Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
White helps quite a bit with other vehicles being able to see you, but it also shows dirt a lot easier. I went with a white 1 piece and am very happy with it, however I only wear it a few times a year.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
After doing my first couple of track days this month I have to commit to a 1-piece. I like the black with white. Keep us posted!
'Preciate it Ned & Denver, cheers boys
Denver, you know how white gear is...had a Dainese racing pelle and spent more time cleaning it than riding in it ffs...i do agree on the visibility part though.

Re-read the thread from the beginning and...lots of good info from everyone, obviously though, everyone has its preferences.

Again, yes, the 2-piece IS more convenient/practical for trips for obvious reasons but, price is the same between the 2 versions plus, the 1-piece...i don't know, maybe is also a psychological thing (regarding the safety between the 1piece Vs the 2piece).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Welp, the race hump on the Laguna seca evo is huge... The one on the Crono and Trickster are smaller compared to the Laguna...
Any experience gents on wearing a backpack when also wearing a suit/jacket with a (big) race hump ?
I'm afraid is going to [email protected] the aerodynamics while also being uncomfortable (i.e: backpack pushing towards the lower side of my back due to the grade/tilt caused by the race hump).

Kind of a specific question since not all race humps are equal in size...

Cheers

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Welp, the race hump on the Laguna seca evo is huge... The one on the Crono and Trickster are smaller compared to the Laguna...
Any experience gents on wearing a backpack when also wearing a suit/jacket with a (big) race hump ?
I'm afraid is going to [email protected] the aerodynamics while also being uncomfortable (i.e: backpack pushing towards the lower side of my back due to the grade/tilt caused by the race hump).

Kind of a specific question since not all race humps are equal in size...

Cheers
Anyone ? Sorry for the bump gents but i'm ready to pull the trigger on the Laguna seca so...

Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nice looking suit Rosso. Good reviews. The hump has air intakes to keep you cool. I think I will go for the same one shortly. Then we could compare humps ;-)

Do you just use a back-pack on your travels? I much prefer using a rear luggage like the DP or SW-Motech. It lowers the weight and leaves you free and comfortable, no additional weight for leaning/cornering/riding, etc.Won't work for a pillion of course...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Nice looking suit Rosso. Good reviews. The hump has air intakes to keep you cool. I think I will go for the same one shortly. Then we could compare humps ;-)

Do you just use a back-pack on your travels? I much prefer using a rear luggage like the DP or SW-Motech. It lowers the weight and leaves you free and comfortable, no additional weight for leaning/cornering/riding, etc.Won't work for a pillion of course...
Hey Ned ;)

Unfortunately i do (wear a backpack that is) because i always ride alone and was lazy to actually buy some saddlebags (besides, too much of a hassle putting/removing the saddlebag racks etc).

Found the DP tailbag from a guy for 100€ so we'll see how that goes - i just hope that i'll have some room to move with the backpack + tailbag expanded...

Regarding the backpack again, i just wouldn't be able fit all of my stuff for a 4-5 day trip on small-ish (18-20lt) tailbag (unless of course you go for the really big ones), so, i just got an expandable backpack which so far has proved to be amazing, really comfy, up to 45lt, lots of compartments, waterproof etc etc...
Yes, i do understand the risks in case of a get-off while wearing one but...

Anyway, back to the suit again : this should be an easy/quick buy BUT, i'm worried about the whole huge race hump+huge backpack+ (expanded) tailbag combo now, as in, i can't say how comfortable or uncomfortable that would be - this is a non-issue obviously for the track (since this topic IS about race-suits), me being on the fence right now has solely to do with traveling comfort.

So, you're also thinking about the Laguna eh ? Looks like a good suit for the 740€ asking price (over here).Also saw the Trickster 2014 model and...it's brilliant, 1150€ price-tag though - you can thank the kangaroo leather for that ;) (the 2015 model goes for 1400€)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nice looking back pack but yes, you may have some fit issues between these. I find that both results in some catching/rubbing between the two which is not a safety or real discomfort issue, but can annoy the crap out of you after a few hours. Personally I try to target the best scenario but at the end of the day if I have a little discomfort/annoyance on the first trip, I would then just try adjusting around. Maybe less in the tank bag or such...you know you can get 4 days out of your draws right? Front-side, back-side, outside-front-side, outside-back-side ;-) The back pack does look like smooth edges which is good.
I was able to travel with the DP tail bag for 4-5 days but it was just riding and the pub at night, I wasn't packing my dancing shoes and good shirt for a night on the town. I'm not sure an extra 1/2 inch of hump will make that much difference for your fit - some of the ladies might disagree!
I recently added an SW-Motech fast clip on tank bag, only a small one for short day trips but they do make some mid/larger ones. I really love it and for sure with the tail bag and tank bag I won't be using a back pack. It's also good to lay over the tank bag when tucking in on the highway...can be pretty comfy...was thinking I might have a little nap on it the first time I took it out ;-)
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice looking back pack but yes, you may have some fit issues between these. I find that both results in some catching/rubbing between the two which is not a safety or real discomfort issue, but can annoy the crap out of you after a few hours. Personally I try to target the best scenario but at the end of the day if I have a little discomfort/annoyance on the first trip, I would then just try adjusting around. Maybe less in the tank bag or such...you know you can get 4 days out of your draws right? Front-side, back-side, outside-front-side, outside-back-side ;-) The back pack does look like smooth edges which is good.
I was able to travel with the DP tail bag for 4-5 days but it was just riding and the pub at night, I wasn't packing my dancing shoes and good shirt for a night on the town. I'm not sure an extra 1/2 inch of hump will make that much difference for your fit - some of the ladies might disagree!
I recently added an SW-Motech fast clip on tank bag, only a small one for short day trips but they do make some mid/larger ones. I really love it and for sure with the tail bag and tank bag I won't be using a back pack. It's also good to lay over the tank bag when tucking in on the highway...can be pretty comfy...was thinking I might have a little nap on it the first time I took it out ;-)
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
85 Posts
'Evening boys

After my last bike-trip to the Balkans a couple of months ago and with another one around the corner (come summer) i think it's time for a leather suit.

Now, i hear you say "what's wrong with corduras ?" well, leather is always preferable from a protection standpoint, plus, it's not like you can go to the track in a cordura set.

Money's kinda tight but i will not skimp on protection, after all, a good suit is an investment and will last you many years (if properly taken care of).

Here's my dilemma though : 1-piece or 2-piece ? i understand the pros and cons between the 2 of them and that's basically a trade-off between protection and comfort.
Now, the suit is going to be used mainly for trips/travelling (with a couple of trackdays thrown here 'n' there) so i'm trying to put things into perspective here :

Summer, 35++ degrees celsius...leathers...yeah, you know the feeling...not a fun one, especially if you're used to (vented) corduras/summer jackets/gear.
An under-suit is mandatory obviously, still, there's no denying that you can't really avoid sweating like a pig while wearing one during the hot months.

Regarding now the 1-piece Vs 2-piece :

Yes, a 1-piece one is obviously more safe but...what about those rest-stops ?
Thinking it's going to be a nightmare in case of trying to take a piss - or even worse - a dump - 'cause we all know how "clean" gas-stations in the middle of nowhere can be, am i right ?
Just imagining half of the suit...lying down on the floor...yeah, not the prettiest picture nor the most ideal/hygienic one.
In fact, i'm really interested in the "art of taking a dump when wearing a race-suit:registered:", care to shed some light on this ?

The 2-piece, well, it's obviously going to be more comfortable generally speaking, still, it's missing on the protection part compared to a 1-piece one (duh).

Don't know gents, my mind tells me to get a 2-piece suit but my heart...a 1-piece one, again, i'm looking at this as an investment and i'd hate to make a bad choice.

Do any of you travel frequently wearing leather suits ?
Is there a noticeable difference between a vented/perforated one and a non vented/perforated one ?

keep in mind, i'm going to be doing/travelling 600+ Km's a day - don't know if that says anything about the comfort factor of the suit.

Thanks in advance boys, any info will be greatly appreciated
I roll with a 2 peice leather Dainese suit (c2 racing jacket/delta evo pants), the way I see it, I might be on the track a couple times a year, but the rest of the time I'm on the street. However, from Dainese at least, the two peice suit is not meant to be worn without the bottoms because the jacket is actually shorter and the pants come up higher which would look funny in a pair of jeans and offer little protection for your lower back (at least that's what the sales guy told me). So I went with separates, a little more expensive but the versatility is great.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Sdang, thanks man ;)

Ok boyos, ordered the Laguna seca evo which i'm gonna have it delivered next week.

Now...gonna need a base layer, some new gloves AND a fookin' full spine/back protector - after all these years, it never ceases to amaze me just how expensive our hobby is, wallet = R.I.P, me mum was right, i should have become a cager and/or gotten a boat instead of a bike, **** would have been less expensive...

Anyway, back protector and gloves i've got it covered, what about base layers though ? No chance in fookin' hell i'm gonna spend 130€ for the Dainese ones, thing is, i've also taken a look at under-armour, Nike, Adidas etc and...****'s still expensive ffs.

Will any kind of tights/lycras do or... ? meaning, if i could get some bicycle/basic sport ones ones will i be good to go ?

Getting a car, be right back...

Edit : JTP, love you too buddy

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I'm commander Shepard and this is my favourite way of losing weight on the citadel :

[/URL][/IMG]

Went for a ride yesterday on a mountain road to break it in and...****'s amazing, the perforation really does wonders, like in, hory shitu...
And oh, the vented race-hump ? it really does work too, when in the tucked position you really can feel the air circulating around your back...

i'm 1.74/1.75cm, 'bout 77Kg and went for the size 50 -pretty comfy but still tight (especially when wearing a full back protector) obviously since it's not properly broken-in yet, the feel of wearing a 1piece suit really is something, it's like a 2nd skin.
Pretty easy to get in-get out of it (undersuit does its job) so, the idea of taking a dump in some God-forsaken gas station in the middle of nowhere doesn't sound like a pipe dream anymore :D

The only "problem" is wearing my A* SMX plus boots with it - i lift the cuffs above my ankles and still, i can't fully zip-up the boots.

Anyway, really nice suit gents, really nice stitching, details and - if you have a "Euro build" - you can't beat Dainese when it comes to sizing, this thing feels like it's custom tailor-made, this is why i (almost) exclusively go for Dainese products, many will say that they're overpriced (they kind of are) but...their sizing - at least for my build type - is almost flawless.

Really, really glad i went for the perforated/summer version, it really does make a difference even when moving at slow 50-60km/h speeds, i'm a happy camper...

PS : to answer my own question, no probs whatsoever wearing a backpack with it, although, race-hump + lowered backpack + tailbag (especially if it's a tall/extended one) = no go since you basically have no room to move.

PS2 : camel toe

·
Registered
582 Posts
Good to hear that the deliberation paid off and you are happy with the results. Putting this one on my Christmas list!

If you stick your avatar's head on that pic Rosso you might look alright ;-)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
1 Posts
The jacket is simply shorter and the pants arise higher which would look funny in a pair of jeans and offer little to choose the motorycycle helmet, see this blog protection in your lower again (at the least that's what the income guy advised me). So I went with separates, a touch greater expensive but the versatility is top notch

·
Registered
2 Posts
new here, definitely nice post indeed. I am on same boat, one or two piece. My only concern is taking a crap, but since I am a guy luckily I dont need to remove the one piece to go #1, however on the rare occasion I got #2 I guess I have to remove the full suit.

Tried one piece at the store and it fits like a glove, super comfortable on the bike, I do love that it is more comfortable less complicated parts to zip up together, but the other side is saying two piece for practicality, guess you cant win em all.

Great Suit btw, I am in between missile suit with the airbag.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My fave is a 2 piece Z custom suit.
It has a heavy duty zipper that goes almost all the way around, holding pants to jacket.
It's not coming apart unless I unzip it, which is easy.
The best part is the custom fit, made to my personal dimensions.
And it is top quality kit. (y)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts