Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have an aftermarket fender eliminator with integrated "bug-eye" turn indicators, and they are way too dim for anyone to see. I was thinking of replacing the bulbs with 1" LED clusters, but thought I would check to see if anyone here has had any experience with them?

I hate electrical stuff, are they easy to install? There are "hard wire" and "pig tail" styles, which to order?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I've always been told that LED's are very dim during the daytime. They are more noticable at night. Wait, or maybe that's just the LED's in those goofy clear tail lenses. Either way, I haven't got a clue. Just thought I'd chime in.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
LEDs are bright enough as long as you have a reflector/diffuser cover on it.

by 2005 we'll start seeing cars with LED lights (turnsignals maybe to start with). Eventually 2010 the headlights will be LED.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
LEDs are starting to get a bad rep in the auto and motorcycle industries for being too dim, unfortunately it's also an unfair rep. Most people buy CHEAP LEDs, which are quite dim. If you pony up a couple extra dollars for a high quality LED bulb assembly they should actually be brighter than a standard incandecent bulb, as well as last longer, and pull less power.

Another reason LEDs tend to appear dimmer is that an LED has a smaller light arc than a standard bulb, especially on the cheap ones. A standard bulb can project light in about a 160 degree arc. Cheap LEDs are limited to about 30 degrees usually. One of the more innovative new LED bulbs takes a standard bulb shape and puts a bunch of LEDs inside it in a circular pattern, thus projecting a much wider arc of light.

Anyway, I made the mistake of buying a cheap replacement taillight for my Monster and it worries me that I won't be seen because of how dim it is. The better bulb is on it's way soon hopefully. On the other hand I bought very high quality LED turn signals from Roger Watsen design and they are VERY bright.

One last comment, as far as I understand it having a lens over the LED does not help brightness. The lenses themselves do very little to diffuse the light. The reason for this is that the LEDs are only projecting light outward from the lens, not toward the mirrored surface at the back of the assembly, which would effectively diffuse the light.

My 2 cents...

-Jordan

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, if I get the amber LED assembly (it's 1" wide, with lots of LED's in it...about $25 each) I won't need the lens cover? It seems that the LED can't be any dimmer than the lights that are in there now! Is it just a simple bulb replacement or are special electronics required?

S

·
0 Posts
Have you seen the new "cop cars"? they are starting to use LED and I believe that they are way brighter than the standard bulbs. They definately stand out. And anything we can do to be seen is a benifit.

S

·
0 Posts
I think filament bulbs may seem brighter becaus they are "harsher" than the solid state LEDs.

They'd definitely be more reliable (since they are a cluster, increased redundancy).

There should be no difference in terms of electrical schematics between installing LED cluster and a bulb, except that you need to keep the polarities right. Or else they simply won't glo :p

If you get a good buy let me know, i'll jump on it too.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I can attest to the "keeping the polarities right" b/c I reverse-engineered 2 LEDs to put them on my monster (rear signals). thought i broke them at first before switching the wires around. low resistance so they flash like they're on 'roids. i think they are visible at night but not during the day. probably will switch to flushmount rear signals.

S

·
0 Posts
An interesting thing to do is this:

compare the wattage rating for the LED cluster (should be spec'd when u purchased it) and wattage rating of the standard flasher bulb (tis in the manual)

If they are just about the same, then i believe they should be the same interms of brightness (Why? because LEDs are more efficient interms of electrical energy input and light energy output).

The issue of LEDs losing in daytime is due to the fact that LEDs have a limited "viewing angle". i.e they are brightest when u are looking directly @them. Look at them from the side and they are pretty dim. This is not the case with the incandescent bulbs that glow harsh allover (even from the back LOL)

This again can be solved with a well designed cluster and reflecter combo. I was looking @ LED cluster pictures, and they are all arranged in a plane (on a board) looking the same way.

-Spaceman.

S

·
0 Posts
ofcourse a better thing to do is get a light-meter and measure the brightness (in darkness) @ a calibrated distance as suggested by the meter.
-Spaceman.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts