Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I run away or jump on it? I am going to look at 2007 Ducati S2R-1000 Monster 1000 today with ~30,000 miles. Bike has been with the original owner since 2007 and can make a deal for ~$2k. No maintenance record since owner has done everything by himself.

Does this seem unreal or could run into some serious problems?

Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
How mechanically minded are you and do you have some good questions to ask someone who has done their own maintenance? You can cover the basics like what has been done and how frequently, but then you would want to drill in to things like what kind of timing adjustments have been made, what were the size of the shims, condition of plugs, etc.

Sounds like a great deal. Do you have anybody you can ask to take a second look with you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tank was replaced 2 years ago, belts have been done once and valves were good last time. Chain needs to be replaced and tires only have 1 year.

That's the response I got from the owner. I have done all maintenance on my cars, Japanese bikes and all. Never touched anything on Duc.

·
Registered
582 Posts
At 30k I'm thinking the valves need some adjustment so expect a decent bill for a valve service or be prepared to put a couple of days effort in to learn and do that yourself, as well as tools. Shocks would also need servicing.

I let the S2R owners advise on things to look for, my comments are general. Good luck with the assessment and look forward to welcoming you to the Ducati owners club ;-)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Seriously...toystuff is right, if it's running and road worthy, I would grab it. Worst case you could part it out and likely double your money. Budget a 1 large to get it serviced properly by a good indy mechanic (likely less) and enjoy! These things are simple machines despite what everyone makes it seem. An S2R-1K for ~$3K that's been through a major service is a deal in my book.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Seriously...toystuff is right, if it's running and road worthy, I would grab it. Worst case you could part it out and likely double your money. Budget a 1 large to get it serviced properly by a good indy mechanic (likely less) and enjoy! These things are simple machines despite what everyone makes it seem. An S2R-1K for ~$3K that's been through a major service is a deal in my book.
I'll get first in line for the forks!

tt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I got a quote from Ducati dealer:

520 For Chain and both Sprockets
350 Tires
300 Belts
400 Valves/Shims

So give or take if I get it for around $1700, can add another ~$1600. Is there a DIY regarding about valves/belts and chain/sprocket?

Usually, if properly maintained, how many miles one can expect to get out of it? Since it's already at 30,000.

Looking forward to advise. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Plenty of how to articles on belts. Can't comment on valve work as I have never done that. Yet. Chain and sprocket easy enough. Quote on tires fair if it includes the tires. If not, way high, do it yourself. Buy front/rear stands.

Can't remember which forum but a member had over 90K on his Ducati. Even at 2K you can't go wrong.

tt

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Phil here has 300,000 miles on his first edition M900.

A $2,000 S2R is an amazing deal if it wasn't dropped on it's side at 50mph. You can't find many Monsters at any insurance auctions for that kind of money completely totaled.

BTW, $520 for a chain service? That is outrageously high. I wonder if they were saying they would install a 520 chain? Chain/sprocket kits start around $150 and go up to $250 or so. You can easily change them yourself. There honestly shouldn't be any real labor charges if you are having the tires done at the same time as the wheel has to come off anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yup, I can buy a AEM quick change rear carrier and sprocket, front sprocket and chain for less than that price. CM is correct on the tire fees. If you buy the tires at the Dealer they should install for free. If not buy them online and have them mounted.

You are going to need stands just for routine maintenance so pick up a set. Money well spent. A few specific tools always needed, plenty of "how to" articles right here.

Post some pictures if you seal the deal.

tt

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
More realistic pricing would be:

$200 for the chain & sprockets and you can DIY with no trouble
Cycle Gear has good tires for $220.00 every month, brands differ but quality stuff
Belts are <$100.00/pr from Chris Kelly, a good Indy shop should do the job for a reasonable amount.
Again an Indy mech would beat the $400 price for the valves I bet.

Keep in mind these are all maint expenses and NOT repairs, they would have to be performed on any Monster you get eventually.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think owner realized his mistake and bumped the price by $1,000 lol

Not sure if I'll be betting on the bike, since I already have two Japanese bikes.

Plus, I think at $3k, the maintenance, not really a crazy deal, as it was yesterday !!!:D

Will keep you guys posted if I seal the deal though.

Thanks again8)

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I think owner realized his mistake and bumped the price by $1,000 lol

Not sure if I'll be betting on the bike, since I already have two Japanese bikes.

Plus, I think at $3k, the maintenance, not really a crazy deal, as it was yesterday !!!:D

Will keep you guys posted if I seal the deal though.

Thanks again8)
Hold him to it or meet half way. Explain what you will need to do and the cost.

I have had that happen to me buying older Honda's. I just walk away but there are a lot more Honda's around.

tt

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
$3K as is, is still a very good price, but not as sweet by any means. If you shopped smart and DIY's all the repairs, you would be into an S2R 1K for about $3600. Not bad for around here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts