Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating on whether or not to splurge for a lightweight clutch basket. I can see the adantages of less rotating mass in the clutch, but is it really worth the cost? I'm looking at $200 for the friction plates already, do I dare spend the extra $300 for the basket too?

-dj

·
Registered
426 Posts
I find it hard to believe you don't need a basket if you need new plates. Light weight aluminum baskets with aluminum friction discs work fine are quieter and last longer then stock. A light weight clutch "KIT" often includes a light weight hub saves about a pound or so and makes the bike shift better and easier.

R

·
0 Posts
The difference is quite appreciable....
smoothed things out quite a bit actually...but is it worth the cost...?
If your basket is binned, I guess it would be worth it to go for the whole kit in my mind.

It was easy for me as my clutch was done, and the shop had a slightly used six spring 48 tooth STM, so I got a great deal.
But if I would buy new I would look at the single spring and even a slipper.....

F

·
0 Posts
When looking at new clutches what should you look for? What are they advantages of different spring configurations? Anything else that I should know?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Definatly worth getting. I would recommend the Nichols unit & have them hand fit Barnett plates. But!!, as long as you're spending that much, why not spend a little more & get a slipper clutch? Check with Motowheels for the pros & cons of different models.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Definatly worth getting. I would recommend the Nichols unit & have them hand fit Barnett plates. But!!, as long as you're spending that much, why not spend a little more & get a slipper clutch? Check with Motowheels for the pros & cons of different models.
Please help the under-informed and bless me/us with the benifits of a slipper clutch...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, looking close at the pics I took, it does appear that the basket is pretty worn. You can see a couple of quick pics I took while pulling it apart here.

I've thought about a slipper before, but I think I can live without it. I very very rarely have a problem with the rear wheel snagging.

At least it's still pretty early into winter, so I have some time to save up before the weather gets nice.

Yo Retro, let me know if you find any more deals on STM baskets. ;)

Thanks for the feedback and info guys!

-dj

·
Registered
796 Posts
To me your clutch looks fine, plates and basket. I just had my whole clutch apart and yours looks better than mine. I even showed mine to the guys at GP and they said it looked better than what was in their bikes.
Are aluminum clutch parts worth it? IMO no, if I had the money would I do it, probably. Its just fun to do!
I dont think your clutch needs any work though. Take a look at it in 3000mi. and I bet It wont look much worse.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
A slipper clutch allows the clutch to slip instead of the rear wheel hopping when you screw up your downshift. If you don't ride aggresively, it's not important, but if you do, big twins can really be a handfull when that rear wheel starts hopping.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't notice this last time I was on MotoWheels, so it might be a new item, but for anyone trying to save some cash and shed some weight, check out this $200 aluminum clutch basket. It's olny 1.5 pounds lighter than stock, but hey, it's a pretty good deal!

Personally, I've been able to sell some old stuff laying around in the garage, like those IWS 18" GTI wheels, so I think I'll be able to pick up the MotoWheels lightweight kit next month. ;D

Has anyone had any experience with this kit? If so, please share!

-dj

S

·
0 Posts
go with the kit... the basket included with the kit's made of 7000 series aluminum which is harder -> will last longer than the $200 6000 series unit (for which you'd have to buy a clutch pack anyways, right?)...

looks like a good deal, but personally, i went with a lightweight clutch kit from yoyodyneti.com which included a hub as well. wound up paying about $600 for the hub, basket, a barnett stack, and to have my stock pressure plate's springwells machined to accept the billet springcaps that came with the kit:

it's NOT a slipper clutch but a pretty good deal for a lighweight unit.

M

·
0 Posts
I didn't notice this last time I was on MotoWheels, so it might be a new item, but for anyone trying to save some cash and shed some weight, check out this $200 aluminum clutch basket. It's olny 1.5 pounds lighter than stock, but hey, it's a pretty good deal!

Personally, I've been able to sell some old stuff laying around in the garage, like those IWS 18" GTI wheels, so I think I'll be able to pick up the MotoWheels lightweight kit next month. ;D

Has anyone had any experience with this kit? If so, please share!

-dj

The kit with the 7000 series basket is the better value. The basket lasts much longer than the 6000 series baskets.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
go with the kit... the basket included with the kit's made of 7000 series aluminum which is harder -> will last longer than the $200 6000 series unit (for which you'd have to buy a clutch pack anyways, right?)...

looks like a good deal, but personally, i went with a lightweight clutch kit from yoyodyneti.com which included a hub as well. wound up paying about $600 for the hub, basket, a barnett stack, and to have my stock pressure plate's springwells machined to accept the billet springcaps that came with the kit:it's NOT a slipper clutch but a pretty good deal for a lighweight unit.
Which reminds me Strati, when you gonna get the rest of the clutch install pics up? ;)

Yep, I plan on going with the kit. I was going to get the spring caps aw well, but what is involved in making them fit? Just hone out the holes?

-dj

X

·
0 Posts
How many miles are you guys getting out of the stock clutch before you are replacing them?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I've got over 8,000 on mine, and there's lots of plate left.

But I don't abuse it by doing burnouts and other silly stuff like that.....

D

·
0 Posts

Are you serious? I've got about 8.5k on mine. the dealer sad I need to replace them when I got my 6k service. Of course, I didn't get my 6k service until 8k miles, insufficient funds.

So, how do I know if it needs replacing? Should I go stock or aftermarket? Looks like more mods.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think you can get alot more out of a clutch than 8000 mi. If your shifts are quick and your throttle control is good, I dont think you would have to worry until about 12000 (Im not talking about track use though)

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
My red monster has 25,000 miles on the original clutch. I've had to deglaze & shuffle it a couple of times, & it makes a lot of noise at idle, but it still works great. I'm going to see if I can set a world record. The clutch has lots of wheelies & a few burnouts in it's history as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts