Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see this in the FAQ and wanted to see what other people do in this situation:

What do you typically do if you are commuting on a busy, two-lane city street and as you're coming up to a stop light, you see there is another bike that has already lane-split through a ton of cars and is at the front of the line between the two lanes. Is it safe to lane-split as well and get behind the other rider? Or is it better to just get in line with the other cars?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Im with Scott. Sometimes I try to go to the other side of the car he is next to so we can have a little stop light race ;D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm guessing you're in Cali, so you shouldn't have any problem splitting right behind the other bike. Here in DC though...not so safe considering it's illegal...and the cagers are IDIOTS.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Check the bike *before* you line up behind him.

If you queue behind a scooter and he doesn't make a fast getaway you are going to be boxed in when the lights change, scooter in front cars on left and right, not a nice feeling.

Basically before your lane split if the cars are moving or not you always want an escape route infront (allows you to accelerate out of trouble and behind (to brake) in case someone doesn't see you and tries to squash you.

If there are loads of you travelling together, never get two or more bikes passing the same car at once, because the other bike will block one of your escape routes.

Regarding speed, don't worry so much about absolute speed as relative speed to the other cars is the stuff that causes accidents, I have a personal speed difference limit of around 30mph. Of course normal absolute speed rules still apply, faster is more dangerous.

Remember kids lane splitting is fun at 100mph, separates the men from the boys!

These are my personal opinions only.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I usually go to the other lane or right side. Nothing launches like a monster off the light anyway.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
rolling starts are always fun too (when you're still stuck about 2 - 3 car-lengths from the light and it turns green just give it lots of throttle to get ahead of all the cars).

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
rolling starts are always fun too (when you're still stuck about 2 - 3 car-lengths from the light and it turns green just give it lots of throttle to get ahead of all the cars).
They're more fun with the front wheel three feet in the air...

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I get most sensation when I can line the moving cars up and zig zag between them on a full throttle.

Pop out the other end at a ridiculus speed

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If there is already a bike at the front of the line, between the cars, I have to consider the situation before deciding if I'll split up there or not. If I watched the other bike split to the front, I'll already have an idea of how he's likely to take off when the light turns green. I'll get behind another bike if things look good.

It also depends on how many lights are coming up. If I'm somewhere like leaving Menlo Park to head across the Dumbarton Bridged on Highway 84 and it's the last light for five miles, you can bet I'll split up there to try to beat traffic. If there's another light in one more city block, I'll be more likely to hang back and split at the next one.

By the way, I don't split quite as much on the ST2 as I did on the Monster because the mirrors are more likely to bump the mirrors of other vehicles and those big saddle bags make it a little harder to squeeze into tight spots.

R

·
0 Posts
Maybe I am getting old, or its the fact I don't live in NYC anymore. But I tend to only split when things are 10 mph or slower. I hate sitting, but am patient enough to stroll as long as there is good eye candy riding in the cars next to me. When I was younger an single, I met a girl in traffic and went to a hotel with the woman. I guess I am just trying to re-live my youth.....

·
Registered
668 Posts
Dennis,
I bet You could still do that !

Dont let the years fool Ya ? We can do most of the stuff we did "earlier" and we can do them smarter and better !

Well, I mean You can. I am still YOUNG !!! ;D

Skier

R

·
0 Posts
I've heard you may get a ticket in some state or city...

The only think you need to be aware of those "sleepy" or "careless" car drivers!!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I try to go to the front if permissible. If not I'll usually go far enough within the lanes to avoid being rear ended if another rider is already at the front and its a tight squeeze. If not a tight squeeze, I'll usually get behind them. Just keep your space and you may have to be a little agressive to fend off cagers who think what you're doing is wrong. I think you need to be more agressive than passive while splitting lanes anyway.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Just so we don't get a bunch of responses listing the 49 states where lane splitting isn't legal, note that the only state where it's legal is California. 8)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try splitting with arabs in giant Landcruisers driving like mad men. That takes skillz!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
88 Posts
Go right up to the bike in front, side by side and say hello before blasting through the green

1 - 20 of 20 Posts