Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 230 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured we should have a semi-permanent local shop/mechanic thread. I'm going to stick this so that people can come and reference it.

For those reading it the first time, keep in mind that dealer preference is just like bike preference. Take the collection of everybodies opinion and generate your own.

MOD NOTE: I will delete thread jacks out of this particular thread. This is to be a reference.

PERTINENT INFO FOR ALL LOCAL SHOPS (if you need a shop added, PM me the info)

list compiled by rodeoclown, thank you.

BATTLEY CYCLES

7830 Air Park Road
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States 20879
Tel.: 301-948-4581
Fax: 301-948-7510
www.battley.com
Closed Sun
Mon - Fri 9-7
Sat 9-5

COLEMAN POWERSPORTS FALLS CHURCH
435 South Washington Street
Falls Church, Virginia, United States 22046
Tel.: 703-237-3400
Fax: 703-534-0646
www.wherethepoweris.com
Closed Sun
Mon - Fri 10-7
Sat 10-5

COLEMAN POWERSPORTS WOODBRIDGE

14105 Telegraph Road
Woodbridge, Virginia, United States 22192
Tel.: 703-497-1500
Fax: 703-497-1512
www.wherethepoweris.com
Closed Sun
Mon - Fri 10-7
Sat 10-5

DUC POND MOTOSPORTS
663 North Loudoun Street
Winchester, Virginia, United States 22601
Tel.: 540-667-3498
www.ducpond.com
[email protected]
Monday by appointment only
Tuesday - Thursday 9-6
Friday 9-7
Saturday 9-4

REDLINE PERFORMANCE MOTORSPORTS, INC.
7331 George Washington Memorial Hwy
Yorktown, Virginia, United States 23692
Tel.: 757-989-5000
Fax: 757-989-3591
www.redlinemotors.com
Closed Sun
Mon - Fri 9-6
Sat 9-4

SPEED'S CYCLE
5820 Washington Boulevard
Elkridge, Maryland, United States 21075
Tel.: 410-379-0106
Fax: 410-379-6748
www.speedscycle.com
Closed Sun & Mon
Tue, Thu & Fri 10 - 6
Wed 10 - 7
Sat 10 - 4

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Local shops

Here are my PERSONAL opinions of the region shops.

Ok, I've been touting Winchester Motorsports for over 5 years. Heres an update:
DON'T GO TO WINCHESTER MOTORSPORTS!!!

Moto Europa in Richmond is very good also. They are alot like the "model" ducati shope that DNA wants out there.

Some people like Battley. I have no experiance

A lot of people get annoyed with Speeds. Again no personal experiance.

Coleman has made many many mistakes with its clientel and current Matt (FC) and Brett (WB) are working very hard to turn things around and lately I have been giving them a chance and been pleased.

As for warranty service, ANY Ducati authorized service center can do warranty work. But you are probably going to have a smoother expereiance taking the bike to whatever shop you bought it at.

But in regards to service if you don't mind travelling for that, Winchester (area) is where you want to go.

First there is Duc Pond which is Donnie Unger. I have worked with him in his shop a few days and he is a Master Ducati Mechanic. I do my own work and wish I knew half what he knew. I hope to be able to work with him more and learn more.

Good Luck [thumbsup]

·
Registered
915 Posts

Here are the facts with respect to my experiences:

Winchester Motosports:
So far I've had all my service/recalls done by them. Seem very customer-oriented. Service has always been done in a timely, professional manner. Prices are excellent, the cheapest I've heard of. I have had a trouble getting OEM parts through them though. Never bought anything retail from them (almost bought my first bike there but couldn't make it up there they day I actually popped the cherry)

Moto Europa:
Bought my S2R from them last year. Good experience. Everything was done over the phone. Very professional. They did forget to do a VA state safety inspection on the new bike so that was a minor inconveinance. Other than that very good to deal with.

Colemans:
WB: Bought my first bike from them. Sales experience wasn't bad, but had major issues with getting all my "gear". It was like they sold me the bike then didn't care anymore.
FC: Tried to get my S2R there. Had a lot of trouble figuring out if the actually had the bike and who I was supposed to be dealing with. Ultimately gave up on them and went to Moto Europa. Will never attemp to buy anything from Colemans again.

·
Banned
773 Posts

+1 on motoeuropa. also down here in richmond, Deanna Hylton. best mechanic to lay a wrench on my bike. superbikegirl.com for email addy. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
714 Posts

MotoEuropa is where its at, period. Duc pond is great, and ive heard good things in Winchester. I've lost faith with Colemans, i know Matt is doing well but as Liam said, he isnt the problem, and i dont think its fixable.

·
Registered
928 Posts

Cannot say enough about Winchester Motosports, they service both my Ducatis as well as my Victory's and I have purchased 5 bikes from them in last 3 years - all very good experience. Bottom line is they care and they want your business. On top of that it is a real motorcycle shop and they know their prodcuts. Getting DP accesories has been problematic, now I just got to whoever has what I want and I begin with Section8Superbike.

Ditto on Duc Ponds, Donnie gets my Ducatis for special stuff, like suspension mods.

Coleman's is trying and on an individual basis there are some good guys there, but they are a department store/volume dealer and I just don't think the math works out for them to care about post-sales service. Best place for accessories in the area.

I used to go to Battley's when I had a BMW and always had a good experience, but I have no first hand knowledge regardong Ducati.

·
Registered
714 Posts

Are there any shops anyones knows of that dont charge 1.76 Billion dollars to mount and balance a tire. Thats with just bring them a rim and a tire, im looking for a set for less than 70 dollars which seems the going rate around DC. ANyone? ???

·
Registered
325 Posts

And Again....for Any types of job :Alex Swetlow garage,(alex takes care of a personal collection of ducati's ) he knows all of them !
it s in Rockville @ 2 min from beltway..tel .301-529-9995...
the price is right and the job is done great...
i know few of this board went there...please speak!

·
Registered
294 Posts

Had my S4 warrenty work and the first service done at Speeds. The service seemed to be pretty decent, price for the service seemed to be on par with most shops. Turn around on the warranty work was pretty good think it took about a week for the base gasket on the top head. Yeah sometimes Speed can be a bit on the rude or ornery side, other times I been in there he seemed to be pretty good.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts

very helpful over at redline, even pickup deliver for free. i live in richmomd, and travelled to norfolk to do my business with them. they even sell you your gear at price when you purchase a bike with them. they seem to work with you much more on a personal level, they deal with people on a name to name basis, and even remember you. there 600, and 6000 mile service interval was even cheaper. hats of to em. when i went to motoeuropa i got a pretencious vibe and after doing more price research and finding out they charge for delivery(where as redline does not) and dont charge a hour labor to deliver a bike 10 minutes down 64w, my business will stay with redline

·
Registered
205 Posts

doa8 said:
very helpful over at redline, even pickup deliver for free. i live in richmomd, and travelled to norfolk to do my business with them. they even sell you your gear at price when you purchase a bike with them. they seem to work with you much more on a personal level, they deal with people on a name to name basis, and even remember you. there 600, and 6000 mile service interval was even cheaper. hats of to em. when i went to motoeuropa i got a pretencious vibe and after doing more price research and finding out they charge for delivery(where as redline does not) and dont charge a hour labor to deliver a bike 10 minutes down 64w, my business will stay with redline
does redline have a website? all i found through google is an address

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
DucPond

Took my bike to Ducpond this morning. The price they quoted me was very competitive for the 6000 mile service as well as new rotors if I need them (which I probably do). I'll let you know how everything goes in three or four weeks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Re: DucPond

Greerzilla said:
Took my bike to Ducpond this morning.  The price they quoted me was very competitive for the 6000 mile service as well as new rotors if I need them (which I probably do).  I'll let you know how everything goes in three or four weeks.
what was this said price?

·
Registered
72 Posts

Seems like I've had to defend Coleman on every board I've been to, so here goes.

I've had nothing but good experiences there. Now, I haven't gone anywhere else, and I'm not discounting any of the things people say. They just haven't happened to me.

I've bought 3 bikes there - 2003 Yamaha Zuma, 2004 Suzuki SV650, and 2005 Yamaha R6 - and I've never paid a lot for them. I ended up getting my SV for about $5K OTD, and the R6 for $8400 OTD - mind you, this was the coveted Raven R6, purchased at the end of April.

I didn't buy my Duc there, but that didn't stop Matt Ross from making sure it was easy for me to transfer the bike's service plan (which had been purchased from Coleman) into my name. That move didn't make the shop any money, but he still did it.

Getting to know the right people is essential at any dealer. I've never gone anywhere besides Coleman's and they treat me right, since they know I'm not looking to waste their time and then just buy **** on the 'net. I know they've gotten a bad rep in the past but I can't be the only person that they value. I just don't get why they aren't speaking up as loudly as the pissed-off people. I will reserve the right to change my opnion of Coleman's once the Duc gets serviced for the first time, but since I'm not paying anything for the service I don't think I'll have much to complain about. [thumbsup]

BTW if anyone is looking to buy a bike, and you haven't written off Coleman's altogether, go in and ask for a guy named George Paine. He sold me my R6 when I was just in there looking at tank bags, but for some reason I never felt guilty about it. Best salesman I've ever encountered. He also rides an M800 Dark so he knows these bikes.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Re: DucPond

pilot1129 said:
what was this said price?
Quoted me 4-500 for the service including the shims and front rotors would be $350 for the part with minimal labor charge since the bike was already apart.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Just picked up my 620 from Battley. I had it in for the 600 mile check. Total cost $230.00. Dropped it off Friday and it was ready Saturday. I asked them to check a couple of things which they did and didn't charge extra for. One was a clutch question, the other was the clutch engage switch. When it was done, Conway called and went through with me on the phone all that they did and checked and what they found etc.. It was nice rather than "we're done, come get your bike".
I give them 2 thumbs up and a smokey tire burnout.
Mike

·
Premium Member
460 Posts

doa8 said:
How much does redline charge for the 600 mile service?

·
Premium Member
213 Posts

I used to work at a bike shop up in Ft. Washington, MD. At the time they sold Aprilia, Triupmh, as well as all the Japanese makes, and the other side of the shop was all HD and Buell stuff. I remember going to Coleman's a few times back then and not feeling welcome at all.

After reading a bunch of threads- good and bad, I decided to go to Coleman's to see if things were different. I have to admit, from the moment I walked in it seemd like a different place. They are obviously making a Ducati presense known on the showroom floor.

I came back a week later and had no intention of buying the S2R, but they matched an offer I had gotten over the phone from another dealership (I could've lied about it but I actually did get a quote). 1 hour later I was signing on the dotted line and I hadn't even heard the bike start up yet!

My whole experience thus far has been outstanding. From sales to finance to delivery, I couldn't have asked for more. They made the whole buying process so easy. I really hope their Service Dept. can live up to what they promise to, for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, I have no reason to think otherwise.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.