Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heh - normal day... got the monster out of it's space, walked it out to the sidewalk, put the kickstand o'death down, got off the bike to close and lock the gate...kickstand went one way, the bike went the other - straight down.

<sigh> that sucked - broken clutch lever, bent all to crap shift lever, bent shift linkage - no downshifting without the kickstand down. i had to pull the shift lever off, bang it with a hammer, put it back on, use a screwdriver against the kickstand to straighten it out.

got it fixed, went on my ride with my housemate. met him at a marina on cross-island parkway. there is about 7ft of room before a merge on a 50mph (more like 70!) 3 lane highway. well, i got on the throttle merging in...found out that 900cc's will pick the front wheel up! luckily, the mini-van that almost rode up my tailpipe swerved to miss me while i was trying not to high-side when the front wheel came down. durrr- that was stupid. 2500 miles and i think i am biaggi.

managed to finish the ride (250 miles of bear mountain and ny backroads) and then the rains came...and came...and came. thank goodness for a good rainsuit. didn't really mind it much. stayed dry and happy for 45 min of downpour...and then...

coming back on the palisades, in a downpour - i couldn't downshift! durrr....that's not good. the linkage that was bent in dropping the bike got more bent thruout the day...so there's me in the bronx taking apart the shift linkage and raising up the lever so it would engage correctly.

what did i learn today?

1. when you least expect it, the bike will drop.
2. over-confidence and 900cc's don't mix!
3. rainsuits are good, very good.
4. when you fix something, make sure you truly fix it.

just had to vent - thanks!

cheers!
steve

D

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your hellday.

I have often worried about the piss-poor kickstand givimg up one day.

Let us know how much the repair cost is.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
talk about a bad day! fix that sidestand next since it started the whole chain of events.
you deserve an award for perseverance ;D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm impressed with your fortitude.

Part of the lesson I learned from your story is that I will take my bike to the dealer/mechanic when something breaks to get it fixed before a 250 mile ride. Me...I'm not as brave as you.

Great story.

M

·
0 Posts
Should be entitled... "A Day in the Life: the Unshakable Spirit of the Monster Rider" ;D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ahhhhh, the excitment of owning a bike! ;D

Ya know there's another way to look at it all, you had some events that were outside the box of a "normal" "uneventful" ride...but, you overcame them and still had a ride. You learned a few things in the process that will only add to your experience.

Coulda been worse...like not being a biker and enjoying the motorcycle experience! ;)

Take for instance one of mine... not changing my plugs when i knew it was time. Out riding and the bike is not running worth a f**k. Realizing I didn't bring spare plugs and had removed the extraodinarily high quality Ducati tool kit (sarcasm) from beneath the seat and left back on the bench at home.
Meeting a couple of Harley riders (who pulled up to find out what was wrong with the bike) that just happened to have tools (harley riders, go figure ;D). We pulled and cleaned the plugs and were able to ride. A few others stopped also and to this day we ride/hang periodically together.

That's what it's all about bro! 8)

S

·
0 Posts
A true rider, good to hear it really turned out to be a good ride despite the setbacks. Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
other than the tip of the clutch lever, nothing truly broke. some scuffs on the bar-end and the benty shift lever. once i tightened up the linkage...in the DOWNPOUR!, that straighted up the bend in the eyebolt near the shifter. i will be ordering a new shifter and linkage to be on the safe side.

i'm semi-mechanically inclined, so it wasn't that difficult to fix myself. the side stand is fine, just didn't like the slight angle of the sidewalk and i guess the angle of mars in the house of venus or the lunar tide - it just moved forward the smidge it needed to go bye-bye. oh well, it had to happen, better 2 blocks from the house than 200 miles from tools. the worst thing is that i park the bike there everytime i take it out of the lot. grrrrrr....

i have enough qualms about giving $$ to dealers when i swear i don't get the level of quality i can do myself. i had to re-tension my chain and add almost a qt of oil less than 100 miles after my 12k service. if i had a place that would do world class service, i would gladly pay the $$.

oh yeah - one of the screws that held my seat cowl came off and is gone daddy gone...

what doesn't kill me just pisses me off. <g>

steve

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$.50?!? i wish. fast by Feracci...$1.93!

i wonder if i went faster with it than with OEM....hmmmm.

clutch lever - $69 in town. <sigh>

score so far: sidestand: 1, steve: 0

steve

S

·
0 Posts
... well it's like they say about fishing - "the worst day fishing is still better than the best day at work" ... "the worst day spent riding bear mountain is still better than the best ..."

Bent stuff can be straightened, broken stuff can be replaced, but you made it through OK and smarter because of it ... there's no way to fix a life that wasn't fullfilled ... it's a one-way trip and there's no rewind button - so play on, right?!!

No other way of looking at it. By the way, some quick advice ... when parking, try to get in the habit of leaving the bike in gear and roll it forward slightly to take out any "slack" in the drivetrain, before putting down the kickstand and walking away. If you are going to leave it idle in neutral, try making sure it's pointing uphill ... remove all variables that might enable it to move forward (even slightly) on it's own.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We have Daytona Nut & Bolt (numerous locations in florida) you can get any hardware (and I mean any!) there.

I recently lost a cowl screw and replaced both (as all they had was 5mm hexhead, not the stock 4mm) with titanium 5mm hex for 50 cents apiece.
Or i coulda went with aluminum or stainless or... try and find a place like Daytona Nut & Bolt, they have or can get the hardware at a fraction of the cost!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
tmronin, I just want to be clear on this... You put the side stand down, but because of the angle of the sidewalk, the bike rolled slightly forward, causing the stand to retract?
I just want to know what to look for, so I can try to prevent it with my bike.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the sidewalk slopes slightly towards the street... normally i pull the bike at an angle to make sure it doesn't roll and in gear as well. i must have not cut it enough across the slope when i stopped. it was also 7:45am and pre-coffee...that kickstand just sucks. just make sure the stand is set, esp without coffee in your system.

also you are a harley rider, the plastic disk that harley sells to rest the HD stand on rocks bells! at $5.95...cheapest thing in the dealership! harley riders loved the duc...only marquee with parts that are just as expensive as theirs!

cheers!
steve

N

·
0 Posts
Hi, greetings from teh UK,

That's a very common problem with Monsters, mine has done exactly the same (and I'm not the only other Monster owner).

If ya don't want the sidestand to spring back every time the bike is put upright it's very easy just to cut the top off the bolt that holds it on (the one that operates the spring to retract it) - hey presto no retracting stand it just goes up as normal when kicked up with your foot.

Another little tip brought to you from the UK Monster owners.

Ride safe

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Mine don't spring up when the bike is set up, you have to push it up?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
All of the Ducatis until about 1999 or so had the self-retracting side stand. You can cut the part of the bolt off that contacts the spring, or buy a real nice machined stainless steel bolt from Nichols. Chris at http://www.ca-cycleworks.com charges $15.00 for one (under the "other bits" category, at the bottom).

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
If I lived where I could get parts, I would have snagged a Nichols bolt. Two tipovers and I got pissed and cut it off. I got tired of using a crowbar to fix my Monster. That's OK on the HD but just plain wrong on the Duc.

Notice how many listed kickstand mods as most important mods in the poll?

Doc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts