Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got my new Arrow high-mount slip-ons installed. I start the bike and notice that the left one is leaking pretty heavily at the header pipe. After removing it and doing some trial and error with an exhaust pipe expander, the leak is solved. Ok, now I realize that the right one is leaking at the header pipe as well. I do the same thing, but even at the point that any more use of the expander would result in the pipe not fitting in the header, the darn thing still leaks. Any suggestions?

Also, I've found that if I leave off the bracket that ties the middle of the right side exhaust s-pipe to the upper rearset mounting bolts, the pipe lines up better with the header and leaks less. However, if I leave that bracket off, the outlet of the muffler angles away from the center of the bike and looks like s*it from behind the bike, not mention not matching the left side outlet.

This is the first set of slip-ons I've installed on this bike. Am I expecting too much? Someone told me today that all slip-ons leak a little. Is that true?

Any advice on the leak at the header pipe would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I thought the purpose of slip ons was that you did not change the header pipes, so why would they be leaking.

M

·
0 Posts
Ducati header pipes are not the most consistently/uniformly formed devices. Maybe Guido in the factory gets tired by the end of the day and some of the mandrel bends are lacking in proper execution. :)

I had a similar problem with a new pair of Remus cans and wound up having to loosen the header-exhaust port flanges and rear cylinder clamp to get everything settled-in properly with each other. Then I torqued it all back together to spec starting with the cannisters and working my way back up to the flanges

Seems to have worked so far, not sure where I moved the stress-point to..... but so far so good

P

·
0 Posts
I think I have the same problem with my Remus / DP titanium pipes. Gotta fix it, but how does that affect the performance and engine ? After changing to the Remus pipes and open K&N filter the bike doesnt run too good, could a leak be the problem (apart from the FI need to be adjusted) ?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I use the high temp red RTV liquid gasket sealent works pretty good and comes off easy too.
You can usually buy it at Walmart

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Try Permatex blue RTV sealant. The red RTV is good to about 400 deg F; the blue is good to about 650. I used the blue on my Hindle cans and it worked OK. No leaks so far. I got it at ACE Hardware, but most parts houses should carry it.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've used the Hi-Temp copper RTV in the past, but recently tryed some FMF sealant 'tape'. You stretch it to the thickness you need and wrap the pipe before inserting. Works reeeealy well. Made for motocross bikes.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cool thanks for the tip on the sealant tape. My LV cans are leaking at the joint as well, I just noticed some sooty residue and can feel some air blowing back. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are metal seals "o" rings that might need to be replaced if they're missing. Check the parts diagram

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts