Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to find a track in my area, is there a web site that has a list of tracks? Or how else could I find out with out too much effort - I'm lazy, and on vacation.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Not sure about all tracks in your area, but check out www.sportbiketracktime.com

Their schedule is due out around 1 January. They probably run several events in your part of the country. I did one of their track days in November, and I'm joining and going to several other STT events at different tracks. The thing I liked about their way of managing track day events is that you will get to ride as fast as you want in a small group of similarly skilled riders. And reckless riders that may take you and your bike out are a non-issue. They do a great job of keeping the day fast fun and safe.

The on-track instructors (ride in the Novice group until they kick you out) actually shepherd faster groups around slower groups to keep everything safer. Novice groups also get free coaching and as much track time as everyone else. And some of our Novice groups were lapping as fast or faster than some of the Intermediate groups.

I'm not afiliated with STT and have no interest in promoting them other than I'm sold on their type of track day. And they should have venues around you on the schedule.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Switch,
I live across the river from louisville in s. Indiana. The closest track, and possibly the best is Putnam park. It's the fastest in the region and smooth both in layout and surface. Putnam is about 45 minutes west of Indy. It takes maybe 2 1/2 hrs to get there from louisville. After that, Grattan, in Belding Michigan is the the next best. It takes about 7 hrs to get there but is well worth the drive. Grattan is a really technical track with elevation changes ( going into turns blind-use your memory), off camber turns, bus stop with an elevation change, esses, a bowl, etc. Another track in Michigan is Gingerman, which is kind of a stop and go type track. Not one of my favorites but some folks really like it. It's about the same distance as Grattan. There is a new track opening near Chicago this summer, kinda short though. Also around Chicago is Blackhawk. Used to be kind of dangerous but apparently they repaved it and did afew other things (moved the trees?). Some like it but I've never been there. Down south you've got little Talledega, kinda short but fun for one time. About 7 hrs drive. On the other side of Birmingham Alabama is Barber. Haven't been there yet but it's supposed to be biketopia. It's about the same distance as tally. Southeast is Carolina motorsprts park. Great track. Fast and flowing section then a tighter technical section that still flows if you can carry cornerspeed. I got off the bike there @ triple digits but was saved by the sand traps. West of us is one in west virginia, can't remember the name but lots of walls in the turns (walls are bad on a motorcycle). VIR is west of that in Virginia, never been but I heard it's great. Don't go to nashville or St. louis. They are nascar tracks with an infield. Both are boring and dangerous. To go to any of these tracks you'll need to get rearsets and get your cans up. For a monster the 2-into-1 setup is the best on getting the exhaust up. Also get really good leathers and safety equipment. Don't skimp. Riding on a track is fun, but it is also dangerous. Last year (02) - 10 trackdays, four crashes, no injuries. This year (03)- 12 trackdays, 2 crashes (I'm getting better), broken collarbone in July, shattered scaplia in November ( I'm getting faster). That said I'll go a lot in 04. For you Putnam is going to be your best bet. This year between Desmo, STT, Nesba and one or two more clubs you can go at least once a month if not more starting in March. When you decide to go let me know. By the way, my track bike is a 600 g*xxer, streetbike is a 750 Monster.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kommodo:

I live in New Salisbury IN, but nobody has a clue where that is so I say I live near Louisville so they have a general idea. I'm about 20 min. North West, near Corydon. Where do you live?

I used to live in Greencastle IN - in Putnam Co. - I've heard of the track, but never been there - somebody told me a long time ago it was just for cars - I didn't think that bikes were allowed - so that's great they are.

I hope you rode today - the weather was incredible 58 or so. Next weekend they are predicting 50's again - if it is decent we should get out and ride. I ride with a Z1000, CBR600RR, and a katana most of the time. There are a couple others that get out as well sometimes. We should get a group ride or something together.

Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Live in Corydon, wished I lived in Greencastle. I'll probably see you around town. My Duc is silver with blue SS stripes and under engine exhausts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey I live in Louisville. I have seen a silver monster with a road racing exhaust going down Main street (hwy 111) on my way to work.

There used to be several of us Kentuckians and Southern Indianaians one the list but I don't hear from them any more.

We must ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts