Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that all after market lighweight wheels (rear) come in 5.5" or 6". I think my 620 comes with 4.5 stock. Question #1 Does this mean I have no choice to go up in wheel size if I get them? #2 Do I have to modify anything at the back end ?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Most manufacturers have more than just 5.5 or 6 inchers. The're just the most popular. A wider rim on your bike means a wider tire, which will handle differently. It'll turn in slower.
Looks cooler though!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well if you consider the difference in weight, your bike will probably still turn in quicker. for my monster s4 for example, going from the standard 5spoke aluminum rims (lighter than your 3spoke brembo's) to marvic piuma 5spoke cast magnesium rims, i saved over 8.5 lbs front & rear! i went with the same size as stock for my bike, but if you went from the 3spoke brembos on your m620 to mag rims, you'll be saving so much weight that another 1/2" of width would be more than compensated for.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with Strati. All the 600s and 750s that have converted to 5.5 magnesium rear wheels have reported quick turning bikes. The wheel fits with no mods.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ps - thanks to motowheels on the great deal on the rims! (along with a pile of other stuff i've blown my kid's college fund money on!!!)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys missed tha last part of my orig. question. Is there a need to modify the back end at all to fit the 5.5" rims?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree with Strati. All the 600s and 750s that have converted to 5.5 magnesium rear wheels have reported quick turning bikes. The wheel fits with no mods.

Think this is what you are looking for. :D

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
So what is the effect of lightweight wheels on STABILITY? such as mid corner bumps??

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Less unsprung weight should allow your suspension to work better in those situations.

--Fillmore

1 - 10 of 10 Posts