Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done the lighter clutch basket, high comp pistons, pipe and powercommander... VeeTwo cams are in the mail but I'm still not sure about the lightened flywheel? Does anybody have experience with this. I read about the advantage of faster revs and engine braking but want to know how it effects the bike as a daily rider? ???

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I guess it depends on your definition or "worth it". I put the 12oz Nichols on about a year ago. It was kind of fun doing it myself; took a couple of hours as I recall, 45 minutes of which was banging the hell out of my sidecover to get it off. I spent around $250, including the replacement nuts they recommend over stock. It does rev quicker, has more engine braking, and even a "looser" feel due to less gyroscopic effect. But it didn't turn it into a wheelie monster. Bottom line, a real, but marginal improvement. I guess it depends on how much time/money you can afford. Going to a 14T countersprocket was a more impressive mod.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Less rotating mass = faster spin up, faster spin down (more engine braking). Do it, you'll really like it.

S

·
0 Posts
i put on in. didn't bother with the fancy jamnuts. i really like the idea of them, but have faith in the stock nut (for now).
for the $$$ (especially if you install it yourself), i think it's totally worth it.

M

·
0 Posts
just finished having the dp flywheel installed 2 weeks ago. makes a huge difference in acceleration and makes matching revs to downshift much easier. as far as increased engine braking, i dont feel it. i think the dp is only half the weight of stock, not 12oz like the nichols. i had a 944 hi-comp ss with this flywheel. around town and commuting it sucked! once out in the twisties, fantastic! i think the monsters should come from the factory with the dp flywheel. i have also noticed better fuel mileage since the change. but i also had the valves done at the same time, so i cant pin all on that. cheers.
mike

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well geeze it sounds like it is going to be hard to say no!! ;D

I was expecting some issues like rougher running in town or stalling at lights maybe more vibration or something bad. If what everybody is saying is the whole truth I don't understand why they would put the heavy flywheel on from the factory? ???

I can pick one up new for a hair over $200... Cheap mod!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts