Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good? bad? relaxing? dangerous?

Give me your thoughts.

Personally, I could definitely see music affecting ones driving. I'll admit I listen to music occasionally (ever since I got a GPS unit that supports mp3s) but it's usually very chill non-aggressive music and I listen to it at a low level so I can still hear my engine and those around me.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The only music that comes thru my earplugs is the one made by the Termi exhaust on my motorcycle...

No need for anything else during my rides...

·
Registered
57 Posts
On longer highway rides, I'll ride with music in one ear. I've tried riding with music in both ears and I end up feeling too disconnected from everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I listen to music with a good set of noise isolating ear buds if I know I'll be hitting the highway. There is a thing called the "silent killer" and I'd rather not take a chance if it's true or not. It's theory is that prolonged exposure to the constant wind noise and turbulence beating against your helmet will eventually kill your hearing. I know for a fact that I have felt like I'm hard of hearing after a 1 hour ride on the highway. I can only imagine that being exposed to this numerous times throughout your riding career will have permanent consequences.

In the city, I will sometimes ride with them in. I feel that I concentrate better, but everyone is different and every city is different. The one I live in is not exactly busy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a set of moulded earplugs made specifically for my ears.These have a tube connected to them which is connected to my MP3 player... I love it! Sometimes it's good to have them off, but the sound of the music seems to "cancel" out the sound of the wind, and, yes, unfortunately the sound of the Termis a bit as well. Mostly I don't use them on the Ducati but use them on my Triumph which I use for touring. I've ridden for 1000's of kilometers with music in my ears without any problems. However, on my last ride, when Pink Floyd's Lear Jet unexpectantly flew through my head in "Money"... that was a bit funky!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Music on the moto

I do it, it's great fun and the silicon buds I use block out all the wind buffeting- a nice bonus. I find that riding is almost entirely a visual exercise. So long as I can still hear the motor and tranny, I feel "connected" enough. Your tactile senses are giving you clues as well, so it's not that bad. I don't find I can hear cars approaching from behind anyway, so what's the difference? I may reconsider if the situation warrants, i.e. total darkness, wet road conditions, dense traffic (esp in an unfamiliar area). If my traction is compromised, I want to know it ASAP; sometimes I can hear the tire/road interactions which give off warning sounds. Proceed with caution, I say.

P.S. I wouldn't recommend it until your riding skills, confidence and familiarity with the bike have been well established.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
My favorite music is by the Arrows? Have you heard of them? Some say they like Termis better.

Funny thing is I will occasionally think having some music on while riding would be nice...
But while riding I NEVER thank about that mps player that is buried in some drawer somewhere..

Hope that answers your question....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts