Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Last ride with the bike of the season..tonight coming home from work. Garage is ready, not done, but ready. I expect the garage is an ongoing project to be sure but at least the floor is done.

Let the tear down begin!

·
0 Posts
Let's get some pics up when you do. Killer Bob is swinging over my crib this weekend to help me get some shyte done.

What exactly are you doing besides the squish?

R.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...lets see. Things I have to do and things I might add because I am there.

Squish because I am there anyway. Aluminum Biposto subframe but I have been entertaining Titanium even with the high $$. There is one thing I haven't mentioned yet because you'll think I am crazy...Carbon parts. They don't make an underside heatshield in carbon for the Biposto subframe so I might do it myself...done right by the way or not at all.

The real reason for the tear down is Valve adjustment. Possible mild short radius bowl work (porting) of intake and exhaust ports. I might carry out the chamber walls to the max diameter of the cylinder but 748's are small bore (probably can't do that anyway) and I will only do that if I gain enough compression from closing up the squish gap. I have to see when I am there. Cam Timing for sure. I am working out the details if I should go full adjustable or just update to DP ERGAL Pullies and work with offset keys. New timing belt of course but I need to investigate the 'story' I heard about different belt brands not working (high wear) with the DP pullies which means the higher $$ stock belts as apposed to Bucci. I would like to lighten some of my internals, gears and such since I have access to a machine shop and dynamic balancing equipment if necessary. Oh yah, paint my fairing on the one side and add frame sliders.

I would like to go over the bike and just check it out maintenance wise in general. Normally I keep it running all year and take it out even when it is bruttle out! I love riding by someone in a car when it's 13 deg's out.

BH knows I am entertaining something else ;) too

How about One of these?

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
everyone needs a good snow bike!

sounds like you'll have your hands full this winter Mike.

I've been thinking about putting a gixxer front end on my monster project. fully adjustable forks and radial calipers for about $400 on ebay. what do you guys think? will the Italian motorcycle gods strike me down with a bolt of lightning if I attempt such sacrilege?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOOK AT ME! I took and take crap about my Japanese pipes. I had a guy tell me they sounded awesome and a guy tell me they sounded like sh#t. We all use German, US, and other non Italian brands. Even Ducati uses Japanese electrical stuff.

I say go for it! I think classy interpretations with function rule and I would do it any day. You actually increase the capabilities of the bike. [thumbsup]

·
0 Posts
I'd do it. Fvck what people think, it's yours. BTW, my fuel filter in my tank was made in Germany plus I just read that Ducati will be having parts made elsewhere.

R.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Zatoichi931 said:
You actually increase the capabilities of the bike.
isn't that the truth. the stock suspension and brakes on the S2R, and quite a few other models isn't very good. Even if I upgraded to the 4 piston calipers that I have left over from a superbike, the gixxer brakes would probably still be better. especially if I used stainless lines. that doesn't even take into account the crappy forks on the duc!
I'm pretty sure I'll do it, just need to do a little more research first.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me know if you need to machine anything on a weekend.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it begins...ride home was brisk baby! I need Rubens battery powered gloves. Getting the wiring harness through the Subframe truss bit when one is tired (1:00AM). Clear thinking this morning allowed passage of the ECU plug and several relays. I will need to build the clutch tool now with access, at home, to a compressor for now. Didn't have every tool either so creative bolt removal tools were devised. I will correct that issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
garage floor looks good Mike!

creative bolt removal, that sounds like trouble [laugh]

let me know when you need the frame. I'll have some time off over the holidays too when we shut down, so if you need a hand with anything let me know, I'm sure I'll be bored.

what kind of machining capabilities do you have at the shop? CNC? I think I may need a set of custom triples to convert to gixxer forks. that's what I've been told by an expert. it seems that the easiest way to go is to use a complete gixxer front end (forks, brakes, wheel) married to a custom set of triples which use the duc steering stem. the gixxer wheel matches pretty well with the 3 spoke superbike wheels. I always did like the simple look of the 3 spoke wheels, and I think it would look especially good on this creation. hmmmm.....
how deep does the rabbit hole go?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Floor isn't perfect but overall I am happy. At least it was my own floor I screwed up and not my friends (I have done several!). I have since fixed the original problem I had.

A screw driver stuck into a 1/4 " socket to remove 8 mm bolts...worked better than I thought.

We have general stuff right at the moment but that is about to change in the new year. Lathe(s) and Mill(s) with turntable but old school. We have already discussed/approved getting a CNC Mill next year (after December) most likely Haas. I like old school because one learns so much the hard way but we can't afford to waste time anymore. We done some neat stuff though. We even have some OD and ID grinding capabilities.

I wouldn't rule out doing that conversion. By the time you have stuff figured out we should be ready. At least I hope so anyway!

·
0 Posts
Zatoichi931 said:
So it begins...ride home was brisk baby! I need Rubens battery powered gloves. Getting the wiring harness through the Subframe truss bit when one is tired (1:00AM). Clear thinking this morning allowed passage of the ECU plug and several relays. I will need to build the clutch tool now with access, at home, to a compressor for now. Didn't have every tool either so creative bolt removal tools were devised. I will correct that issue.
I add, nice looking floor and teardown as well! I envy that floor as my next project. Do any work this weekend (i.e. engine removal)?

R.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up cutting down dead trees in my front yard. Only caught 10 minutes of the game too. I was pooped after that. I am trying to think what I want to do next. I have to consider trying to get a baseline figure for my cam timing too before I go nuts tearing it all apart.

On Saturday I got started on the subframe jig. This way I can build the subframe with all the mounting points off the bike and it is useful if I choose to rebuild it in titanium. This depends on the outcome of the aluminum version. As always, building something is slow going at the start!

My winter cage also broke down on me while driving home on Saturday. Dumping trans fluid on the highway ..yippy!...more work..if its even fixable?!?$$!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One Forward Cylinder Cam pulled...two new rockers required. Openers of course, the closers look good as most say they will. One is actually flaked pretty badly. Oh well the blessing and curse of this vintage. I am sure I will add some more before all this is done. Maybe I'll just replace all my openers just to be sure...8x$50 :'(

Pull forward cylinder head tomorrow me thinks.

As I dig into this I come up with other projects as well. Maybe enlargening the forward part of the airbox which tends to overshadow my forward air intake horn within the airbox. Of course a custom aluminum coolant tank will have to replace the stock, known to leak, plastic coolant tank. [thumbsup]

More Pics to come soon...came up with another 'quick tool' which will save $$ for someone else trying this. The rocker pin pulling tool..One socket, several washers, one rusty nut (spacer), and a 5mm (I think) allen head screw.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts