Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Wearing a fullface and leathers on a Harley would be like wearing a skid lid and t-shirt on a sport bike?? Sort of just like cowboys wear cowboy hats and boots, and soldiers wear the military outfit. It's sort of like seeing the Iraqi army in thier "dockers" and button down shirts and sandels- Sort of out of place-....

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
either that or wear a Ben Bostrom replica Suomy helmet while riding the HD - wonder how that would go over with the crowd? i think if i had an HD i'd take the out-board paddles off and stick race pegs on it

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
If I wore full leathers and a fuul face at HD events, everyone would be yelling, Hey your at the wrong rally, sportbike rally is down the street! Although you do see leather chaps and good leather jackets quite a bit. one time at an event a guy came in on a " Boss Hoss" ( a bike with a V8 motor ) and everyone was yelling at him, Get outa here, go to the Chevy rally!! At our HD dealer a guy did a burnout on a "Boss Hoss" it was pretty awesome!!

P

·
0 Posts
Well all your Harley bashing is true, but you need to increase it to Cruisers in general.

I went on a Poker Run (I was invited, it was a nice day, and they were hitting the twisties), and I would say 1 in 100 on the cruisers wore a brain bucket. Many (maybe a majority) of the cruisers were "Metric Cruisers". Even if you start off wearing a helmet but hang out with the "biker crowd", they will wear you down until you stop wearing a helmet at all (I mean, you must not be very strong willed anyway since you bought a cruiser like all the other sheep ;) )

They are living this Easy Rider fantasy and their fantasy just does not include helmets.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
" Easy Rider fantasy " I don't know if thats the case or not? I think that yhis particular bike group ( cruisers ) just sort of started out this way, long , long ago. And this type of gear just stuck down thru the years. I guess you would call that an "Easy Rider fantasy " if you think about it. Did all these "cruiser " groups branch off of the "outlaw bikers" years ago. During the outlaw biker years were there any other groups of riders? If there was what did they wear as Gear?When did the sport bike groups start showing up? what was thier gear at first? Did they start up during the racing years and when was the first sport bike race? Can anyone give me a history lesson here??

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
It almost seems like Peer Pressure and in these crowds it tends to be very strong!!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
In May of 1901, the first organized motorcycle race in the west took place on a 1-mile horse racing track in Los Angeles. Ralph Hamlin and his Orient bested three other riders to win the 10-mile contest in 18 and 1/2 minutes.

By 1909, board track racing was becoming the most popular motorcycle sport in the United States.

1913 was notable for the acknowledgment by Harley-Davidson of the business importance of factory-sponsored racing.

Through the 1950s most of the motorcycles in North America were manufactured by Harley-Davidson or by British manufacturers.

But during the 1960s and 1970s, Japanese manufacturers, including Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha, began to introduce motorcycles that had improved engines and suspensions capable of outperforming their American and English counterparts. Powerful inline four-cylinder 750 to 1200 cc engines in Japanese motorcycles soon dominated the street motorcycle market.

In the 1970s many U.S. states and Canadian provinces adopted helmet laws that required people to wear protective headgear when riding a motorcycle.

By the 1980s, motorcycle design had started taking shape and the leather racing suits you see today are taken from the racers who wore them

I would basically say that once all the major manufacturers (starting with the [email protected] interceptor 1982?) started offering motorcycles that looked similar to the ones you could find on the track, riders started buying replica race machines and the apparel that went with it.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Very interesting, Daffe, I'm very suprised to see how late the helmet law took effect. Also suprised to see how late the sportbike era was. Thanks for the history.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Thought that everyone would get a kick out of those old photos! As far as the helmet law deal, it wasn't until the fuel-crunch of the '70s (the long lines at the gas station where your license plate letters/numbers dictated which day you were allowed to fill up on fuel) that lawmakers started looking for ways to solve the fuel crisis.

Lowering the speed limit to save on fuel costs was one way of doing so. Then lawmakers decided on appealing to the safety issue since people were willing to shell out $$ for fuel. I think this was when the safety issue started catching on, along with the helmet law deal.

Of note, when people who don't have insurance end up getting hurt in MVAs (motor vehicle accidents), the state/county has to pay for the health care costs (i.e. others pay for it, not the injured person). this is part of the reason why it's a requirement for helmets in most states now. the average guy/gal down the street probably will say, "why should I pay for that person's health care when I don't even know them and they knowingly put themselves at very high risk by not wearing approved safety equipment?"

I'd like to NOT go on a debate on whether people should or shouldn't wear safety equipment. I'm just pointing out some facts.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Off the subject a little, but do all states require you to where seatbelts, while in a car?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
i know in California, it's required. i've heard various stories on passenger seatbelts though... if the passenger is a minor and is caught not wearing one, the driver gets the citation. if the passenger is an adult, then the passenger gets the citation.

i could be wrong and those stories could just be tall tales

·
Registered
98 Posts
Surprisingly, I've had plenty of HD folks compliment my Rossi (sun/moon) replica helmet when it was sitting on my Harley ;D - I'm not the only one I've ever seen wearing a ff on a Harley either although the majority don't.

The helmet law went in effect in California in 1991. I had to talk my way out of a ticket once then, had just taken my bike off the battery charger and rode it around the block when a cop happened to come by :p...

I'm almost ready to give in to an Aerostich for commuting just so I won't have to pay attention to the weight of my jeans - so many women's jeans are part spandex and lightweight anymore. If I'm going to ride a lot I'll wear full leather - otherwise just jeans and whatever jacket I feel like, over the years I've gotten a few. I do like wearing good boots though. Most of the time, held gloves but I have some others if the weather changes or the helds need to dry

W

·
0 Posts
In NY, seat belt laws apply to all front seat passengers.

If the passenger is a minor, the driver gets the summons. If the passenger is an adult, they get the summons.

Summons is steep too...around $100.

Regarding helmets...

Now, I am not suggesting anything...but if you do get caught because your helmet was just recently (coff) stolen (coff) while the bike was parked outside the church you regularly volunteer at...well, that might be reason to just let you go on your way...

Not that I'm suggesting anything...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
If you are caught riding a passenger without a helmet who gets cited? The passenger being an adult over 21?

R

·
0 Posts
I have two 2-piece full-zipper connect at waist. I wear them if I'm going out of town, period. Set one, good thick leather, padded shoulder/elbows, knees, handmade from Pakistan, they are llined and are Spring/Fall wear - ~8 years old, I had the jacket relined, and Leathermaids in Seattle put in a brass zipper. Set 2, 1 year old, Hein Gericke FirstAGear Speeware Superbike Jacket and Pants, Semi-soft armor shoulders & elbows, 46 L, Pants have armoured knees, 34 Long. The jacket and pants have cloth panels in non-impact areas, back of leg, inside thighs, and V'd crotch, inside of arms and under the arms, as well as fore and aft, chest slash zippered vents, it;s a summer jacket or take raingear with you, if below 50 degrees.

N

·
0 Posts
i am not sure why this is but here in the uk it is not uncommon for other riders (usually the advanced rider types) to preach to you about your kit if they think its inappropriate. they just assume you dont know any better. lecture over they then tuck into their heart attack on a plate (fried english breakfast) and light up a full fat marlboro.

·
Registered
210 Posts
8) ;D I have a HJC leather jacket with pads in the arms,back, and shoulders.It has been a great jacket for not alot of money.I also have an Arai helmet,Alpinestar gloves.Icon also makes an excellent low priced glove.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts