Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a local picturesque route thru either the Maryland or VA countryside?

I followed the regular MAD gaithersburg route over the weekend and was sorely disappointed.

Im looking for tree-lined rural routes that run thru countrysides and quaint main streets. And Im hoping to not have to ride more than 40 min to access the nice roads. Coastal (as in Western Shore) is also cool.

Any help from people with first hand experience is appreciated.

Now get back to work!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gene and Bill know the Front Royal area pretty good. We did this ride during the summer. I thought it was very scenic with some decent twists (that downhill right-hand hairpin is a little scary) and you avoid the skyline drive crowd.

"Would love to join you but am riding up to MI for a Flat Track race. But, I would suggest the following alternative routes from Gainsville take 55 west, when you get into Marshall at the west end of town do not get on 66 but go straight until the road comes to a stop sign. There is a little church there, take a left and immediate right onto US17 north, about 1 mile you will pick up 55 again(left turn). As your are heading west on 55 take 688 South(left turn), then pick up 647 which will put you on US522, take 522 south to 211. Or another Alternate route stay on 55 past Front Royal and pick up 678(sign says Elizabeth furnace) to 675 to 211. Just a thought - Gene"

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
BTW...on the MAD Route...did you do just the 1st leg up to Jefferson?...or did you do the second part of the route that takes you to Thurmont and back through and around the Catoctin Mountain region?....

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zooom said:
BTW...on the MAD Route...did you do just the 1st leg up to Jefferson?...or did you do the second part of the route that takes you to Thurmont and back through and around the Catoctin Mountain region?....

Brian, youre too quick. youre absolutely right -- I only did the FIRST portion. Thats all that time permitted. Was that the problem? The first leg sucks?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ducati culture said:
When are you doing this run.. I would not mind joining if my schedule permits and this Sat/sun it does not permit. ddyson
Would happen this weekend sometime. With my heated gear and thermals, I plan to ride thru the winter, so I will continue to post as the rides occur. My goal is to know all surrounding areas better than TomTom and Garmin COMBINED. Hell, I recon to become the first human GPS this area has seen.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
lawduc said:
Brian, youre too quick. youre absolutely right -- I only did the FIRST portion. Thats all that time permitted. Was that the problem? The first leg sucks?
the 1st leg is nowhere near being picturesque in comparison....the 2nd leg is a much different animal....most of the MAD-sters peel through the 1st leg like it is a warmup and get a good run going....

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uhyre said:
I might be down for a ride this weekend...what day are you thinking about? I gots me plenty o' thermals and gear to ride in the cold.
Sunday, 8am, a buddy of mine who just bought a m750 is going to meet me in Silver Springs. We plan to return around 1pm, with stops for breakfast and lunch.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
lawduc said:
Sunday, 8am, a buddy of mine who just bought a m750 is going to meet me in Silver Springs. We plan to return around 1pm, with stops for breakfast and lunch.
Dang I am missing another good one. Be safe out there and let those tires warm up. [thumbsup] I am hoping to ride next weekend.

·
Registered
928 Posts
lawduc said:
My goal is to know all surrounding areas better than TomTom and Garmin COMBINED. Hell, I recon to become the first human GPS this area has seen.
Finally some competition, when you've found all the good roads in Montgomery and Frederick county let me know and we will compare notes. You will also then be ready to tackle Clarke, Faquier and points beyond. BTW what is a GPS? - Gene

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2vtwin said:
Finally some competition, when you've found all the good roads in Montgomery and Frederick county let me know and we will compare notes. You will also then be ready to tackle Clarke, Faquier and points beyond. BTW what is a GPS? - Gene
GPS = Global Positioning System a/k/a me in a couple of months (i hope)

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's a great little loop I do......17 south/east from 95 to 3 west into Dahlgren, through the Caledon Nature Area, back towards one..stop in fredVegas for lunch head up route 1 go through Quantico..exit 150 north to 234....yada yad get back to 17 and end up right where you started. It was awesome last monday.. I will show anyone the way...but I am a relativley new rider and like to ride within my limits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts