like option 1 or 2. Go all the way of just leave it as is. Either way, do something with the yellow spring on the rear shock.

I'm not sure whats missing but if you do consider option 3 you need to do something else to complete the look.

How about...

1. Blacking out the fork tubes and handlebars
2. Changing the fabric on the seat to something more retro

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Always liked the looko of a black bike with red wheels, gives it a rat rod type look. Especially with the pipes you have. Nice Ride.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Opinions?? Oh boy!!!
I'd take photo #1, raise the exhaust cans to mid level (to hide the tire/frame gap), and scuff all the shiny parts to a mat finish.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Artful, Good work with photoshop but not too keen on the options you have come up with. The white walls dont work for me. Not to hot on the red rims either.
What about leaving everything black and adding a bit of colour with rim stickers, maybe a few pin strips to match around the plastics. If I was going to change to red rims I would probably do the whole wheel and not leave the spokes black. Keep at it!

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
instead of the whitewall on the tire...try just the outer lip of the wheel white.
maybe with all the rest of the wheel red (no black)

oh, and alpina spokes <grin>

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like what you're trying to do.. not a fan of the whitewalls, but I think you need a little red on the tank...

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh, and alpina spokes <grin>
You're a bad man...

Still trying to figure out what I want to do with this bastard. Clutch started acting up last week so there are higher priorities than painting anything.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Why don't you just get a new one? LOL!!!! Then you could change the skins out anytime you like with a new look....

My opinion on the paint.... I kinda dig the red rims only shot. That looks best IMO.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I personally like the hot-rod style. It's unique, different, and you've got the right set-up as it is right now, a 'dark' Ducati.

Like a previous poster said, go with your gut. If you don't want to ever sell the bike, who cares what everyone else thinks.

As far as I'm concerned, the Monster is supposed to be customized. Leave the 848/1198, etc. stock-ish with Ducati Performance parts. Those are glorious, wind-tunnel-tested racing machined.

The Monster should be custom, it should be yours, and it should be different.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think option 3 is great but I think you need your own old school ducati logo on the tank and on the white walls. Great job, it's nice to see something different.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
It looks great as is... but monsters look amazing with black AND red schemes.
I vote for the red rims!
Not a fan of the white... sorry bro.
uh, no. no i don't

1 - 18 of 18 Posts