Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tank just started to leak after 12 months on the road. The leak was around the hinge at the base of the tank. I have been told this problem can occur if you tilt your tank up while it has too much fuel in it. If that is right then this must be a common problem. I'm betting most people don't drain their tanks everytime they want to "look under the hood".

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Personally, I've only had one of my own tanks leak, & that was after about 6 years, & wasn't at the hinge. But, I've fixed a bunch of hinge leaks for other people, it seems to come up in about 10% of the tanks I fix. In defence of Ducati, most of the tanks I see have been in crashes.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I voted never, but actually it leaked after I crashed the bike. But there were no leaks in the preceding six years. The tank was donated to Norm to see what he can do with it.

H

·
0 Posts
My understanding on hinge area leaks, is , if the latch is to tight, it places undue stress on the hinge. I always thought my latch was too loose, so I tightened it, then read somewhere about the leaks, so I loosened it back up. No leaks so far, but it's still early! :-/

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Mine doesn't leak, but I've only had the bike a little over a year. That said, IIRC SoCalSar has had 3 tanks start leaking at the hinge on his S4........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts