Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Lighter clutch for m750 dark - im a man with girl hands ..

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  hiero 
#1 ·
Hi people,

Im a newbie with a m750 dark - I love the grunt & the power but man , that pain between my thumb & forefinger on my left hand is killer only after 10 mins !!
I heard the m695 has a superlite clutch as standard - is there anything for my m750 dark 2000 model ?

I don't think I can used to that heavy clutch :-[
my hands just seem to girlie for the monster - jap bikes are fine ie: the hornet etc but the once I get on the monster - im in agony & my hand just feels numb from the pain .

Please give me tips on what I can do to the clutch or if its possible to get the same clutch for the m695 fitted to an m750 - aany info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance [thumbsup]

#5 ·
The newer, lower model bikes like the 695 have wet clutches which makes the clutch pull easier.

As everyone else has said, an aftermarket clutch slave will help a great deal. You may still get fatigued in heavy stop and go traffic, but other than that you should be good.

Most popular tend to be the evoluzione or yoyodyne slaves. I have the evoluzione but personally like the look of the STM unit.

#7 ·
Cheers for all the info guys - I will chat to my local ducati service dept - ( Im in London UK ) about an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder.
Im new with bikes let alone the Monster - so - Im not that confident at fitting a new clutch myself unless its reeeeal easy ? is it relatively easy to fit myself do you think ?
Also - would getting rid of some clutch springs ' AND ' adding an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder help to make a more lightweight clutch , or is that overkill ?
I read in some of the other posts about APTC clutches & how they made a vast improvement , to the point you could easily use your pinky ??
Maybe thats an exaggeration - but - surely theres a way to make em as light as the 695's ?
Was hoping - when the weather gets warmer I was gonna commute to work in the center of town - maybe I have to rethink my m750 for an s2 or a 695 - I actually like the new Buell xb9s city cross also but - Im a new bike rider - so I opted for a used m750 dark as a first bike to learn on etc.

Cheers for all the comments & info - this board is aa goldmine [thumbsup]

#9 ·
definately do the clutch slave and adj lever first (wouldnt hury to do a braided stainless line while youre there too...if it has rubber lines)

It is not a ultra-complicated job....i have done it successfully.
but it does require bleeding the clutch, and that can be tricky sometimes.

the removal of springs should be a last resort (if at all). that can compromise clutch function.
(i probably stole that from the LT book... ;D)

#11 ·
moondust said:
I don't think I can used to that heavy clutch :-[
How long have you had the bike? I'd suggest riding it for a bit, maybe a thousand miles or so before you decide to start spending money on the problem. Yeah the clutch pull is heavy, but _most_ people do get used to it in a reasonably short amount of time... Ride it a few hundred miles a week for a few weeks and see how you go.

If that doesn't work, like others have pointed out, there are a few options, most of them _much_ cheaper than fitting a slipper clutch! I'd first try adjustable levers, moving the takeup point in closer to the bar gives your hand better leverage and may solve the problem on its own - there are cheapo adjustable levers available for ~$20US which makes it easy to test out, if you like the solution but not the cheap levers you can then upgrade to the bling levers when you know for sure that they'll fix your problem. Next up is an aftermarket slave cylinder, Evoluzione, MPL, VeeTwo, and Yoyodyne all make bigger slaves that'll reduce lever effort by up to 20% or so - I think you're looking at ~$200US for one of them.

If I was in the UK, I'd probably start by calling Stuart at http://www.spareshack.com/ to see whats easily available locallly...

big

#13 ·
+1 to sucking it up and being a MAN...as you claim in your subject >:D

Honestly though, I had "Clutch Hand" for a couple weeks and now it is fine. Took about a month to get used to. Just think exercise whenever it hurts. Or get better at swapping to neutral quickly at stop lights.

#15 ·
+2 on give it some time. These two young ladies both have dry clutches, which have a heavier clutch pull than yours. You'll get used to it.

David B.

#16 ·
since no one's said it so far, removing springs on the wet clutches would not be an advisable action as you're more likely to get into slipping clutch problems on the wet clutches with this 'mod,' not to mention it's not as easy to do with a wet clutch as a dry.

I don't believe you can retro fit an APTC to the 750, someone smarter than me will know though...

keep riding as everyone has said and update us in a few months

#17 ·
ducati does sell the apc clutch as an upgrade kit for the 750s just not the 97 and older models.
the clutch pull would be just as the 695 has with no slave change needed.
the kit comes complete with a clutch,primary gear set,new master cylinder (usualy we don't install these just use them as spares).
huge change in effort well worth the $$
how much???? $$$$$ in the states the kit runs between $5-600 . a good mechanic should be able to easily install it in less than 2 hours.

price replacement clutch packs ,master cylinders if the bike needs any of these its not much more to get the clutch pull you want.
cheers

#18 ·
ducvet said:
ducati does sell the apc clutch as an upgrade kit for the 750s just not the 97 and older models.
the clutch pull would be just as the 695 has with no slave change needed.
the kit comes complete with a clutch,primary gear set,new master cylinder (usualy we don't install these just use them as spares).
huge change in effort well worth the $$
how much???? $$$$$ in the states the kit runs between $5-600 . a good mechanic should be able to easily install it in less than 2 hours.

price replacement clutch packs ,master cylinders if the bike needs any of these its not much more to get the clutch pull you want.
cheers
good info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.