Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
say that 5 times fast! :-X

Know of any? The theory is if I take a part off my monster and bring it to the shop (or give them my custom specs) and ask them to make this part exact in carbon fiber that they'll be able to do it significantly less than buying the same product from after market parts companies. If you don't know of any that do carbon fiber do you know of any that will with other material, i.e. plastic, aluminum...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You can do your own out of fiberglass fairly easy and cheap. It's fun to work with and you can change the shape however you want. Carbonfiber is similar to work with but requires a little bit more knowledge. There are some extra steps with curing it properly.
Metalwork is also fun but requires alot of knowledge and tools. What are you looking to make? Are you wanting to just duplicate some stock pieces out of a different material for looks?
I'm just wondering so that I may help steer you in the right direction. I'm a fabricator and I love to take on bike projects, but I've got too many projects going for a while.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well basically anything that's plastic I'd like to replace with something stonger. I guess first on my list are the heat shields right behind your heels. I keep catching my heels on them and that makes 'em snap a bit. I'm just thinking soon they'll actually crack. I'd be interested in heat shields that do the job but don't get in the way of your heel when lifting your foot to the pegs. I don't like the look of the silver aluminum shields though.

The side panels I might want to change too. I'm looking for a right side panel that matches the left one now that I removed the emissions box. So if I can find just the right one I wouldn't be looking to replace both.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you are catching the heat guards then you shouldn't go with C.F. or fiberglass. You will slowly chip away at the edges and they will, end up looking very bad. Aluminum will hold up better. Maybe fabricate bigger guards that you won't get caught on the edges? You could make them from aluminum then anodize whatever color you want. That would hold up the best. Or, I have seen people use tape that looks just like carbonfiber to cover things like that. On small surfaces like that, if done right, you wouldn't be able to tell that it's not really carbonfiber...just something to think about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.