Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newb, and I am clueless ... which explains why I am here, I suppose. Just trying to learn as much as I can about your gorgeous machines.

I am interested in hearing about the longest road trip you have ever taken on your M's ... how many miles (or km's) was it? Any problems? What do you wish your M had on it for that trip that would have made it better? And anything else you feel like sharing ....

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I rode my monster about 600 miles from Boise to nw washington state. I had almost no complaints about the bike at all except for the wind noise. I probably should have had earplugs or something... It made me wish I had an enourmous windscreen (But I dont actually want one because all the windshields on the market for monsters are so small that they wouldn't have helped anyway. Plus I think they look dumb).

I think I am just about the only person on this board who doesn't mind the stock seat. I could imagine that being a problem for some of the more youthfully-challenged members ;D.

When I arrived at my destination I had sore shoulders, but that is to be expected on any sport bike. Maybe higher handlebars would have helped that, but then the wind problem would be even worse...

IF there was some theoretical way to stop all the wind from hitting my helmet, and give me a more upright riding position, I think I would have no problem taking my bike across the country! As things are now, I think 600 miles is just about my limit.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
800 km.I would give my kingdom for a windscreen! ??? (I bought one after the trip but when i travel with a tankbag it doesn't make much difference).If you travel a lot ,don't buy a monster.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1000kms over 2 days - 10 hours riding across the aussie country side.

A sore butt is all i really got, upper body was fine, ears were ok....the smell of squashed bugs on my helmet and jacket were a bugger!!

I might try the 1000+ kms to Phillip Island later in the year for Motogp....that would be interesting straight

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey Mostro-Nero,
I got my monster here with me in Port Moresby. This is how i got her here - I flew down to Melbourne & did the deal. The next day rode from Melbourne, down to Torquay, along "The Great Ocean Raod" then on to the 12 appostles, then inland back to Melbourne, some 400k plus. Had a days rest, then I headed off for Brisbane (2,500k's), I did Melbourne to Coffs Harbour in one stint,
22 hrs straight, then the next morning Coffs to Brisbane.

I've got a Corbin seat, & at that time had the std bars & I tell you, My A$$ hurt, My back hurt, My Arms Hurt, boy I was glad to get outa the saddle. I probably shouldn't have pushed on so far the first day. If i ever did it again, i'd say 8-12hrs riding is enough, then get a room & do another 8-12 the next day.

As far a Corbin seats & 20+ hours in the saddle goes, I reckon they dont!

Had a luggage rack then to, so the gear wasn't a problem.
Definately a wind sheild & a "Thick" Lambswool seat cover would be high on the priority list.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Niugini

U R A FREAK!!! 22 hours straight....thats got to be a record! I remember a mate telling me the story of when he went to buy I believe a 900 Pantah in melbourne and rode it straight back to Sydney.....he was a hunchback for a good month apparently!!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I've done a couple 800+ mile 3 day weekends. No problems at all.

I wear leather pants on any longer rides and the extra padding ( including the pants ;) )keeps my posterior fairly comfortable.

My S4 has the little windscreen which seems to help a little. With the stock bars, my arms seem to be up and out too much for my taste and catch too much wind. I keep saying I am going to add clip-ons.

I use some small Tour Master soft saddle bags and a BIG tankbag.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I've done 450 miles in a day, Tucson, AZ to Los Angeles, CA, after about 275 miles during the previous 2 days in Tucson. I regularly do 200-300 mile day rides. I've done 3 overnight camping trips.

Stock seat, stock fairing, tall CycleCat bars. TourMaster Cortech luggage; tank bag, saddlebags and tailbag.

Cruises down the highway at 85 really nice. A little more comfortable seat and more fuel capacity would be nice for the sport touring. Considering the sporting capability, the touring prowess of the Monster is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Latest mileage update via Rachel at http://www.TigerRacing.Net -- 70,700 miles on her M750 (basic maintenance only do date), 11,000 on one 2001 M750 and 15,000+ miles on a 2003 M800 for the IBR event last year (the latter two were provided by Ducati for her use for the rides she did).

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm planning a 3200 mile round trip from SF, down Baja to Cabo San Lucas, and then back. Should be a lot of fun. We're planning on getting the bikes serviced in So Cal before hitting the Mexican border. Oil change, new brakes, new tires, general check. For the trip we're planning on bringing extra oil, brake pads, and tires. Normally I wouldn't bring so much gear, but once we're in Mexico and on the road we won't have a Duc, or Triumph mechanic for my friend, for a LONG distance.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Nope Mexican Interstate 1 that goes the length of Baja has been completely repaved over the last 5 years or so.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I've done a 5000km round trip. It was done over a few days and involved Tasmania so it was a good ride with plenty of curves. I had a small Ducati Performance screen but I've since taken it off because I think it makes f...all difference and the bike looks better without it.

Unless you're 7ft tall the Monster is as good as any bike to tour on - up to the 160kph mark that is.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Niugini

U R A FREAK!!! 22 hours straight....thats got to be a record! I remember a mate telling me the story of when he went to buy I believe a 900 Pantah in melbourne and rode it straight back to Sydney.....he was a hunchback for a good month apparently!!
Yea............I coulda parked the duc beside the bed & just fell into it.........didn't need any rocking.

i wouldn't attempt it now, cause it's got clip ons, lowered front end & with the FCR's & rejetting the fuel economy is $hit.

Not a concern now in Port Moresby anyway as the longest stretch of bitumen is only 80k.

But then again, if i have to fly to Melb to pick up my 999R (only on the wish list of course)..........that might be another story ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Bing,
Was that on the recent Ducati Tourismo deal last month ?
...Simon

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
10,300km over 12 days (Toronto-Santa FE-Calgary-Toronto). I rode 16 hours straight the final day and did'nt even get off the bike for 2 of the fuel stops. From temps of 10c to highs over 100F and alltitudes up over 3000 feet, the bike barely complained. Probably not the best touring bike, but definately up to the job if you are.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts