Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thanks for all the great opinions and terrific help I have found here.

I am the new owner of an almost 5,200-mile largely stock

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I share your visibility concerns bye, honestly, have done little to address them.

A few observations:

Reflective clothing is very helpful in night time visibility. I wear all black leather with no reflectors whatever :eek:

I did get red 3M reflective pinstriping tape from an autoparts store and tape some simple patterns on my anthracite helmet. I have a band around the bottom, the top of the visor opening and a triangle in back.

I have removed the reflectors from my bike (no Ducati embossed on the forks on the '99 either). I found though that my red tape very closely matches the red of the front fender and I put a stripe on each side go give some retroreflection from the front. It's nearly invisible in daylight.

I replaced my tail light bulb with an 1157 LED replacement because the filament bulbs kept going out on me (vibration it seems). I'm told the replacement is pretty weak, but I figure it's better than no light at all! Someone recently posted on DML information on low cost, high brightness LEDs that could be used to supplement the 1157. His plan was to drill a hole in the reflector on each side of the bulb and install the LEDs. He'd then wire with a relay and two different value resistors to get low light for running and brighter light when braking. He's not posted a follow-up of results. I'll look for that info and post here.

I have small, very feeble, aftermarket turn signals. The packaging cautioned that they should NOT be run continuously. I'll bet something in there would melt! I don't know about thermal issues with the stockers. Look into that if you want to make them running lights.

I've heard that the very expensive, very beautiful billet halogen signals sold at MotoWheels are extremely bright. I haven't coughed up the $200 it would cost to switch over (that's DML member price).

Remember that no matter what you do to enhance your visibility, ride as though you are completely invisible!

I look forward to other suggestions on this thread. I too, want to continue to enjoy my Monster rather than becoming road pizza.

S

·
0 Posts
to get the signals to work as running lights, get a set of dual-fillament (3wire) signals and tie one of the positives into the brakelight running wire.
note that the stock signals won't work in this manner as they're single-fillament (2wire)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Halo band around my helmet, Silver/grey by day, reflects brightly at night. My wife followed me home the other night and she said the band really stands out.

Doesn't do anything for your light situation but they're cheap and every little helps (I hope..)

http://www.reflectivedecals.com

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
http://www.competitionaccessories.com sells "Priority lites" which uses your turn signals as running lights and they also light up brighter with the brake light. I bought one for my Monster but have not put it on yet. It is not a simple clip on module, you have to splice wires together, thats why mine is not on yet. We want to have plenty of time to sit down and make sure we get it right. It costs

R

·
0 Posts
How about killing 2 birds with one stone. A nice vented Vanson Jacket.

That glows in the dark and is reflective.

You can have the material made into any patten you like on the jacket. Even a huge bulls eye on your back if you have a sick enough sense of humor. Maybe a Big Ducati logo, or better yet.............

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. My real concern was with daylight -simply having people be aware that I'm slowing down and, god-forbid on some roads, having to stop to make a left. I know it may strike some as nuts, but however much I enjoy it I try to avoid night driving. I lost a friend to a night's ride: hit from behind by a teenager doing over 90 on a secondary highway. (Notwithstanding, I already have the Vanson. [smiley=cool.gif])

Any additional advice as to Halagon replacements, vs LED, vs strobes or anything else, or a source (thanks for the Comp. link to the priority light!). Too often there seems to be reams of stuff and places catering to bikes other than Ducs. Agreed, there are universal things available, but often I've found they're downright crap. You know, safety's one thing, but I still have to have the Girl look great [smiley=wink.gif]

Thanks again, and Cheers,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts