Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pick up a $15 LED bulb (1157) off Ebay for my tail light on impulse. I was expecting it to be BRIGHTER but it is not. The bulb showed up in cheap generic packaging.

DO you think the brightness is weak because of the low quality?

Anyone steer me toward a good bright brand?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
The quality of the bulbs and the number of them make a huge difference. I picked up a 48 LED cluster bulb and it's truly brilliant, big difference over stock. You can find good ones through a site like this...

http://www.ledtronics.com/

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
What that LEDtronics bulb has that the cheap one probably doesn't, is extra LEDs emitting out the "sides" of the bulb. These use the reflector in you tail light assembly and greatly improve the field of view.

My cheap LED bulb has only back facing emitters and the intensity falls off rapidly off axis.

I like the LEDtronics design. Can't offer FHE on the brightness though.

I should try one. I've been told by riding buddies that my light is pretty lame :(

G

·
I purchased a tail light LED from Cusctom Dynamics and my recommendation is to NOT use them ever. The light worked for 1 week. It's not an issue of it working unless you feel like holding the contacts with your fingers while riding. I put the stock bulb in and it worked fine so that tells me the contacts are where they should be. I will give them the benifit of the doubt once I contact them about the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I have purchased multiple LED lights from both LEDTronics and Custom Dynamics without any problems. They both sell very high quality LEDs that seem to last. Sorry the hear about your problem thyer, but it sounds like you just got a defective tail light...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ditto on the confusion. I like the idea of side-emmitting LED's but which one fits the monster? BTW, can we use some of them to replace the bulbs for turn signals?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
That is the exact brake light I have, in fact that is the same review I read before making my purchase. Definitely a big step up from stock IMO. Plus, if you have a Monster with the newer frame and a chopped tail the LEDs won't break from vibration like fragile filament bulbs.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Dont buy those crappy so called "led-bulbs" They are nothing more than short-lifed crap. I am going to buy a led-insert to my M900 from this company......http://www.gkl-electronic.de/Bilder/

Mid-january 2004 they are making led-inserts for turn signals too,optional is 4 red leds in each rear turn-signal so when you brake you have a red stripe in each turn signal.I think the led-insert will look damn good together with my clear rear-lense

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
That full LED cluster looks very cool, maybe something to think about in the future. However, I totally disagree that LED bulbs are "crappy". Many are, that is true, but not if you spend the money on a higher quality bulb. In fact, my LED cluster bulb is so bright that it's painful to look at without the lense on, not crappy at all...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... those LED lites look much better than the round bulb type. I have the less-than-bright LED bulb version.

note: if your tail-light is always on (which is usually the case), you won't get the effect of a clear lens from the rear when riding since the red glow will show in the clear lens (making it appear like a red-lens cover). However, when the electrics are off, it will look clear.

G

·
There are varying brightness levels available in the L E D raw parts bin. Standard output diodes(that's what they are, not bulbs) can be purchased for a dime. On the other hand, the "super bright" diodes are generally over a dollar. New upstarts may be using standard or even bright diodes to keep costs down.(most kids don't even care if they work, as long as it's cool)
It would cost between 30 and 40 dollars(not including packaging and marketing) to produce a true superbright L E D "bulb". That would translate to over $80 at the retail level. I just don't think anyone is making such a device. Who would be buying them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts