Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a small oil leak on the left side case cover, just above the kickstand. Is there an actual gasket on it, or does it just have liquid gasket applied to it? Is it a fairly simple process to reseal?

I've got a 2001 M750 Dark (carbed) if it makes a difference. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i think it's just liquid gasket. i looked up the part schematic on bikebandit, and it doesn't list any actual gasket as going there.

someone who knows for sure will doubtless chime in, here in a minute.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
There are 2 ways to appoach this.

1. Use the sealant that is used from the factory. There are a couple of types you can use. 3 Bond, Hondabond 4 or Yamabond 4 Thaea are very close to the original Ducati stuff at less of a cost.

2. Call Chris at Ca-Cycleworks. He sells a gasket that works bitchin. I use them on all my bikes. The thing to remember is that you need to remove the small shim under the sensor in the cover. This will reset the airgap for the sensor, which will change if you use the gasket.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
i have a 2001 m900 and did a light flywheel last summer and i had and used liquid gasket just got it from auto supply and it worked perfect !

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I reccomend going to your local VW dealer and getting some of the special anorobic grey silicone sold for mating aluminum parts as a sealer...part number D-176-404-A2 !.....I get it for about 19 bucks a tube...and it is worth its weight in gold!.....much much better than any RTV silicone!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
In the location you are finding the oil it is possible it is not the cover gasket.
Make sure that it is oil and not chain lube, clutch fluid.
Make sure it is not oil from the clutch pushrod o-rings.
Look at the base gasket are of the vertical cylinder near the crankcase breather.

I would clean the area to be oil free, then fire the bike up and watch it for the origin of the leak.
if it is the cover , examine it carefully for cracks. I have seen loose chains whip into the case and cause damage.
good luck

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
2. Call Chris at Ca-Cycleworks. He sells a gasket that works bitchin. I use them on all my bikes. The thing to remember is that you need to remove the small shim under the sensor in the cover. This will reset the airgap for the sensor, which will change if you use the gasket.
What sensor is that? Specific for 750?

I have Chris gaskets, plan on using them when reassèmbling my 900. Any problem w
gaskets on my engine?
Excuse my small threadjacking.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I had a leak from chain throw like what ducvet described. I got real lucky that it didn't go all the way through my crank case.

For greenmonster, the newer monsters have some kind of sensor in them that is affected by the thickness of the gasket from Chris. This problem isn't a really big deal and can be fixed the way ducman mentioned or just call Chris and ask him if it still doesn't make sense to you. IIRC Chris's site tells you which monsters need a little tweaking to use his gasket. Go back and check to see if you fall under that category before you start worry much. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Checked CC`s site on alt side gasket, quote:
"Note, gasket's .014" thickness will affect sensor air gap on EFI models."

So, gasket doesn`t affect neither mine or christianweisser´s bikes since we`re both carbed.
Or is Ducman referring to something else?

Ths f the tip, erkishhorde!

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
greenmonster said:
Checked CC`s site on alt side gasket, quote:
"Note, gasket's .014" thickness will affect sensor air gap on EFI models."

So, gasket doesn`t affect neither mine or christianweisser´s bikes since we`re both carbed.
Or is Ducman referring to something else?

Ths f the tip, erkishhorde!
Thats the one GM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts