Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think it is possible to weld an extension to the fork leg assembly (part 345.2.010.1A) to make it longer? How thick is that piece and what metal is it made of?

I quite being a pipe welder 5 years ago, but don't mind welding as a hobby. I've always wanted to make custom frames for bikes and I may try to do so with my totaled bike.

Anyone here have any experience with such things?

Can anyone here tell me more about how I could modify the front fork leg without affecting it's function?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
What year and model of Monster do you have?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If it's the slider you're referring to, that's a precision steel tube & welding an extension would likely distort it. If you're referring to the bottom piece that holds the axle, that's aliminum & I have no idea what extending it would do, but I suspect it wouldn't be particurally good. Why not just look for longer forks, & make/modify the triples to accept them?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The Multistrada sits a lot taller than a Monster. How long are the forks on the Multi? They may slide right into the Monster's triples.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Yeah, I came here for lemonade, what gives?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lemon is wrecking the darn bike. Lemonade was what came to mind as I was trying to make something good of it. I've always wanted to make custom frames and bikes, but I don't think this will be the bike or the time.

How about if I ask something more reasonable, like, "Are all of the Monster forks pretty much interchangeable?" I can't imagine that they changed the design every year, but it looks like the part numbers change quite frequently.

Anyone know where I can find out what changed from part number 344.2.010.1A to 344.02.010.2A? These are the forks of a 03 800 Sie and 05 MS2R, respectively.

Will the triple tree from different year models work on frames from different year models?

Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The monster forks are all roughly the same length (someone will chime in on this I'm sure...)

SS forks are a bit longer, ST forks are longer still, and MTS forks are WAY long...

Oh, and there's a set of MTS forks on Ebay right now...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts