Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are leather pants really worth it? I think leather jackets look cool with jeans, but I've never seen them with leather pants. Are they really that much safer than durable jeans? I don't think I have enough money to buy racing leathers.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Is having skin really worth it? No comparison between good leathers and jeans. Jeans will and do disintegrate on contact with pavement. Might as well be wearing shorts. Invest in some good pants. Check ebay. Or new enough or MLE... All good places to get leathers new or used online.

R

·
0 Posts
Leather pants are definitely worth it. Jeans are pretty much worthless in a crash. The only thing jeans are better than in terms of protection are shorts or slacks.

If you can't afford leathers, at least get some good quality textile riding gear. Aerostitch Dariens offer very good crash protection.

Not to sound harsh, but in my opinion you should be primarily concerned with the functionality of your riding gear before you worry about the look of it.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion on the leg protection you can buy and put under your jeans. It is padded in the knees, shins, tailbone, thighs and hips. however I'm not sure how well it would hold up in a crash. here's the web site.

www.actionstation.com

·
Registered
849 Posts
Adamizzer,

You're looking to do a lot of commuting, yes? Then get some good overpants that you can wear over your jeans (like the Darien that was mentioned before). Leather can be a bit unpractical for commuting.

And yeah, it's worth it.

-R.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I saw some nice First gear MeshTex >

pants last weekend for about $139. Fit fine either over my jeans or by themselves. I just bought matching leathers for my IXS jacket, but I'll probably get a pair of those MeshTex as well.

Adamizzer,

You're looking to do a lot of commuting, yes?

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I have a pair of the Bohn Armor Adventure pants from ActionStation.com that I wear under jeans. They have knee, thigh, hip & tail bone armor inside the spandex pants. They are hotter than jeans, but probably not as hot as I've heard Draggin' jeans are. Even with them on, there are areas (mostly on your bu_t) where there is no armor that would suffer in a skid, versus leather pants.
http://www.actionstation.com/body_armour2.html#Pants

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm wondering how well the armor stays in place once you meet the road. I also think (agree) they're not likely to last very long as you're sliding.

I have a pair of the Bohn Armor Adventure pants from ActionStation.com that I wear under jeans.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I'm wondering how well the armor stays in place once you meet the road. I also think (agree) they're not likely to last very long as you're sliding.
I haven't met the road yet, but the tighter your jeans are, the better the armor is likely to stay in place!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Leather pants only last about eight feet sliding? Most people slide close to thirty feet. What can I get for that kind of protection?

D

·
0 Posts
I always rode in jeans. Nothing could be more comfortable than jeans, right?

Nope. I got a pair of Teknic full perf leather pants. They suck for standing/walking, but are so comfortable when riding.

·
Registered
461 Posts
As an experienced crasher (as mentioned earlier in my defense of open-faced helmets), my observation is that jeans aren't any improvement on being naked.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I picked up a pair of heavy cowhide leather pants that are cut like a pair of 501's at an east indian flee market, two years ago for $100. They are very well made with a quality liner inside and are the most comfortable pants I own, on or off the bike. I went down on them at around 80km/hr and slid 50 odd feet with little more than some scuffing that a little shoe polish fixed up. I also have a two piece Joe Rocket suit (bought used) and a pair of JR jeans with the armour inside. Neither are as comfy as the cheapy leather pants and they are all I wear unless on the track and then it's the suit.

U

·
0 Posts
Casual observation: Safety aside, a guy is ten times sexier in leather pants than in jeans.

When you get leather pants, give them awhile to soften up. Once they do, you'll prefer them to jeans any day. Word of advice, though: Perforated.

H

·
0 Posts
Casual observation: Safety aside, a guy is ten times sexier in leather pants than in jeans.
Hmmm.... I never noticed. Chicks look good in them, though!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I wear jeans around town and when I'm going less than about 10 miles. I wear leather pants at all other times.

I slid down the road six months ago wearing First Gear textile riding pants and they wore through in several spots. I had Levis under them which probably protected me for about twelve more inches of sliding. I now have a permanent scar at the top of my left leg from the road rash.

I went out and bought an AlpineStar two-piece leather riding suit before I got back on a motorcycle again. I don't want to ever crash again, but if I do (and you never know when or why it could happen) I want to be fully protected.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts