Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends and I were in Sac today and I clipped a Saturns mirror and broke the mount the glass was fine but the housing broke big time other than that only my pride was hurt. :-[
On the other hand my faith was restored in mankind as the woman whom I hit was really cool about the whole thing and is going to let me buy her a new mirror and fix the car myself
Anyone have a story like this they would like to share ? [laugh]

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Good on ya for stopping! I don't know the situation...maybe you couldn't run off. But, good job anyway for taking responsibility.

Twelve years and counting with no lane splitting issues, so no stories to share.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
[laugh] [laugh] <sheepishly raises hand>

I've done a mirror-ectomy once before myself. I was on the Bay Bridge two years ago, and I don't know if the guy pinched me a little, but I look down and the next thing I notice is that he's got a mirror dangling from the side of his car. I also stopped and apologized profusely. I assumed it was my fault, but he said he wasn't sure. The guy was very relaxed about it and we shook hands. I gave him my info and he never bothered to call me. I didn't get his number otherwise I would have sent him some $$ in the mail or something. I've been splitting on that bridge for about 3 years now--it's maybe 6 miles or so that I'm splitting. I'm hoping that's going to be my last incident for a very long time. (knock on wood) [thumbsup]

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I hit a mirror on the way to zeitgeist.. I didn't stop but there was not obvious damage to her mirror. My mirror just folded in an took the majority of the impact...

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I've hit a few mirrors before I bought the LS CRG's. One time I scared up a Dude's mirror pretty badly (or so I thought). I was splitting up to the front of the line on Wilshire and it was kinda tight. I stopped, killed the engine on the Cafe-Racer (so we could both think), and he rolled down his window. I rubbed off the scuff mark, he looked at it said,'We're cool.' I thanked him and rode on. Haven't done a bad one like that since... Couple of lesser hits, but I usually don't stop for those.

Now there have been times I wanted to punch the mirror off of someones car.... Are we counting those?!? >:D

D

·
0 Posts
The only mirrorectomy I've been involved in was on the bay bridge.

Stop and go traffic and the pickup next to me decides to slowly squeeze me into the car on the other side.

When I pulled up to the driver's window it was clear he knew I was there and he thought what he was doing was hilarious. So in keeping with the spirit of good fun and spirited hijinks I tore off his side view mirror and threw it off the bridge.

Oh how we laughed. Well, I was laughing anyway as I quicky zipped away. [laugh]

(still wondering how I survived my 20s :p....)

·
Registered
769 Posts
[thumbsup]

DrunkenMonkey said:

Stop and go traffic and the pickup next to me decides to slowly squeeze me into the car on the other side.

When I pulled up to the driver's window it was clear he knew I was there and he thought what he was doing was hilarious. So in keeping with the spirit of good fun and spirited hijinks I tore off his side view mirror and threw it off the bridge.

·
Registered
518 Posts
[thumbsup] I came so close to doing that once - same scene exactly! HA! Ha!

"Youth is never wasted on the young &
Wisdom is never wasted on the older."

DrunkenMonkey said:

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
No worries. I've tapped a rear view mirror or two with my CRG lanesplitters. All you can do is feel like a complete idiot, apologize profusely, and hope the driver doesn't try to run over the next motorcyclist he or she encounters. :-\

DrunkenMonkey said:

[thumbsup] [clap] That definitely fits into my theory of intentional or homicidally reckless acts regarding when you're allowed to assault a car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
mmmm... forgive me father, for I have sinned... I tapped a mirror (back when I had the Suzuki) on a Mini in traffic near Civic Center. I barely tapped it so I wasn't about to stop, but the person in the Mini was pissed and chased me for a little while, honking and honking. I finally got away, but I'm a lot more careful now when I'm splitting.
I don't know why cars have side view mirrors anyway.... it's not like anyone uses them ::)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[
I don't know why cars have side view mirrors anyway.... it's not like anyone uses them ::)

[/quote]

[laugh] [laugh]

D

·
0 Posts
petehed said:
[laugh]

I like how they're combining the turn signals with the side mirrors on some newer cars.

Ad tagline: "Now all the unused components are conveniently placed in a single location!" [thumbsup]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts