Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in there putting a 14t on the front when I realized it looks like the clutch slave is leaking. I took it off and cleaned in there a bit but it looks like it's leaking from the seal. I would rather fix it than throw down the cash for the evoluzione or yoyo whatever it's called. My bike is a 2000 m900 with about 7000 miles so I'm thinking the slave may be in good enough shape to fix it. Has anyone bought the evoluzione slave piston and used it with good results? Or maybe just the o-ring? I'm using the recommended DOT 4 and I topped it off about 2 months ago. Is there a better fluid to use? Since I'm on the subject, which bleeder should I buy? So many questions. Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a common problem with the earlier slave cylinder designs. Make sure the push rod rubber boot has not rubbed on the chain and has a hole in it allowing debris to enter and contribute to seal problems.
Many guys have changed to the after market slaves with good reports (some are better designs than others)...I've a M900 '95 model still running the OEM slave with no problems, but I do keep an eye on the area, and maintain the boot integrity. One can strip down the slave to check seal state , etc, although spares for the slave aren't listed in my spares book (anyone confirm if these're available as kits ?)
Any DOT4 product should be OK. Just maintain the level and changeout yearly. No special bleeder required other than what's on the slave at the moment (I've always found bleeding the clutch to be an easy job).
Hope this helps
...Simon

·
Registered
796 Posts
My slave just popped on me the other day (94 M900) and rather than try to fix it I went with the yoyodyne from ca-cycleworks. It was a piece of cake to install and bleed, also the pull is much easier and has better feel. I dont get the clutch groan when starting from a stop anymore either.
I will say, if you are in doubt fix it or replace it immediately. Mine went out on me as I was getting off the freeway so I had to let the bike stall (i couldnt find nuetral without the clutch) and then drag it off the road with the rear wheel locked up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts