Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just done a 4 day trip to Chiangmai bike week on the S4 , about 2100Km round trip, about 150km from home the clutch stops working, the outer cover is red hot all the paint has melted, opened it up and dismantled clutch at roadside , problem was clutch centre nut came loose . bodged it tight at roadside , left the cover off and made it home cluth works OK , had to stop once more to retighten as did not have access to big sockets,it was late night.

Home now and will re torque the big clutch centre nut ,
Will have to buy some bling cluth parts , now doh!

should I put loctite on the centre nut when I tighten it ?

I am now a convert to the open clutch it does sound nicer with the cover off , like the jingle bells sound.

The bike ran awsomely 1000km in 10 hours to get home including bad roads , dodging elephants , drunken Thais etc.

The bike show was superb. great Parties great food , good hotels 4star but only $40 per night . About 2000 bikes 35% Harleys 20% BMW 40% Japs 10 Ducatis 4 Triumphs,1 Motoguzzi and a few others
1 guy rode a 999 from Singapore round trip 4000km.

Regards Jerry

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
My service manual says to put grease on the backside of the nut then torque it down to 120nm. I also recall reading something about Ducati has increased the torque spec to 136nm. I'm sure someone here will chime in on whether that new spec is correct or not.

·
Banned
897 Posts
For 2 valve 900 motors LT Snyder calls for 94 ft lbs (128 Nm). I had mine back off at that spec. The '91-'96 V-twin Haynes manual calls for 100-108 ft lbs (137-147 Nm), which seems to work. S4 may be different.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
ducman851 said:
Thats what an Impact gun is for ;)
I sure hope that "wink and a smile" emoticon means you're kidding.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Mac900 said:
I sure hope that "wink and a smile" emoticon means you're kidding.
Nope, I use an Impact for taking it off and putting the hub back on. Have been for more than 10 years of Ducati ownership and working on them. I also know of, but wouldnt expect them to admit it, a few "Authorized Ducati Technicians" who also use that method.
If you dont get Hamfisted with them they are just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
ducman851 said:
Nope, I use an Impact for taking it off and putting the hub back on. Have been for more than 10 years of Ducati ownership and working on them. I also know of, but wouldnt expect them to admit it, a few "Authorized Ducati Technicians" who also use that method.
If you dont get Hamfisted with them they are just fine.
OK, that works for you.

I've been a professional wrench / manager for over 30 years. When I work on my machines and my customers machines I do my work properly. I've seen lots of guys do otherwise. I'm certainly not shy of using air impact tools and I have a whole drawer full of them. There have been times when I didn't have a torque wrench and other times when I didn't have a torque value to set and those times I used an air gun. I didn't like it but I had to do what I had to do because of the circumstances where I was doing the work. Some applications are more proper than others. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be snotty; I'm just saying......

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Mac900 said:
OK, that works for you.

I've been a professional wrench / manager for over 30 years. When I work on my machines and my customers machines I do my work properly. I've seen lots of guys do otherwise. I'm certainly not shy of using air impact tools and I have a whole drawer full of them. There have been times when I didn't have a torque wrench and other times when I didn't have a torque value to set and those times I used an air gun. I didn't like it but I had to do what I had to do because of the circumstances where I was doing the work. Some applications are more proper than others. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be snotty; I'm just saying......
Then you and I are in the same boat. I am an ASE Certified Master and L1 Technician as well as a licensed Ca Smog Technician (well up until Sept 27, I did a career change, long story) . I also have an awesome set of tools and have been doing this since I was about 15 (so nearly 30 years) Im just saying as well ;)

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
[thumbsup] It's all good then. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I've begun marking my hub nut with a paint pen so I can do a quick visual inspection by pulling the pressure plate. If it's moved, it will show. Same thing with cam pulleys when I reinstall them. Just a little dab from the end of the shaft across one side of the nut.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello guys I tightened up the clutch nut today with a torque wrench by locking the bike in gear and standing on the brake + a dab of blue permatex on the nut.

Ducati now reccommend 136ft lbs (186nm) on the clutch nut , this has been revised uo over the years as the nuts come loose often . Check yours if the bike is older than 2004.

cheers Jerry

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm an air gun guy for clutch jobs.
Discreetly.
Go to the pits at a major race and watch the factory sponsered teams use air guns for everything.
When it comes to big bolts a static torque spec doesn't assure that the thing will stay together.
This has to do with the stick-slip kind of friction that happens when metal on metal.
The right way to tighten any big fastener is by stretch.
I use a stretch mike for rod bolts.
When it comes to the real big stuff the only thing to do is use a hydraulic bolt tensioner.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm with ducman851 on the air gun technique. I've been a state certified and ASE tech for close to 20 years and sometimes you learn from experience that the only thing that works is pneumatic coaxing [laugh].

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.