Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
You'll never guess what the gear of choice is in the Philadelphia, PA area!! 1 out of 20 riders you see full leathers. For the most part you see, shorts(the baggy kind) t-shirt and sneakers with no socks!!! For cooler days they where jeans(usaully the baggy kind) t-shirt maybe a hooded sweatshirt, sneakers, no socks!! The Harley riders, usually jeans (chaps in colder weather) a good HD leather jacket leather gloves, and on your noggin, a (novelty) skid lid!!! A full face helmet on a Harley is a no-no!!! I... wear a good HD leather jacket, jeans good leather gloves, a fullface for the Ducati, a skid lid for the Harley??? Almost nobody around here wears full leathers, can anybody explain why???In the summertime you see guys riding with NO shirts, shorts and flip flops!!!!The girls especially the HD as little as possible!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hello DUCnHAR,

You seem to be describing many areas in Southern California, though you see more cow skin worn in the twisties. In most metropolitan areas of the USA that I've visited, most of the riders do not wear nearly enough protection. I like my skin too much to ride naked; the only thing naked is my bike... ;) ;D

·
Registered
58 Posts
What you wear all depends on the level of risk you are personally comfortable with taking. It's not a fashion show or a test of bravery. Motorcycling is already a more dangerous mode of transportation than a cage but we've all decided that's a risk we'll take.

I wear jeans most of the time (have one pair of leather pants but rarely wear them). In the summer, for commuting I wear a T-shirt only, for touring I usually throw on a jean jacket or a leather jacket to stop the sun from beating down on me. I got a DOT Beanie for the cruiser and a 3/4 with shield for the Duc and inclement weather. I also have a rain-proof touring jacket with removable lining for winter and rain and pull-over rain pants. But I always where good leather boots (Chipiwa (sp?)) and good leather gloves.

I would ride without a helmet if it were legal here. In fact, the beanie is illegal in Japan ... over 400cc and your ears have to be covered by the helmet, but I haven't been stopped yet.

I like feeling the wind on my face and arms (I understand why dogs stick their heads out of windows in cars).... it makes me feel more in tune with the environment and the bike ... with a full-face I feel safer if I get hit, but I feel like I have less chance of avoiding being hit due to being more distant to my environment.

Well ... that rambled on a bit, eh ... remember this is just my opinion and your milage may very.

Ride safe and ride often everyone

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
i had purchased a size "S" pair of leather pants that matches my armored jacket but it was way too large (looked like a medium) - i had it altered for $45 to fit me (picking it up either today or tomorrow).

for the summer, i have the phoenix jacket and pants (same fitting problem - not sure how much i'd be charged for altering the pants again but i'm going to try it).

W

·
0 Posts
I'm always in leather (while on the bike), Daniese Jacket and Alpinestar Pants.

R

·
0 Posts
I wear a Dainese 'K' suit for commuting every day (one piece, full armour, spine protector, even has the back 'hump'), Alpinestars S-MX boots and Spidi 3 Composite gloves (has the steel mesh on the knuckles, scares the hell out of cagers..), infact, along with my Arai RX7 helmet, I'm the perfect image of a racetrack refugee and that scares cagers too! I'm just paranoid about safety ::) the couple of crashed I've had have been in full leathers and I've walked away every time.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
were those racetrack crashes or commuting route crashes?
Daffe,

I've lowside crash-tested a set of previous generation Dainese one-piece at about 80 mph on the racetrack and came away pretty much unscathed. No injury in the armor areas and a very minor burn/rash in an unarmored area. Spidi gloves wore through, but no injury. Alpinestars boots were fine; no foot/ankle injury. Your mileage may differ -- often depends on how you fall.

HTH

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I just got my altered leather pants back today - they fit MUCH better! no more slidey-slidey anymore.

ALSO found out that although mine comes with the soft CE-approved armor, it is removable and can be exchanged for the hard GP plastic armor (just like all the other armored pants/jackets out there?) So far, the only non-removable piece is on the jacket (back protector). weird

I wear the Kobe Dragon Breeze jacket and pants now... the pants have 2 front pockets that are pretty deep (maybe 5" in height, 4" in width?) to carry change, etc. I think it's pretty nice and it sports the thicker leather that most custom suit makers use.

M

·
0 Posts
What you wear all depends on the level of risk you are personally comfortable with taking. It's not a fashion show or a test of bravery.
just my observation, but it seems that cruiser (big twins specifically) folks tend to take more personal injury risks than necessary. for some reason that genre scoffs at the idea of wearing adequate protection. not sure if it's a carry over from the machismo or if it's just a complacency with the type of riding and illusion of safety offered by the larger bike. i don't want to say it's the same mentality you'd find on flip-flop, backwards baseball hat, tank top, blade-wearing squidly types... that is just stupidity. i'm more inclined to call my cruiser/bruiser buddies ignorant/just not knowing any better.... too many times i hear the words "if you gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough."

that being said, i frequently ride with cruiser guys and frequently get chastised for wearing gear. most of the time it's looks of exasperation when i take the time to suit up when i get comments about the "freedom" of not wearing all that crap. but i've survived being run into by a taurus and another incident where i catapulted head first into a guard rail; both occurred with relatively minor injuries because of wearing gear.... both of which could have easily resulted in my death by just a glance at the aftermath on those helmets. i also have a few friends with me today because of gear and i've lost a few friends because they chose not have it.

so with that said please stop to think before you ride... complacency can and will kill you. okay off soapbox.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I used to wear leather chaps, full jacket, leather gloves, the works. I'd always get comments like, "aren't you hot, why are you dressed like that, it's not wintertime!" At the harley events I'd be the only one in full leather. Everybody would look at you as if you'd lost your mind!!So, as the years rolled by, I slowly went towards the "norm" and ditched some of the protective gear. Now that I have my Monster and am hearing you guys I'm having 2nd thoughts on the gear. But still I'd be out of the ordinary here in my area, but that should not be the deciding factor!! I know... risk vs style???!!!But when you are riding with a group of people and all have on T-shirts and jeans and skid lids, you sort of feel very out of place with full leathers. Sigh.... Whats a girl to do!!??( the most sensible???)

R

·
0 Posts
were those racetrack crashes or commuting route crashes?
One crash commuting and one just tooling about.
But with my previous suit (a Dainese Rock 2pc) I had loads of crashes racing Mini Motos (Pocket bikes to you US side peeps), lowsides, highsides etc, some quite nasty!

But put it this way, the K suit I have now is the same suit that some of the 'fill in' riders wear in the MotoGP series, I figure if its good enough for GP riders, its probably good enough for me!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
from the ricecooker crowd that I used to ride with when I had my Gixxer, some of them didn't wear the full gear for fear of looking like a squid... AND about 1/2 of the ones who chose to wear full gear did so to attract attention (not a real hooligan attitude but the "arrest-me in my Happy Meal suit" attitude. the other 1/2 did so out of safety reasons

·
Registered
346 Posts
How many of you wear full leathers when riding? One-piece or two-piece?

Always full battle gear. Two-piece black leather suit (Damen Snakebite), padded on lower arms, shoulders, upper and lower back, shins, hips. Underneath I wear (depending on the weather) jeans, t-shirt, polar fleece, shorts, shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, sweater, double knitted socks, nothing at all,...
Alternatively (when it's really cold) I wear the leather pants of the suit, and a Hein Gericke (R) "All Weather (tm)" weatherproof motorcycle jacket.
Furthermore: Forma boots (*).
Leather gloves (depending on the weather either my goretex/leather combination padded ones, or my leather summer gloves with hard protectors).
Helmet, of course. Ducati/Suomy "Superbike" helmet.

(*) the same company that makes Rino boots. The only difference between Forma and Rino is that (A) Rino is a little bit more well known, and (B) whether R I N O or F O R M A gets stamped on the boot.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You'll never guess what the gear of choice is in the Philadelphia, PA area!! 1 out of 20 riders you see full leathers. For the most part you see, shorts(the baggy kind) t-shirt and sneakers with no socks!!! For cooler days they where jeans(usaully the baggy kind) t-shirt maybe a hooded sweatshirt, sneakers, no socks!! The Harley riders, usually jeans (chaps in colder weather) a good HD leather jacket leather gloves, and on your noggin, a (novelty) skid lid!!! A full face helmet on a Harley is a no-no!!! I... wear a good HD leather jacket, jeans good leather gloves, a fullface for the Ducati, a skid lid for the Harley??? Almost nobody around here wears full leathers, can anybody explain why???In the summertime you see guys riding with NO shirts, shorts and flip flops!!!!The girls especially the HD as little as possible!!
If you insist on riding a HD, why not wear a Roof Helmet?

I think these are pretty cool for naked bikes, and even for agricultural purposes such as riding HD's... ;)

And no, I'm not affiliated with Roof Helmets (www.designerhelmets.com)

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
would you get heckled if you wore a full face? (what's the reason for the "no no" when riding an HD w/a full face helmet?)

i'd think that keeping your jaw intact in a crash would be reason enough for putting up with heckling. the other day, a college student in a 2000 mustang totally ran a red light... i was in the turn lane turning onto the main road. the light was green for at least 2 seconds for me - i started across the intersection and this red mustang comes out of nowhere - she didn't even change lanes to avoid me (luckily i was in the car so my off the line starts are much slower than on a motorcycle). if i was on the monster, i would have smashed her windshield with my body and the monster would have been toast.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I'm sorry to say but you do get heckled if you wear a fullface on a harley. I don't know why, but it's just not the the helmet of choice in the harley groups. At an event with 1,000's you'll be lucky to find 50 fullface helmets! Usually skid lids or nothing in a helmetless state.(shrug!!, Sigh!! )

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
dBuvens, " agricultural purposes " ??? Does that have something to do with "MANURE"? ( haha ) Ya better watch out I used to mik cows for a living and my sons still do!! We know all about "manure"!!!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
as long as it's all in good fun, I'd probably put up with the heckling if I rode an HD with a full face helmet. I already get heckled as it is for various other reasons. My riding buddies/buddi-ettes are good people so they don't intend any "harm" with the poking and prodding.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts