Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I looked at my gas tank today, and noticed its leaking aroud nthe hing point, down by the seam.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this ? Obviously weld it, but how do I go about emptying the gas tank ?

Or better yet, how about instant metal used to bond car gas tanks ??

Has anyone had any luck with this ?

Thanlks !

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
take it too a ducati dealer and have them replace the tank under your warranty. if you want another color tank this the time too do that and it's free ;D

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ps: i had rust around the fill opening and ducati replaced the tank that was gray with a tank that is red . so if you are thinking about a change nows the time ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wish I could, but mine is out of warranty, plus, the dealer wanted $400 to mend it up. I was like, for that much, I could buy a small welder.

F that. So I went and patched it up myself !

Its amazing wwhat kind of welders you can buy for small jobs these days for very little $$. Went out, bought one, then just got done welding it. Took me more time figuring out how to drain the tank....got me a nice headache now from all the fumes !!!

Anyhow, after I did all this, my friends said I should have just used jb weld, or other types of clay expoxy for this type of fix. Apparently they turn into steel.

I had fun...and am high from the fumes now !!!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There really isn't ant epoxy that will hold up for the long haul. Ok for a quick fix on a car you're selling to someone you don't like, but that's about it. You did the right thing. I may have pressed the issue with Ducati, though. It's not something that should be happening on a 2 year old bike.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
It sounds like you got it. Just weld or braze all around that hinge area & then treat the inside of the tank with POR-15.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Norm turned me onto it, the product multi-step puts a rock hard coating that acts as a liner in the tank. Here is the website prp-porstore.com, they have all kinds of fun stuff for repair. Once again Norm is the man.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
It's a gas tank sealer that coats the inside of a tank to stop minor leaks & prevent rust. It's really good stuff, don't confuse it with Kreeme, which is really crappy stuff.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey norm, you ever use anything else like liquic metal, jb weld, etc ?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I use JB weld & similar products all the time, just not for lining tanks.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hey Norm,

Is this the same POR15 you'd use on classic car frames and such? How would one line the tank with that and make sure it leaves a nice, even coat everywhere?

A friend used a similar product on his Royal Enfield, but I think he had to full up the tank with it and let it sit a while. Then he just poured everything out again. I can't see this happening with the POR15 I've used in the past?

Thanks,

-R.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
One guy I know had 3 tanks replaced that were leaking. He also had been overtightening the front latch and that put stress on the hinge points. Backed off the latch tension and still running same tank.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The tank sealer is made by the same people who make the frame restoration stuff, but it's a different formula made specifically for gas tank interiors. You just prep the tank, pour it in, seal all the openings, & then shake'n'bake for awhile. Open the tank back up, check your coverage results, & pour out any excess. It's not tough to do, it just takes a little time & care.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so let me ask you this Norm, by the way thanks for al your help !!!, I have my other S4 that is leaking too, now that I checked it. So, I'm gonna use the jb weld, but this po15 stuff, where do I get it ?

Can I just use JB weld alone to seal the tank from the outside ?

Thanks agian !

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Figure people will get a kick out of this one.....

Now, this is after I welded and put globs of metal around the hing area, then on top of that, I used a jb weld type of "instant" metal to further reinfornce it.

Hopefully, the tank will rust out before it starts to leak out of this area again !!!

And to think, I went three months with a small leak (I was wondering why my garage smeelled like gas :)

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
As long as you get a good clean surface, I would think that the JB Weld would work, but with all the hidden surfaces around that hinge plate, I still prefer brazing there. I don't have the POR link handy, but if you do a basic search, it will come up for you.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, no leaks so far.....

I welded it, then put tons of liquid metal jb weld stufdf jsut to make sure as a secondary measure :)

today was an awesome ride...made me realize the beauty of the S4,especially after the FI was tuned

and no more smell of gas !!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
as of 6 hours, no more leaks !!!! NO LEAKS !!!!! BABAHAHAHAHAHA Duc dealer..... no, I'm just happy I saved a few hundred so I can order stuff from Chris Kelly or someone :)

It makes you put a smile on your face doesn't it :) ;D ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts