Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, im new to the board so if this has been answered forgive me. Ive been riding my dads harley for a while and have finally come to the decision to buy a monster and keep my truck or just buy a new truck. I want to buy a monster and am interested in the 2003 620. I would like any opinions on how this bike performs as compared to the other 600's around. I have a couple friends with jap bikes and i dont want one of those. Id be much happier bein the only guy with a duc. WOuld anyone say they wish they would have stepped up to the 800? or is the 620 adequite in performance to keep you happy. Any input on the bike would be great in helping me decide. thanks
matt

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Senor Matt- size doesnt matter, unless you are talking about the "other" monster. :eek:I have an '02 620 and my riding chums are on s4's 900's and 750's. I can keep up with them in the twisties just fine. On the straightaway, forget it, the S4 would smoke me. It really depends on your riding ability I guess. If you want speed on the straights, go with the bigger bike. For the money, the 620 is more than enough bike.
Joey Joe joe JR. Shabadoo. 8)

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I got a 620. and I LIKE IT!!!!

compared to japanese 600's... well.. the Monster is a different beast...

I've learned something through messing around with cars for years.. you can buy the fastest car out there... or build it.. soon enough someone's going to come out with something faster..

there are other things that matter.. Style, comfort, character, uniqueness, grin-factor, etc., etc....

V

·
0 Posts
from a harley to a duck, another comes back from the dark side............ ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks fellas, yeah i think ive fallen in love, i didnt know much about ducatis ,then 2 weeks ago my brother said man u should get a monster and we'll be good to go, ive been obsessed for 2 weeks looking. They are like no others out there for sure. Ive never liked the jap bikes that all look alike but man they haul ying. anyways im goin up to the dealership tomorrow to check em out. hopefully i wont have to be carried out screaming.

A

·
0 Posts
Don't leave that dealership paying more than $6000 for that '03 620! That's what I got mine for. I love it!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ciao Matticus,

Like the Tonyj said, size does not matter, I have a small the other "monster" so I got Monster 1000 .... :p

620 is a great bike. I recommend to test ride , and then test ride some more.

And,
remember to take your dads HD out once in awhile .... I still got 2 in the garage (YES I DO USE THEM STILL .... )

Welcome to Monster Space, smile is cool.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Don't leave that dealership paying more than $6000 for that '03 620!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im headed to the dealership in about an hour to check em out, ;D ;D im goin with 2 friends who both ride yammies, so i know im gonna be hassled but i think the force is strong so i shouldnt be swayed. Also i was reading that the 2003 monster is pretty much totally redesigned from the 2002 and earlier, are the earlier monsters worth looking at or do they drop off that much as compared to the new ones? thanks for the info and opinions fellas, just tryin to find out the most i can about em b4 i purchase.

T

·
0 Posts
I would definitely take the time and look at the 2002's. I bought a new 2002 M750D 3 wks ago. The dealership tried to sell me a 2003 620 for $6300. However, I wanted a bit more power, so I went with the 2002 750 for $6650 (excluding taxes, title and regis.) I didn't notice much diff in the 2003 vs. 2002.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have an S4, it's fun smokin the smaller bikes. A 620 will get smoked on the straight aways. But.. when it comes to looks, sound, ride, etc... you'll be happier.

Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh yeah, i got back from the dealership and i had a hard time not wanting to take pne home, they have a 1000 for 11'000 grand but thats more than i wanna pay and he said theyve got a warehouse full of em, which is good for me. Anyways thats where im at with that hopefully sooner than later i'll be riding something

M

·
0 Posts
Matticus,

Our shop bike is a 2002 M620 dark and I have ridden all of the models from 1998-current and the 620 has more than most will need for any kind of riding. There are a lot of 2002' sin shops still and you can make a nice deal, as far as being completely redesigned- total nonsense. The frame, engine and controls are the same. If you are a beginner or not, a sinlge disc brake is more than enough power to stop a 390# bike as well. I can promise you will be very happy andif you live in the bay area, I will let you cruise the shop bike around town. A 2002 620 dark should run you about $6000+/- plus fees (negotiable on the prep, don't let them tell you no..)

Kevin

Kevin

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kevin thanks for the info, thats what i was hoping to hear from someone, unfortunately i live in south florida so i cant take you up on your offer, but thanks. Right now im negotiating with my parents on some things, financing and such, as usual they are not worried about me but about all the old drivers we have around town and i agree. I definitly dont want to die or even worse than that end up paralyzed, im young so maybe i dont see it how they do but i think the rewards outweigh the risk so i'll see how things go from here. Again thanks for the info.

matt

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Don't overlook good clean used Monsters from about 95 up. You can save some money to use on mods and accessories and still have a great bike. I've seen a few good looking deals on Ebay lately amongst the fair to partly cloudy deals.

Look for good maintenance records, signs that is was always clean and well maintained, and clean title. Be willing to walk away if anything doesn't add up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Matt, welcome!

Any one of the Monster line is a great choice. If you're comparing power and speed to the 600's, f'get about it, the 600's will smoke most Monsters, hands down. The Monster is a different beast (didn't somebody already say that?), it's not about power and speed, but about comfort, handling, torque anywhere, and last but not least, looks & sound.

You should give the 600's a try first. Feel where the power band is: way up high. They'll perform unbelievably, but you gotta work 'em. Then take a Monster for a spin, notice how little movement is required on the wrist and how little braking is needed as you smoothly let off the gas coming into a turn.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jack thanks for the opinion, im gonna ride my buddies zx6r and check it out then try and find a monster to ride so i'll letcha know.
matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts