Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil a couple of months ago to prep the bike for winter. Did the usual warm the bike up, change the oil, button the bike up and run it for a while to make sure there are no leaks. Did that, and there were no issues. I made sure to just hand tighten the filter. Now that spring has arrived and I have been riding enough to accumulate a couple of hundred miles, I have developed a leaking oil filter. It there an easy fix for this w/o making a mess or changing out the fresh oil? Should I just let it leak until the next oil change? If I were to just pull the filter off and replace it, how much oil would I lose out of the engine. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

S

·
0 Posts
DON'T let it continue to leak. you'd be surprised how very little oil your rear tire requires to wash right out from under you. yes, first hand experience here.
it's a bother, but do it the right way and save yourself some repair $$. if you're not about due for a change anyways, get a CLEAN container to drain the oil. then remove and reinstall the filter. inspect the gasket and make sure it's not dried up and crumbly. if it's still good, reuse it. if the gasket looks shot, spend the $$ and install a new filter.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was my biggest fear with just leaving it. Coating the rear tire and trying out the CC frame sliders was not my idea of a good time. I'll try tightening it more to see if the leak goes away. If not, I will just drain it into a clean container and reuse everything.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
555 Posts
oil filters need to be tightened more than hand tight...well i guess if you have real strong hands it might be ok...not!
ducati calls for 11nm torque
thats not a whole lot but better than most will get by hand (unless you have one of those cool clicker type wrists that snap when you get to the proper torque).
aluminium engines change shape (size) a bit when hot so after a few heat cycles the filter could loosen if not originally tight enough.
better tight than sorry.
cheers

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think there's some variability in "hand tight" as well. Hand tight will generally work if you mean tight enough to compress the gasket. This is another quarter to half turn after feeling resistance. With the arrangement on the Duc, compressing the gasket by hand is tougher to achieve, and you're right, 11NM is fair bit of torque (more tha I can get on an oil filter).

oil filters need to be tightened more than hand tight...well i guess if you have real strong hands it might be ok...not!
ducati calls for 11nm torque
thats not a whole lot but better than most will get by hand (unless you have one of those cool clicker type wrists that snap when you get to the proper torque).
aluminium engines change shape (size) a bit when hot so after a few heat cycles the filter could loosen if not originally tight enough.
better tight than sorry.
cheers

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I have had oil filters that would not seal in the last 2 years, one a Fram, other a Ducati. I have seen other duc filters bad as well. Just change it, its much cheaper than oil on the tire and eating asphalt.

M

·
0 Posts
i went through this with my st4 last year. now when i change my oil i hand tighten then put a quarter turn on the filter with the filter "socket" from ca-cycleworks. then start the bike and let it come up to temp. watch the area around the filter and if it leaks even a tad give it another quarter turn. let it run some more and so on. since using this method no leaking filters and no oil on tire. had an oily rear once, did some dirttrack style stopping up to a stoplight one afternoon, almost an ugly end. the lady behind me looked more scared than i did when i got it stopped. cheers.
mike

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the input. I tried to tighten up the "old" filter three times and the leaking never stopped. When I took it off there was actually a crease mark on the filter gasket that could have been caused by too much compression on the ID of the gasket. It looked like it wasn't seating properly. Who knows.

I swapped out the filter with a K&N that has the 17mm nut on the bottom and torqued it to the Ducati recommended 16.0 Nm + - 5% Started it up and there has been no leaking so far. I think having a warm engine is a big help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts