Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
am considering a 2000 M900 w/less than 1000miles, but have always felt that these bikes need to be run well and maintained often to be reliable and to give the best overall performance. knowing that i'd change the belts (and maybe the belt tensioner bearings), what should i look at besides: checking for a rusty tank, leaking fork seals, tire condition, maybe plugged injectors? am kinda on the fence as it took the second e-mail from the owner before i found out it had a tank ding. ::) 600mile maint done about 3 years ago, so bike sat unused (the horror!) for awhile. many thanks!
bobp

·
Registered
555 Posts
change the belts, inspect the fuel tank at the rear hinge for fuel leaks (sometimes happens in crashes).
look for rust in the tank,chain condition (are links rusted), wheels stright? battery acid spills?

give the poor bike a chance [thumbsup]
cheers

T

·
0 Posts
I bought mine in a horror condition. Did not even started.

But after a complete cleaning, all fluids flushed,()twice,first whern I put the bike in my garage and after the 300 next miles) new battery, new air filter, new tires, new chain kit, new belts and tension bearing, vlave adjusted....she run like a baby and yesterday at a track day with US Desmo, I had a blast day. I put more than 10,000miles since I bought it, now 21,437Miles and every inches I rode is a pleasure.

Make your budget. Add everything you could think you need to replace and match it with the asking price.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My '00 m900 sat on the dealer floor for over a year. The gasket along the crankshaft between the crankcase and the clutch dried out because the oil didn't reach that level and oil started leaking into the clutch area. It's easy to check for, just pull the clutch cover.

Love the bike!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks very much! have decided to make them an offer of current nada less the tank ding repair estimate from frosties finishes. we'll see what happens, would love to save this beauty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts