Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I GOT MY BIKE BACK!!!

...f i n a l l y...after weeks of taking the cage, riding the Schwinn, taking Muni, taking BART and hoofin' everywhere, I got 'er back tonight.

For those that don't know the history, on Sept. 10, as I was finishing up a ride my bike suddenly started making a funny noise and running rough at a stoplight as I was sitting at idle. What happened? A valve guide in the horizontal cylinder had shattered...bad news for my trusty steed. The initial damage actually wasn't too bad--probably could have fixed it up for a few hundred bucks. The real problem was discovered after opening up the engine. The overall wear and tear on it after 38K miles in 12 years: most of the major internals were worn beyond acceptable specifications. This was somewhat of a surprise at such an early age, but I was told that I don't "ride nice." :-X

Basically we ended up rebuilding the engine, and by "we" I mean Desmoto. ;D Here's what was done:

Replaced main bearings,
Replaced rod bearings,
Replaced misc. washers,
Replaced more bearings...
Replaced O-rings,
Replaced cam seals,
Replaced misc. nuts,
Replaced more washers...
Replaced 2 keepers,
Replaced front sprocket plate,
Replaced crush washers,
Replaced oil filter,
Replaced exhaust gaskets,
Replaced battery vent hose,
Replaced 2 valve guides,
Replaced 2 valves,
Machined the heads,
Installed 944 kit,
Valve adjustment,
Oil change,
Cleaned 1 bar end mirror. ;D

Yeah, you read right: 944 kit. It was cheaper than replacing the same items with OEM--by like half as much thanks to the generous offer by Troyslap here on the board. Needless to say, the bike has a bit more 'get-up' than before. >:D I keep thinking that the throttle cable has been messed with... [laugh] I don't think that's the case, but I won't be able to really tell until I get out of the break-in period...500 miles under 6K rpm. I gotta "ride nice." :angel:

As usual, [clap] Desmoto [clap] did fantastic job, not just in the work, but in working with me to keep costs down where they could, providing me with options, and being respectful and courteous. They give a discount to DML members on parts, too. :-*

I'll post up picts when I get hold of a camera. I'm soooo happy to be riding again.

G

·
Wooohooo!

Now realize that after all that work...

Well if your motor had a voice it'd be saying "Be gentle... it's my first time" [cheeky]

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
DrunkenMonkey said:
Well if your motor had a voice it'd be saying "Be gentle... it's my first time" [cheeky]
That makes me do bad things....

Congrats bell. You should have 500mi by saturday... maybe a mines and del puerto run :)

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Drivetrane. :)

DrunkenMonkey said:
Wooohooo!

Now realize that after all that work...
Well, I didn't do all that much work. However, I wrote the fat check that covered the work, and I clocked in a few hours in order to make the $$. [cheeky]

DrunkenMonkey said:
<insert disgusting guy-popping-cherry joke> ;D

The_Calamari_Kid said:
Congrats bell. You should have 500mi by saturday... maybe a mines and del puerto run :)
Yeah, 500 miles seems like a lot, but I easily do 125 during the weekly commute. Add in a couple of easy runs in the hills and I could hit 500 in a few weeks. We should do a newb friendly ride. I can do sweep with my limited speed. :angel:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Congrats on getting your bike back [thumbsup] It's practically a new bike ;)

I'm up for a newb friendly ride or somewhat mellow pace...have a bike in similar situation as yours >:D

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I can't make the ride this week, but next week should be good--I think TCK is organizing again after this week. Let's get Monkey v. Robot out there too. We'll have a "Gals Gone Ridin'" chill ride and a picnic or something. [thumbsup] Maybe we can get some folks with timid significant others to come pillion since the speed will nice n mellow.

·
Registered
769 Posts
no can do next weekend -- will be at willow springs on the kawi >:D >:D >:D am very excited about that ;D

i'd love to do a gals chill ride & picnic (guys welcome too of course).

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The camera wasn't returned to me until just now. Picts will wait till tomorrow cuz I'm in my jammies now and it's chilly outside.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Good to hear everything is sweet again... Congratulations. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mostrobelle said:
Yeah, I can't make the ride this week, but next week should be good--I think TCK is organizing again after this week. Let's get Monkey v. Robot out there too. We'll have a "Gals Gone Ridin'" chill ride and a picnic or something. [thumbsup] Maybe we can get some folks with timid significant others to come pillion since the speed will nice n mellow.
Sounds good! I will probably have freaked myself out enough going around twisties on my new tires and will want to mellow out by then.

Ducky said:
i'd love to do a gals chill ride & picnic (guys welcome too of course).
Yeah, the guys can fan and feed us.

Mostrobelle said:
You know we don't have pillow fights in lingerie on picnics, right Jim? [laugh]
Well, if he wants to videotape maybe we should get the guys to wear the lingerie and do the pillow fights this time. Of course they would have to submit pix to make sure we'd even want to see them in lingerie..............I bet Spidey and Tiggy – Well, nevermind....

·
Registered
191 Posts
And thanks for that extra special creepy comment Donovan:

The_Calamari_Kid said:
That makes me do bad things....

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All right--here's da photos. Nothing too major. It's clean...cleaner than it's been in a very long while. I'd be lying if I said that I was going to try to keep it that way.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.