Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my understanding of how a clutch works: once the clutch is engaged (lever pulled in) the two friction parts are completely separated. As you gradually let go of the clutch, first the parts lightly contact each other again but still slip, then as you keep going the spring exerts more and more force until there is no more slippage, at which point you can let go of the lever.

When I was learning how to drive a stick (an old beastly Ford F-350) my stepdad explained that it wore the clutch out if I left it engaged, so if I was sitting at stoplight I should put it in neutral. I can think of other reasons to switch to neutral when stopped, but clutch wear doesn't fit my concept (not that I disagree, I just don't know).

So is it bad to leave the clutch in instead of going to neutral?

·
Registered
132 Posts
No not really. There is a *small* amount of clutch drag, but I highly doubt that it would be enough to cause accelerated wear.

-Danimal

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I was under the impression that under the right circumstances the clutch could toast the plates by overheating, because of the friction involved... even if it's a small amount. I've never actually heard of anyone having the problem though.

I almost always just click it into neutral anyways... unless it's a stop sign or short light.

·
Registered
132 Posts
KHM said:
Besides wear of the actual plates (which is debatable) leaving the clutch disengaged will certainly wear the throw-out bearing. But these are cheap and easily replacable.
This could deffinately be true. It seems like a bike would have to sit at a lot of freakin stop lights for any of this to be an issue though...

-Danimal

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
i like to put it in nuetral when at a stop light, my music gives me an urge to drum on the tank so i look like a crazy person ;D

also when the light turns green, there's something special about grabbing the clutch, picking your foot up off the ground, and popping it into first real quick before you leave the others in the dust >:D

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Another "old guy" here who always leaves the bike in gear with the clutch lever held tight. Like to be at the ready at all times, although it didn't stop me from getting my old ass ran over a week ago Sunday. :'(

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Monster Zero said:
Another "old guy" here who always leaves the bike in gear with the clutch lever held tight. Like to be at the ready at all times, although it didn't stop me from getting my old ass ran over a week ago Sunday. :'(
Yikes, you OK? How 'bout the scoot?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Thanks for asking! Not settled yet, but I'll be OK. I've made some new friends: Lawyer, Orthopedist, Physical Therapist. Bike looked like cosmetic damage only but I've got folks I trust doing the work up so that she comes back 100%. A straight whack to the rear. Looks like the rear wheel was missed and the fender and exhaust took the direct hit. She took off without me for some distance then fell over. At least that's what I've been told.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Monster Zero said:
Thanks for asking! Not settled yet, but I'll be OK. I've made some new friends: Lawyer, Orthopedist, Physical Therapist. Bike looked like cosmetic damage only but I've got folks I trust doing the work up so that she comes back 100%. A straight whack to the rear. Looks like the rear wheel was missed and the fender and exhaust took the direct hit. She took off without me for some distance then fell over. At least that's what I've been told.
Sounds cheap!

-Lawyer
-orthopedist
-Physical Therapist
-effed up S4Rs

Good luck

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
The reason you put a car/truck into neutral is because you dont want to wear out the pressure plate, and it puts load on the Throwout bearing.... and besides, its only natural to put it in neutral instead of mashing the clutch. Its tons easier that way..... he was showing you right.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
MTL-DUC said:
Not to be Mr. safety, but I always leave it in first, clutch pulled. You never know when you'll need to pull out of harms way.

Oh F**K at 39, I feel like the old guy.
Same here. The MSF instructors beat this into our heads at the BRC.

I even got 5 points deducted from my eval on the quick stop test because I didn't get all the way down to first gear before I stopped. That is the single biggest deduction they take on the evaluation-- they really mean it.

Stay in first- it won't hurt the clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
First off, the clutch is normally engaged. By pulling the clutch lever you are disengaging the clutch. An engaged clutch is what drives the transmission. The only purpose of the clutch is to allow you to start off from a stop and to shift gears. There will be more wear on your clutch plates and throwout bearing if you hold the lever in for any length of time but what is even more of a factor is the increased load on your clutch hydraulics. With the clutch lever out and clutch engaged the hydraulics (read seals) aren't working at all. When you pull that lever you are pressurizing the system and the longer you hold the lever the longer and harder you are making those seals work. Your call on how soon you want to replace parts.

Some believe it's a safety issue and will gladly sacrifice parts for safety. Believe what you will. I think you're dreaming if you think you will have enough time and room to get out of the way of someone coming behind you.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
helmetcam said:
Same here. The MSF instructors beat this into our heads at the BRC.

I even got 5 points deducted from my eval on the quick stop test because I didn't get all the way down to first gear before I stopped. That is the single biggest deduction they take on the evaluation-- they really mean it.

Stay in first- it won't hurt the clutch.
no, the biggest point deduction is leaving your shield up :embarassed:

i had the highest score in the class, but i failed cause i left it up :'(

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
helmetcam said:
I accidentally had mine up for the first 3 parts of the test- they didn't deduct anything.
maybe its different here, i'm in cali

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Aguacate said:
This is my understanding of how a clutch works: once the clutch is engaged (lever pulled in) the two friction parts are completely separated. As you gradually ....etc
Just so you visualise this correctly, the clutch in a Ducati is a heap of steel plates and friction plates in an alternating sequence. About 12 of them from memory. Not just two parts .

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shooter said:
Just so you visualise this correctly, the clutch in a Ducati is a heap of steel plates and friction plates in an alternating sequence. About 12 of them from memory. Not just two parts .
Thanks for the clarification, that makes a lot more sense actually

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.