Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this the first time last night.

The tank is full, I go to prop it up to install the battery. I put it down and noticed that gas is leaking out of the gas filler cap...not a ton, but noticeable. Is this a common thing for Monsters?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Mine does it. I don't know if that makes it common or not but I wasn't too surprised that it leaked.

I never looked at it that close, but wouldn't propping up a full tank be asking a lot of the seal in both the filler hole and the breather?

Plus with the weak hinge set-up on the Monster tank I try to avoid propping up a full tank that far.

Do you still have the rubber neck thingy inside the filler cap? According to the manual ::) you are not supposed to fill up above the bottom of that unit. Mine fell off and is rattlin about in the tank so now I fill it to the brim and hopefully don't have to prop the tank until I've run it down some.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have that neck piece anymore, previous owner pulled it out I think. I tried not to prop her up when the tank is full either, but I really had no choice.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
By the looks of the weather around here You might as well yank the tank off all together and get busy on those winter mods. [laugh]

I've been thinking about some quick release connectors for my fuel lines to just get the damn tank totally out of the way but haven't researched it much yet. I've seen them mentioned here on occasion.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Desmo Elmer said:
By the looks of the weather around here You might as well yank the tank off all together and get busy on those winter mods. [laugh]

I've been thinking about some quick release connectors for my fuel lines to just get the damn tank totally out of the way but haven't researched it much yet. I've seen them mentioned here on occasion.
I put a QD that I got from chris in-line for my bike and it's very much worthwhile, especially for the price. Taking the tank off is even easier than it really should be now, granted it's just a tad easier for me with my carby in the first place, but still worth the effort for you I would think [thumbsup]

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Desmo Elmer said:

I've been thinking about some quick release connectors for my fuel lines to just get the d**n tank totally out of the way but haven't researched it much yet. I've seen them mentioned here on occasion.
That's where my problem started. I had already winterized it, filling up the tank completely, and than some bozo here had to put up some nice SIL Motor cf high pipes for sale....just kidding. The pipes were great.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
i believe the bike even says not to lift the tank when it's full

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.