Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you're about to turn around to head home and it starts snowing. What do you do?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
take the tyres off and start sliding on the rims ;D

Seriously. Either slowing away hard and head home with like 20km/h or park the bike somewhere and wait till the snowing ends.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
goldenchild said:
you're about to turn around to head home and it starts snowing. What do you do?
depends on the terrain

I highly doubt it will be snowing for the entire 100 miles

I would drop elevation asap

you should have a few minutes before it starts to build up if it even does

and when it does slow down and get on the shoulder

creep down the mountain

I rode an entire winter 2 years ago

riding the 10 miles out of the snow zone was kinda lame bit the shoulder worked fine

especially if they plow and sand

it builds up on the shoulder and there is pleny of traction

Now, if it is a blowing snowstorm

Hope you wore full gear and your buddy has a pick-up

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I don't know about 100 miles but at 30 miles from home it started snowing while I was on my VFR. The storm was following me south. I took it up to 130mph and stayed on the leading edge of the storm until I had to turn and head west. Then I slowed down and just left lots of room around me so I wouldn't have to make any sudden maneuvers. The bike will be fine on snow, even at fairly high speeds. You just can't turn or stop fast. So make sure you don't put yourself in a position where you have to.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good advice, thanks folks. I'm hoping I won't be facing this possibility tomorrow. The chance is pretty small, but hey, you never know.

·
Registered
541 Posts
continue home....suck it up princess ;D

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
motogpfan said:
Whats a snow?
F***in' prissy tropical Ba$!^#@$...... ;)

I just spent the day in snowshoes freezing my toes off. :'( There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home.....

Seriously, I rode my 2000 Yamaha V-star 1100 Classic (600lbs of unwieldy big-assed bike) over Vail Pass through about 6 inches of fresh white stuff. Ride slow, constantly analyze your technique and it's effects on your bike, be aware of your surroundings, avoid cambered surfaces, be gentle with the power and brakes, and always be ready to stop and call a buddy with a truck if it gets too bad. The snow that hits the ground first (here in CO) is usually immediately turned to slush, which actually has ok traction as a base road layer. You should be fine if you're careful.

Good luck on your ride.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
xswimordiex said:
i stop and wonder how in the hell it snowed in southern california ;D
Snow level hit 2200 ft last winter. That's snow on the ground in the hills of Eastern OC. I've seen snow on Palomar Mt., too.

BTW, people, the local (1.5 hr drive, a bit less on the bike) mountains are 10000' (the lifts are at 7000). There's a foot of snow at 'Summit, and 4 runs are open, and more at Big Bear, although it's nearly all man-made.

It's not that hard to get out into the mountains of Southern California for a ride and (having paid no attention to the weather report) find yourself dealing with some snow.

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
just follow all the busy highways where they plow/salt and cagers keep the pavement warm(er).

I ride thru the winter here in New England. I always end up riding in the snow for a couple miles...

Q

G

·
Been there, done that.

Just ride home. If it starts to stick / becomes more than slush, reconsider.

I've been caught a few times in snowy/sudden freeze conditions, and to be honest I was far more worried about hypothermia causing me to crash than anything else.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yeah, I live at the foot of Mt. Baldy in So Cal and I've been on the mountain when it starts snowing. Luckily it's only about 30 minutes from top to bottom as long as you're not at the skii resort so you can easily run home before the snow gets bad.
iBike said:
Snow level hit 2200 ft last winter. That's snow on the ground in the hills of Eastern OC. I've seen snow on Palomar Mt., too.

BTW, people, the local (1.5 hr drive, a bit less on the bike) mountains are 10000' (the lifts are at 7000). There's a foot of snow at 'Summit, and 4 runs are open, and more at Big Bear, although it's nearly all man-made.

It's not that hard to get out into the mountains of Southern California for a ride and (having paid no attention to the weather report) find yourself dealing with some snow.
Yeah, I live at the foot of Mt. Baldy in So Cal and I've been on the mountain when it starts snowing. Luckily it's only about 30 minutes from top to bottom as long as you're not at the skii resort so you can easily run home before the snow gets bad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts