Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

i'm planning on upgrading my front sprocket. when using loctite, how much should i apply to the threads when fitting the new sprocket? i imagine it wouldn't be that much, just looking for some confimation. THX!

·
Registered
461 Posts
A little dab 'll do ya.

-Don

·
Registered
588 Posts
Don't use the High Strength Stud Locker on such a small bolt with fine thread, or it may become a permanent fixture.

Medium to Low strength will be plenty.

Like Don said just a dab. any excess that oozes out won't cure & is just a waste.

Make sure you drop the loctite onto the bolt, don't use the tip of the bottle to run it around the bolt or you'll find the tip will become blocked next time you go to use it.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Having just installed a front sprocket on Saturday, I went through that very issue. I used medium strength blue Locktite on the screws. About one drop covers the threads of those little screws.

I wasn't sure if I could swap sprockets without loosening the rear wheel, but after removing two bolts for the sprocket cover and the two holding the plate in place on the sprocket, the chain and sprocket just slid right off of the shaft. I slapped the new one in there and slid it back in place, with the help of a plastic screwdriver handle to pound it on, and had it tightened back up in a couple of minutes. It took more time to adjust the slack out of the chain than to get the new sprocket in place.

I had forgotten what a difference gearing makes. It's been about six years since I regeared the Monster, and I remember that it made a big difference both pulling away from a stop and in 6th gear crusing. Much more than the 7% difference ought to make. Well on the ST2, it makes even more of a difference. I'm amazed at what a transformation a 14-tooth front sprocket has made to the bike.

Anyone with stock gearing should invest 30 bucks and just try out a 14-tooth front sprocket. It's amazing how much it helps.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Scott, that installation seemed pretty straight foreward. Do you think its pretty much the same thing with the Monster? I have seen other instructions that seemed like more work, but I'm a fan of less work if you know what I mean ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Taf...
I did the same as Scott a while back. Very simple exercise. Just remember to check the locking plate for wear and replace (or turn around) if worn too much !
...Simon

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Hey Scott, that installation seemed pretty straight foreward. Do you think its pretty much the same thing with the Monster? I have seen other instructions that seemed like more work, but I'm a fan of less work if you know what I mean ;)
When I tackle a project like changing a sprocket, I do the obvious things, and if more has to be done to get the job done, I do those too. You don't really need a maintenance manual or a complete step by step explanation to do something as simple as swapping a front sprocket. There are only two important things to keep in mind, use loctite on the sprocket screws and make sure you adjust the swingarm evenly on both sides. The rest should be straightforward to anybody capable of solving even the simplest problems.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of what either Red or Blue Loctite (in the bottles) look like? I'm dumb...and couldnt' find it at my local hardware store even though they said they had it!! Thanks ??? :p :-[

1 - 11 of 11 Posts