Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cold pavement... YOWZA!

I've had a couple of front tire slips this fall leaving the parking lot from work and just after leaving my house in the morning, but I had a big, bad tire push this morning.

I was a good 20 miles into my commute so I figured the tires would be warmed. It was back roads, 30-40 MPH with some stoplights, but still, I figured the tires should stick. I backed off the car in front of me to make some space for my favorite right-left combo. I accelerated toward the corner and tipped in aggressively. WOOOPS. I lost the front end BIG TIME! My lightening quick reflexes ;D are the only thing that saved some bike damage. I straightened the wheel to unload the front tire and rode out of the situation with lots of room to spare, but maybe only because the combo led me into that immediate left. If that had been a 90 degree right with a straight after, I'd likely have ridden into the other lane after saving the slide :eek:

Checked Accuweather when I got into work and it's 40 out there. I guess Pilot Powers give up a little grip on 40 degree pavement. ;D

Anyway, don't ride like me! Be careful out there.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Well done to make the recovery! I had a similar incident this morning. I take a roundabout before getting onto the highway which I can usually take aggressively since it's about 10+ minutes into my commute. This AM, though, the tires way too cold (41F) and I started to lose traction into my lean. I was able to ease off enough to reduce my lean and hold traction. But it caught me a little off-guard. Cold tires and cold pavement == give the tires a lot more time to warm up!!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
..well done...both the save and the advice!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Not only leaf peepers, but wet leaves as well.
Yesterdays rain + wind + leaves = very slippery conditions :eek:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Nice save both of you.

And be careful if anyone is rocking Pilot Roads. I've noticed mine are really slick when the roads are cold. Powers next, definitely.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the applause [clap]

I've hung the rear wheel out pretty far on a number of occasions and have been quite comfortable with it. Probably comes from a bunch of bicycling. MTB especially; you can't descend loose or wet stuff if you're not comforatble letting the rear wander around a bit.

But my one moto crash was grabbing the front brake abruptly in a lean and washing out the front tire. I was on the ground before I knew what happened; no time to react. That experience made me feel that, unlike a rear slide, a front slide is pretty much unrecoverable (even though I know the big boys do it all the time). Well, I just proved to myself that's not the case ;D This slide was BIG, but the bike responded very well and very smoothly to a correction.

The experience wasn't harrowing at all; it just reinforced my connection to my bike. Buuut, I'd better cool it 'till it warms up 'cause I can't count on pulling it out consistently... on the road... in traffic ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
ONE crash in a MOTO???? ONE??? Off road I crash at least once a day. Not crashing??? Not going fast enough I've been told.

You are my hero Crash!!! [clap]

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
DucHockey said:
Nice save both of you.

And be careful if anyone is rocking Pilot Roads. I've noticed mine are really slick when the roads are cold. Powers next, definitely.
I'm noticing on my front pilot that any temp. below 55, it never really gets as sticky as it was this summer. Or at least I don't feel as comfortable.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
S4R4FUN said:
ONE crash in a MOTO???? ONE??? Off road I crash at least once a day. Not crashing??? Not going fast enough I've been told.
I've heard the same thing.

But maybe it means I'm going just fast enough! ;)

In an attempt to qoute HST:

"The only people who really know where the edge is, are those who have gone over it."

I've gone over a lot of edges and lived to tell about it, but I'm trying to generally stay this side of the moto crash edge. Best way to do that is sneak up on it real slow like...

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ducatizzy said:
Cold pavement + traffic = condensation.
Good point. I was looking at that turn again this morning trying to figure out what was different about it cause I still don't think I was going that fast and my tires should have warmed up somewhat.

There's a lot of traffic and it slows substantially for that corner. Could be a lot of cars with cold engines dropping vapor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts