1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Not really abnormal for an extremely worn rear aluminum sprocket. That one shouda been changed awhile ago though Bill. Youll probably be needin a chain too.
Guess youll be callin on ChrisK again huh?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I wanted to go up 2 while I was changin but I dont think its worth it if I have to spend $100 on a new chain too the one the bike looks brand new.
Oh, its a Renthal sprocket, has anyone heard of them?

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I'll go with ducman851 on this one. That sprocket should have been replaced miles ago. Especially if your front sprocket is in a simialr condition. It's a false economy and you'll just increase the wear on your chain. I might be throwing money away but I usually replace the chain and sprockets together. A snapped chain (or one that derails and locks the wheel up ) is no better for your health than a snapped cam belt. And both will break your heart.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The chain would have to be stretched to do that to a sprocket. And a steel sprocket should never end up like that.

What kind of wheel is that? It doesn't look like any Brembo or Marchesini wheel I've seen. It reminds me of something off of a Honda in the 80's.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and Chris, I guess this explains why my bike seemed to studder from a stop, slipping chain. I already apologized to my FCRs for blamin them.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
that sprocket has gums, not teeth! Renthall is a big brand name in sprockets, particularly on dirt bikes. as far as quality, i have no idea. is that one aluminum or steel?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe its aluminum

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Renthal is a big big player in the off-road market. They make sprockets, handle bars, grips, you name it. Good, hi qaulity stuff. At least, I've never had any problems with their products over the last 15+ years using them. :)

B

·
0 Posts
you could just turn it around. have to be a few more miles in it. ;D

that's pretty funny. i always want to ask people how they let their bikes get to this stage without knowing it's not right, but that usually offends them. i'm just genuinely curious.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep thats them, I will have to see what sprockets will fit.

As to the question of how I let it get this far, I just bought the bike 4 months ago and I have been replacing worn parts non stop since then. I just noticed the sprocket.

B

·
0 Posts
bummer

don't you have a roadworthy certificate or something like that that is a legal requirement when changing ownership?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I bought the bike knowing it was a project. I just keep making new "discoveries" all the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts